The Official #1 Tennessee @ Florida Weekend Series Thread (Friday 6:30PM EST SEC NET+) (Saturday 6:30PM EST SEC NET+) (Sunday Noon SEC NET+)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
354823_20220120_BB_Photo_Day_AF_445.jpg
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – After two straight home series, No. 1/1 Tennessee hits the road this weekend to take on Florida down in Gainesville. The Vols enter this weekend's series having won three straight games following a series win over Alabama and a midweek victory against Bellarmine.

BROADCAST INFO
This weekend's series will be streamed live digitally on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app. Mick Hubert (PxP) and Nick Belmonte (analyst) will have the call for all three contests. The online broadcasts can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch. Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball John Wilkerson call the games on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990) as well as UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics App.

WEEKEND SCHEDULE/PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
Game 1 – Friday, April 22 (6:30 p.m.)
RHP Chase Burns (6-1, 2.22 ERA) vs. RHP Ryan Slater (2-1, 3.52 ERA)

Game 2 – Saturday, April 23 (6:30 p.m.)
TBD vs. RHP Brandon Sproat (4-3, 4.91 ERA)

Game 3 – Sunday, April 24 (12 p.m.)
RHP Drew Beam (8-0, 1.50 ERA) vs. RHP Brandon Neely (1-0, 4.30 ERA)

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: Florida leads, 154-90
in Knoxville: Florida leads, 67-48
in Gainesville: Florida leads, 83-41
at Neutral Sites: Florida leads, 4-1
Last 10 Meetings: Tennessee leads, 6-4
Last Meeting: W, 4-0 (5/29/21 in Hoover, Ala.)

Tennessee will look to win its third consecutive series against Florida. The Vols and Gators played four times in 2021 with UT coming away victorious three times, including a 4-0 shutout win in the SEC Tournament semifinals. The Big Orange are 6-4 against UF since Tony Vitello took over as head coach in 2018.

NOTABLE
Thriving on the Road
Tennessee was one of the best road teams in the country last season and has been just as dominant away from home so far this year. UT is a perfect 6-0 in true road games this year with series sweeps over then No. 1 Ole Miss (3/25-27) and then No. 3 Vanderbilt (4/1-3). The Vols outscored the Commodores, 16-4, and the Rebels, 26-7.

UT's series win at Vanderbilt was its eighth consecutive SEC road series win and ninth straight road series win overall, dating back to 2019. The Big Orange won all five of their conference series away from home last season after winning its final road series in 2019 at Florida. (No SEC games in 2020 - COVID-19)

Ortega Named SEC Player of the Week
UT second baseman Jorel Ortega was named the Southeastern Conference Player of the Week after ranking among the league leaders in a handful of offensive categories. Ortega led the SEC with a .563 batting average for the week and also tied for the league lead with nine hits, recording at least one base knock in all four games played and three multi-hit performances. He also tied for second in the SEC with six runs scored last week, scoring at least once in every game. His 17 total bases ranked third in the conference, as well.

Ortega is the second Vols to earn SEC Player of the Week honors this season, joining fellow infielder Trey Lipscomb. For more info on Ortega's weekly honor, click HERE.

Vols Continue to Make SEC History
With last Sunday's win over Alabama, the Vols improved to 14-1 in SEC play and won their fifth straight series against conference foes this year. Tennessee joined elite company with its 14-1 SEC start, becoming just the sixth team all time to achieve that feat and the first since Vanderbilt in 2013. UT was actually the first program to reach that mark, doing so in 1951. That squad was the only one ever to start 16-1 in SEC play.

Lipscomb Putting Up Monster Numbers
Senior third baseman Trey Lipscomb has put together a breakout season and ranks among the nation's top hitters this year. After homering twice and driving in five runs in Sunday's win over the Crimson Tide, Lipscomb now ranks third in the nation with 57 RBIs and sixth nationally with 15 long balls. Lipscomb also leads the SEC in total bases (111) and has driven in at least five runs in three different games this season, while no other Vol has done so more than once.

Vols Cleaning Crew
Tennessee recorded its seventh series sweep this season after taking care of business against Missouri two weekends ago. UT's seven series sweeps are tied for the most in a single season in program history (7 in 1994).
Not including tournaments, the Vols have recorded 19 series sweeps since 2018 when Tony Vitello took over as head coach.

Series Sweeps by Year Under Vitello
2022: 7 | 2021: 5 | 2020: 2 | 2019: 3 | 2018: 2

OPPONENT SCOUT
Florida Gators
  • Record: 23-14 (6-9 SEC)
  • 2021 Postseason: NCAA Gainesville Regional
  • 2022 SEC Preseason Poll: 2nd in East
  • Head Coach: Kevin O'Sullivan (15th year)
  • Preseason Conference Honors:
    • OF Jud Fabian (1st Team)
    • SP Hunter Barco (1st Team)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Wyatt Langford (.348)
    • Runs: Jud Fabian (42)
    • Hits: Wyatt Langford (49)
    • Home Runs: Jud Fabian (16)
    • RBI: Wyatt Langford (42)
    • Stolen Bases: Wyatt Langford (5)
    • Wins: Hunter Barco (5)
    • Saves: Blake Purnell (4)
    • ERA (min. 15 IP): Blake Purnell (1.62)
    • WHIP (min. 15 IP): Hunter Barco (0.89)
    • Innings Pitched: Hunter Barco (50.1)
    • Strikeouts: Hunter Barco (69)
ON DECK
The Vols return to Knoxville for a five-game homestand starting with a midweek matchup against Xavier on Tuesday, April 26 at 6:30 p.m.

Only 19 games left is pretty crazy to believe.

It sure is! Only 19 games. That is wild. I have mixed feelings. As much as I'm excited for upcoming postseason opportunities, I also want the season to slow down so we can enjoy this team for as long as we can. Just realized that we are down to two home weekend series after this weekend. 😕 Sigh.

It sure is! Only 19 games. That is wild. I have mixed feelings. As much as I'm excited for upcoming postseason opportunities, I also want the season to slow down so we can enjoy this team for as long as we can. Just realized that we are down to two home weekend series after this weekend. 😕 Sigh.
Yeah, 2 home series and 4 midweek games left at home.

Florida is throwing a redshirt freshman, with limited experience, on Friday night. They used 7 pitchers in their midweek battle with Stetson, so the key is belting this kid early and getting to the gator bullpen, which has struggled this year.
If we can work their pen, we have a really good shot at taking the series.
I expect this one to be an offensive explosion from both teams.
GBO!!

I’m most intrigued to see how Burns pitches. He’s had two bad outings in a row after being dominant all year. If he has a 3rd, I’ll be worried. Either he’s been scouted and needs to adjust or maybe he’s hitting a freshman wall. I hope he comes out and dominates so we can just write off his last 2 as aberrations.

Florida has an excellent lineup, so this is a good test.

I’m most intrigued to see how Burns pitches. He’s had two bad outings in a row after being dominant all year. If he has a 3rd, I’ll be worried. Either he’s been scouted and needs to adjust or maybe he’s hitting a freshman wall. I hope he comes out and dominates so we can just write off his last 2 as aberrations.

I would settle for ho-hum where the offense gets him a win. Dominant would exceed my expectations.

Florida is throwing a redshirt freshman, with limited experience, on Friday night. They used 7 pitchers in their midweek battle with Stetson, so the key is belting this kid early and getting to the gator bullpen, which has struggled this year.
GBO!!
We started the year throwing two true freshmen and a transfer sophomore. Sully may be taking TV notes. What could go wrong? 😉

But later we will host the regionals and super regionals.

His 'bad' outings weren't that bad. We won the first one and we had a great chance to win the second one but not for a 2 run ss error. So he gave us a chance to win both games. And his era is still less than 2.5. It's just that he wasn't the dominant guy we've been spoiled to watch this year. I'm guessing he's the victim of adjustments on the part of opponents (this is the SEC) and maybe tipping pitches unintentionally through bad habits, or something akin to that. I doubt it's fatigue. He's young and strong and only pitching every 7 days. Could be mental fatigue. I think Frank and he will figure it all out and he'll keep giving us a chance to win almost every game he pitches. That's all I ever ask for with a starter.

His 'bad' outings weren't that bad. We won the first one and we had a great chance to win the second one but not for a 2 run ss error. So he gave us a chance to win both games. And his era is still less than 2.5. It's just that he wasn't the dominant guy we've been spoiled to watch this year. I'm guessing he's the victim of adjustments on the part of opponents (this is the SEC) and maybe tipping pitches unintentionally through bad habits, or something akin to that. I doubt it's fatigue. He's young and strong and only pitching every 7 days. Could be mental fatigue. I think Frank and he will figure it all out and he'll keep giving us a chance to win almost every game he pitches. That's all I ever ask for with a starter.
and gump coaches tipping the batters on CB's pitches.

GBO!!
But you're forgetting the main thing. Pitch counts don't matter. GBO!

VN Store

Back