The Official #1 Tennessee vs Xavier Tuesday Game Thread (6:30PM EST SEC NET+)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
2A3038F1-787B-4A7C-A6DF-EE242A9E8C88.jpeg
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Fresh off a series sweep over Florida in Gainesville, the top-ranked Tennessee baseball team returns home to begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. against Xavier and Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

The Vols have won six straight heading into Tuesday's matchup with the Musketeers and will look to improve to 10-1 in midweek games with a victory.

BROADCAST INFO
Tuesday's game will be streamed live on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Andy Brock (PxP) and LVFL Madison Shipman (analyst) calling the action. The online broadcasts can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch.

Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara call the game on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990) as well as UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics App.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
LHP Zander Sechrist (3-0, 1.78 ERA) vs. RHP Connor Bailey (0-0, 2.84 ERA)

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: Tennessee leads, 5-1
In Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 4-1
In Cincinnati: 0-0
Neutral Sites: Tennessee leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: W, 17-1 in Knoxville (Feb. 21, 2010)

Tuesday will mark the first meeting between Tennessee and Xavier since a 17-1 victory for the Big Orange back in 2010. Five of the previous six meetings have been played in Knoxville.

NOTABLE
2022 Vols Stand Alone

With a series sweep of Florida this past weekend, Tennessee became to first team in the history of the Southeastern Conference to start league play 17-1. The previous record was a 16-1 start by the 1951 Volunteers, who finished that season as the College World Series runner-up.

Vols Cleaning Crew Back to Work
The Vols set yet another program record last weekend in Gainesville, recording their eighth series sweep of the year. The previous record for sweeps in a single season was seven by UT's 1994 SEC Championship team.

Tennessee's sweep of the Gators was its first in Gainesville since 2001. It was the first time Florida had been swept at home since 2013 and the first time they were swept in a home SEC series since 2006.

Moore Named SEC Freshman of the Week
Another Tennessee player has added his name to the long list of Vols who have earned SEC weekly honors this season. Christian Moore was named SEC Freshman of the Week on Monday afternoon after his late-game heroics in UT's 6-4 victory in Sunday's series finale at Florida.

Moore recorded the two biggest hits of his young career in the Vols' thrilling comeback victory, tying the game with two outs in the top of the ninth with a two-run single before hitting the eventual game-winning two-run homer in the 11th inning. Moore batted .500 and reached base in all four of Tennessee's wins last week. The Brooklyn, New York, native, had a hit in three of UT's four games while finishing with three walks and six RBIs for the week.

OPPONENT SCOUT
Xavier Musketeers
  • Record: 21-20 (5-4 Big East)
  • 2021 Postseason: N/A
  • 2022 Big East Preseason Poll: 3rd
  • Head Coach: Billy O'Conner (5th year)
  • Preseason Conference Honors:
    • C Jerry Huntzinger
    • 1B Luke Franzoni
    • SS Jack Housinger
    • OF Andrew Walker
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Luke Franzoni (.350)
    • Runs: Jack Housinger (45)
    • Hits: Luke Franzoni (50)
    • Home Runs: Luke Franzoni (16)
    • RBI: Luke Franzoni (47)
    • Stolen Bases: Jerry Huntzinger (16)
    • Wins: Jack Lynch (6)
    • Saves: Jerry Huntzinger (6)
    • ERA (min. 15 IP): Jack Lynch (2.82)
    • WHIP (min. 15 IP): Jack Lynch (0.99)
    • Innings Pitched: Luke Bell (39.0)
    • Strikeouts: Jack Lynch (52)

ON DECK
The Vols host No. 17/19 Auburn this weekend at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. Friday's series opener is slated for 7 p.m. ET and the first two games of the series will be broadcast on the SEC Network

Last edited:
I was planning on going to North Dakoda State University Bison's first home baseball game tomorrow evening . . . then I looked at the weather . . . LOL . . . NOT . . . I should be right here in my hotel room listening to John Wilkerson and banging on my keyboard!!!

GO BIG ORANGE!

Don’t really care if my video stream is off a bit from radio, but I’m gonna be listening to Wilkerson for the whole game. These SEC+ Network broadcasters on TV just aren’t as good.
Ex lady vol softball player madison shipman is calling the game 2mrw nite...but yes Wilkerson is the absolute best...I listen to him during every game

Last edited:
@preacherman20 . . . . your son is such a great young man . . . the story below is just awesome!!

(23) Love story blossoming on the Tennessee Baseball Diamond - YouTube

The "Stache" has to stay!!! LOL

Thank you for participating in the baseVOLS fourm, you "calm" the waters with your input and bring sanity to many conversations.

Lastly, Kirby is my youngest son's favorite VOL!! Thank you sir.

GO BIG ORANGE!
Great story indeed. I need the story behind the Cessna that they were posing in front of in the picture?

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
LHP Zander Sechrist (3-0, 1.78 ERA) vs. RHP Connor Bailey (0-0, 1.74 ERA)

The Xavier site shows their starter with a 2.84 ERA. He's pitched a total of 6.1 innings all year. His longest outing was 2.2 innings

Connor Bailey - Baseball - Xavier University Athletics

I live in Cincinnati and I'm told that Xavier's pitching is obnoxious bad but they can hit. For reference, Xavier played a weekend series against the#2 Beavers earlier in the season and lost 13-3, 9-0 and 5-4.

Yeah, don't take 'em lightly and I wouldn't count on a ten run win but by all means, jack up those offense numbers, guys

Hopefully we don’t flop like a few weeks ago my goodness why did that happen. Who is our pitcher Tuesday ? I get mid weeks don’t mean nothing but our batters are good enough to beat inferior opponents by them self with just decent pitching (we have amazing ). We didn’t hit good that game.
This worries me in tournament play just as it does it basketball when shots don’t fall. Ah well. Go vols !!!!!

Hopefully we don’t flop like a few weeks ago my goodness why did that happen. Who is our pitcher Tuesday ? I get mid weeks don’t mean nothing but our batters are good enough to beat inferior opponents by them self with just decent pitching (we have amazing ). We didn’t hit good that game.
This worries me in tournament play just as it does it basketball when shots don’t fall. Ah well. Go vols !!!!!
Projected pitchers and info is in above post...sechrist is the starter...

Be prepared for a nail biter and hope we don’t drop out of the rankings over a midweek game.

VN Store

Back