The Official #1 Tennessee @ Florida Weekend Series Thread (Friday 6:30PM EST SEC NET+) (Saturday 6:30PM EST SEC NET+) (Sunday Noon SEC NET+)

A starter that throws 4.2 in the MLB and exits the game with the lead and that team never gives it up that pitcher gets the win regardless. At the same time MLB rules and NCAA rules are different, I don't think the NCAA allows the Shohei rule where a pitcher can exit and still be a hitter like this year.

From MLB.com

Win (W)
Definition
A pitcher receives a win when he is the pitcher of record when his team takes the lead for good -- with a couple rare exceptions. First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective." (For example, if a reliever relinquished a one-run lead by allowing three runs, but was still in line for a win after his team scored four runs in the following inning -- that may qualify.) If that's the case, the scorer can award the win to a pitcher who followed that "brief and ineffective" pitcher. Which relief pitcher earns the win specifically is also up to the judgment of the official scorer.

I hate it when announcers do that crap.

"If you take away the ____ , then it's a different ball game."

That is so stupid ... and they do it in every sport.

"If you take away the 2nd Quarter of Super Bowl 22, then the Denver Broncos would have beaten the Washington Redskins 10-7." ...

... NO!!!!!!!!! Because Washington's 2nd half strategy would have been completely different, if they hadn't scored 35 points in the 2nd Quarter! Just like our approach to the next 7 innings would have been different. Any announcer who uses that logic, immediately reveals himself to be a book nerd, who doesn't truly understand how athletic competitions work.
Exactly. If even one play is different during the course of a game, the whole game following it likely changes in some way. It is the height of stupid to say what if this way. Just another reason those announcers were so bad.

A starter that throws 4.2 in the MLB and exits the game with the lead and that team never gives it up that pitcher gets the win regardless. At the same time MLB rules and NCAA rules are different, I don't think the NCAA allows the Shohei rule where a pitcher can exit and still be a hitter like this year.

Wrong. Dead wrong. A more accurate statement would be that the starting pitcher who pitched 4.2 innings gets the win: never. Here you go:

A pitcher receives a win when he is the pitcher of record when his team takes the lead for good -- with a couple rare exceptions. First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

Win (W) | Glossary | MLB.com

Show me the rule that allows a starter to get the win in less than 5 innings in a traditional MLB game

Reactions: drvenner
Anyone know if Redmond got a save there? I’m guessing no since he came in with the game tied.
This is not a flame, but I think that there are only two things in this world more difficult to understand whether or not a pitcher gets a save. These two things are women and the balk rule.

From MLB.com

Win (W)
Definition

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective." (For example, if a reliever relinquished a one-run lead by allowing three runs, but was still in line for a win after his team scored four runs in the following inning -- that may qualify.) If that's the case, the scorer can award the win to a pitcher who followed that "brief and ineffective" pitcher. Which relief pitcher earns the win specifically is also up to the judgment of the official scorer.

Amazing that baseball fans don't know such basic rules and advertise such on the internet. I will say that I don't know if the college rule is different. It must be

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It appears that there is this wishy washy clause in the college rules:

By prearrangement, if three or more pitchers are to be used, the pitcher of record shall be considered the winning pitcher.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Baseball/baseball easy print stats manual.pdf

I guess that's what happened here unless someone has a better idea. It appears that this "exception" is not present in the MLB rulebook. Furthermore if such "prearrangement" is agreed upon for a given game, IMO it should be announced publicly before the game starts. Don't know if that was done in this game

Amazing that baseball fans don't know such basic rules and advertise such on the internet. I will say that I don't know if the college rule is different. It must be
1942, 43 and 48 Full games with Pitchers going less than 5.
1978, 85, 2001 wins at 4 innings......5 inning games.

1942, 43 and 48 Full games with Pitchers going less than 5.
1978, 85, 2001 wins at 4 innings......5 inning games.

I have no idea what this means. Can we use full sentences and maybe even a verb now and then? Source? Is this MLB or college?

After the game last night…now can the football team back this up this year

View attachment 450286
I love this video but it seems to have caused some consternation among Vol fans who are aghast at the spectacle. Allow me to give my thoughts.

Scenario 1: Vols go to Gainesville and get curbstomped by the gators, losing the series in shameful fashion. Then, this video occurs. Well, that would appear that the Vols know who owns them and are desperate for their own shot to "rep the gator logo."

Yeah, no, lol. Scenario 1 didn't happen.

Scenario 2: well, exactly how it happened. Not only did we sweep them in their own brand new named stadium, we did it in such fashion as to rip out their heart, still beating, and do celebratory dance thereupon. Then we donned the helmet.

I see it as "The Vol Supermen picked up what the Lex Luthor gators thought to be their kryptonite (helmet, football dominance).... licked it and handed it back.

I bet the gridiron Vols understood that all too well. I'll call it now. I wouldn't want to have one of those helmets on and step on the field against the 2022 Vols. It's gonna be ugly.

VN Store

Back