The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I KNOW I’m in the minority here… but I’ve also said I don’t want Santi back and I stand by it. He has zero clutch gene and has obvious deficiencies on offense bc of his lack of an ability to create for himself. I just want a clean break from this group and let’s see what the next guys can do. All we can do is hope they’re better.

I won't go so far to say I don't want him back....but...it's annoying watching him basically be able to do hardly anything if he isn't set and at least semi-wide open. I've lost count how many times he's driven in and sometimes actually made a good move to the basket only to throw up a horrible layup attempt. Tonight he had one that was like Michael Scott bad after getting a decent look.

Man there’s a decent amount of legitimate material to bash Barnes on. Yet all the Bruce Pearl nut hangers always choose the most mendacious, ridiculous narratives to base their criticism on. It’s bizarre. If you hate the guy, hit him where it hurts! Point out his real flaws!

Mendacious. Learn’t me a new word just now. Apropos that it was in the same sentence as “Bruce Pearl”.

Reactions: Vol49er
One of the announcers said it best last night, Paraphrasing because I dont remember the whole quote, but "Teams like TN and VA can win a lot of games playing defense, but what do you do when you run into someone that is hot?"

I used to bemoan the NBA left and right because it looks like they never play D, well I always always told it doesnt matter theyre just that good at making shots. Well thats getting proven in the college game as well.

10/10 times if someone ever asks give me a top 10 offense and a top 50 defense.

Ive seen the rumors that Clark is in the running for some HC jobs, well if he leaves I want Barnes to go out and get the best offensive coach he can find

What kind of sucks, and of course hindsight is 20/20 is we honestly would have likely had a better shot at winning last night against Purdue or Memphis.

I feel like for some damn reason this team (specifically this year) just seemed disinterested in showing up for games against opponents they didn't really felt were marquee names.

Last year I think Kennedy Chandler helped keep them from getting complacent. Some of his better games were against lesser opponents, because he would just take over knowing he was playing an inferior defender.

20 against UT-Martin, 16 against ETSU, 15 against Presbyterian & USC Upstate (with 10 assists). And he really turned it on in that Kentucky game in February and just went on a tear to finish the season. That run to win the SECT was really about him and his drive to win. Didn't have a guy that could do that for us this season and as much as we all love ZZ he's not really at that level (yet).

This Sweet 16 exit isn't as disappointing as the 2018-19 one though, I'll still never understand how Bone, Admiral, Grant, Kyle, and Turner in what ended up being their last tournament just seemed to expect success. Against Colgate and Iowa they just seemed to quit in the 2nd half because they had built a lead and it nearly cost them in both games, then against Purdue they got destroyed in the first half and were honestly lucky to even get to OT.

Strangely the Purdue game we also got out rebounded and shot horribly from the free throw line.

It's not as disappointing at 2019, but at the same time it kind of is; because it seems like no matter the situation we can't seem to show up in the S16.

Have a great team and just run up against another great team/bad matchup (2008, 2019)? Loss.
Have a good but flawed team and get a favorable draw thanks to upsets/matchups (2000, 2018, 2023)? Loss.

Man there’s a decent amount of legitimate material to bash Barnes on. Yet all the Bruce Pearl nut hangers always choose the most mendacious, ridiculous narratives to base their criticism on. It’s bizarre. If you hate the guy, hit him where it hurts! Point out his real flaws!
I've said the same thing a half dozen times. It falls on deaf ears. He has flaws. Criticize those. Don't just fabricate stuff to pile on. He sucked last night. Like you said, flaws exist...focus on thise if you just have to revel in the negative.

It's not as disappointing at 2019, but at the same time it kind of is; because it seems like no matter the situation we can't seem to show up in the S16.

Have a great team and just run up against another great team/bad matchup (2008, 2019)? Loss.
Have a good but flawed team and get a favorable draw thanks to upsets/matchups (2000, 2018, 2023)? Loss.

I don't think FAU was a favorable draw at all. As it's been said over and over the tournament is about matchups. To get stuck facing the only Sweet Sixteen team that's top 50 in offense AND defense and has that many quick guards who can shoot even with ZZ I would have said that's going to be a tough matchup.

I've said the same thing a half dozen times. It falls on deaf ears. He has flaws. Criticize those. Don't just fabricate stuff to pile on. He sucked last night. Like you said, flaws exist...focus on thise if you just have to revel in the negative.

Honestly I'm at the point that it's pointless to actually talk with anyone on either side of the Barnes spectrum. The "Fahr Barnes" ones just scream he sucks and pump up either some fictional version of Pearl that has never existed or some mythical coach out there that can just swoop in and automatically lead this program to Final Fours immediately. Then on the other side there's a segment that seems unable to even fathom that just maybe he deserves some actual criticism and that it's ok to say he did a poor job at times. Anytime there's actual legit criticism then we're told for the 7000th time how UT basketball has sucked forever and how we never used to make the NCAAT and blah blah blah ok thanks grandpa.

I know the 2 sides feed off each other but I think most of us rational fans are in the middle. We don't want Barnes fired by any stretch of the imagination, but we're also fine with saying Barnes has some clear flaws and last night he did a very poor job.

I don't think FAU was a favorable draw at all. As it's been said over and over the tournament is about matchups. To get stuck facing the only Sweet Sixteen team that's top 50 in offense AND defense and has that many quick guards who can shoot even with ZZ I would have said that's going to be a tough matchup.

We still should have won. Whether it was a bad matchup or not, we had them on the ropes in the first half and whiffed.

This is what I'm talking about, it's always SOMETHING with UT and the NCAAT. Even when we're a much higher seed, then it's a matchup problem. Or it's the hot Cinderella team. At some point you have to overcome that becuase if it's always going to be something then we might as well just start saying a S16 is the ceiling and tune out after that.

Honestly I'm at the point that it's pointless to actually talk with anyone on either side of the Barnes spectrum. The "Fahr Barnes" ones just scream he sucks and pump up either some fictional version of Pearl that has never existed or some mythical coach out there that can just swoop in and automatically lead this program to Final Fours immediately. Then on the other side there's a segment that seems unable to even fathom that just maybe he deserves some actual criticism and that it's ok to say he did a poor job at times. Anytime there's actual legit criticism then we're told for the 7000th time how UT basketball has sucked forever and how we never used to make the NCAAT and blah blah blah ok thanks grandpa.

I know the 2 sides feed off each other but I think most of us rational fans are in the middle. We don't want Barnes fired by any stretch of the imagination, but we're also fine with saying Barnes has some clear flaws and last night he did a very poor job.

FAU scored 62pts. Our offense has sucked all of February and March. What could have Barnes done differently last night? Hold FAU to 50pts? We all knew our offense would be the reason we would lose. Last nights showing was not surprising at all. And if Vescovi made that late 3 that lead to the runout layup who knows how the games ends. Barnes coached how he has all season when we beat really good teams. ON,JJJ, and Vescovi being awful last night is what got us beat. No seniors stepped up when needed.

We still should have won. Whether it was a bad matchup or not, we had them on the ropes in the first half and whiffed.

This is what I'm talking about, it's always SOMETHING with UT and the NCAAT. Even when we're a much higher seed, then it's a matchup problem. Or it's the hot Cinderella team. At some point you have to overcome that becuase if it's always going to be something then we might as well just start saying a S16 is the ceiling and tune out after that.

It's because this team lacked a killer instinct. I'm ecstatic about the Duke win, and people will use that as a counter-example, but for the majority of this season this senior-laden team did not have the ice water in their veins you need to be a great basketball team. We discussed this ad nauseam, but in the final 5 minutes of games this year, this team disappeared. They quite simply could not hit baskets in crunch time. If this team did not have an 8-10 point lead at the under 4:00 timeout in the 2nd half, you knew this team was most likely going to lose.

FAU scored 62pts. Our offense has sucked all of February and March. What could have Barnes done differently last night? Hold FAU to 50pts? We all knew our offense would be the reason we would lose. Last nights showing was not surprising at all. And if Vescovi made that late 3 that lead to the runout layup who knows how the games ends. Barnes coached how he has all season when we beat really good teams. ON,JJJ, and Vescovi being awful last night is what got us beat. No seniors stepped up when needed.

He could've used a timeout before FAU went on a 15-2 run. He had some horrible lineups out there at times as well

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
He could've used a timeout before FAU went on a 15-2 run. He had some horrible lineups out there at times as well

People obsessed with timeout usage is always funny. Horrible lineups because nobody was scoring so of course it looked awful. How many point blank shots did we miss? Barnes needs to run better plays to get the players closer to the basket I guess. Our offense sucked and has sucked for the past month. We didn’t make shots.

Reactions: Lankykong
People obsessed with timeout usage is always funny. Horrible lineups because nobody was scoring so of course it looked awful. How many point blank shots did we miss? Barnes needs to run better plays to get the players closer to the basket I guess. Our offense sucked and has sucked for the past month. We didn’t make shots.

Yeah it was sure funny watching that lead evaporate and the crowd get into when FAU took the lead. It was hilariously funny.

The team sucked last night and couldn't make shots or rebound. But Barnes also sucked last night. Both can be true

Yeah it was sure funny watching that lead evaporate and the crowd get into when FAU took the lead. It was hilariously funny.

The team sucked last night and couldn't make shots or rebound. But Barnes also sucked last night. Both can be true

So outside of using timeouts what should have he done differently that could have helped us win? Defense did their job so what should have Barnes done on offense?

It's because this team lacked a killer instinct. I'm ecstatic about the Duke win, and people will use that as a counter-example, but for the majority of this season this senior-laden team did not have the ice water in their veins you need to be a great basketball team. We discussed this ad nauseam, but in the final 5 minutes of games this year, this team disappeared. They quite simply could not hit baskets in crunch time. If this team did not have an 8-10 point lead at the under 4:00 timeout in the 2nd half, you knew this team was most likely going to lose.
Being down by 10 points feels like 40 with this team. Give me a good offensive team every time over a good defensive team

So outside of using timeouts what should have he done differently that could have helped us win? Defense did their job so what should have Barnes done on offense?
No doubt that the players share in the blame, but absolving Barnes of any responsibility is silliness

Allowing that run without attempting to stop the momentum from FAU or the crowd behind them was reckless.

Some of the lineups he used that put zero offense on the floor when we could have extended our 8 point lead in the first half were foolish.

Not making any adjustment to limit the number of wide-open looks FAU was getting was foolish. They took 27 3s and I bet 4 of then were contested.

Meanwhile, we were fighting for every open look we could find. You have to scheme up open shots. Dusty May did all night long by having his guys drive the ball in the paint and kicking it out and reversing the ball with intent. We just casually passed it around the perimeter and waited until the shot clock hit 10 seconds to try and generate an open look that we couldn't find. Outside of Uros in the opening minutes bullying his way to the rim, we consistently settle for turnarounds, fadeaways, and deep 2s/3s late in the clock.

Having your best rebounder on the bench all night while ON and Plav combined for 6 boards in 43 minutes sure doesn't look smart in hindsight.

No doubt that the players share in the blame, but absolving Barnes of any responsibility is silliness

Allowing that run without attempting to stop the momentum from FAU or the crowd behind them was reckless.

Some of the lineups he used that put zero offense on the floor when we could have extended our 8 point lead in the first half were foolish.

Not making any adjustment to limit the number of wide-open looks FAU was getting was foolish. They took 27 3s and I bet 4 of then were contested.

Meanwhile, we were fighting for every open look we could find. You have to scheme up open shots. Dusty May did all night long by having his guys drive the ball in the paint and kicking it out and reversing the ball with intent. We just casually passed it around the perimeter and waited until the shot clock hit 10 seconds to try and generate an open look that we couldn't find. Outside of Uros in the opening minutes bullying his way to the rim, we consistently settle for turnarounds, fadeaways, and deep 2s/3s late in the clock.

Having your best rebounder on the bench all night while ON and Plav combined for 6 boards in 43 minutes sure doesn't look smart in hindsight.

Who is being silly now? Only 4 of the 3s were contested shots?

Ok so you wanted to totally change our offense on the fly. I guess that could work. We ran the same offense we have all year that beat good teams. FAU was a bad matchup against a big team like us. ORN and JJJ should have feasted but they did not.

Lol I don't know who is more annoying, the "Fahr Barnes" crowd or the ones that defend Barnes to the death.

JFC.

You have some of the worst takes but keep trying though. I noticed you had no response because you had no answers. Simply blaming the coach is the easy answer.

Who is being silly now? Only 4 of the 3s were contested shots?

Ok so you wanted to totally change our offense on the fly. I guess that could work. We ran the same offense we have all year that beat good teams. FAU was a bad matchup against a big team like us. ORN and JJJ should have feasted but they did not.
To the bolded, I'm obviously being a little facetious, there, but I'd bet a third, or less were contested enough to affect the shot. Go back and watch and count them. FAU was wide-open all night long.

And yeah, I'm not suggesting we completely change the offense mid-game, but we had such a size advantage, and in the second half, we seemed to totally shy away from going to the paint. And our bigs settled for jumpers and turnarounds. Nkamhoua took 1 shot inside 2 feet out of 9 attempts. 6-9, 240 lbs and simply won't go to the hole. I just don't get it.

And like I said, players are to blame, too. We didn't play like we wanted it. We didn't hustle like it was potentially our last game. We didn't make shots.

Lol I don't know who is more annoying, the "Fahr Barnes" crowd or the ones that defend Barnes to the death.

Both. Maybe the defenders are a little more for responding and starting a multiple page cry fest .

My take - Glad RB is here but he deserves some criticism.

To the bolded, I'm obviously being a little facetious, there, but I'd bet a third, or less were contested enough to affect the shot. Go back and watch and count them. FAU was wide-open all night long.

And yeah, I'm not suggesting we completely change the offense mid-game, but we had such a size advantage, and in the second half, we seemed to totally shy away from going to the paint. And our bigs settled for jumpers and turnarounds. Nkamhoua took 1 shot inside 2 feet out of 9 attempts. 6-9, 240 lbs and simply won't go to the hole. I just don't get it.

And like I said, players are to blame, too. We didn't play like we wanted it. We didn't hustle like it was potentially our last game. We didn't make shots.

This. Not saying we didn't play good defense but they just straight up missed a ton of wide open 3s in the first half.

Reactions: cncchris33

Not to mention, instead of calling a timeout, we went to a 2-3 zone(!!!!) in the middle of that run for a possession and gave up a wide open three. That’s one of the dumber things I’ve ever seen a coach do in all my years. It’s unfathomable.

Not to mention, instead of calling a timeout, we went to a 2-3 zone(!!!!) in the middle of that run for a possession and gave up a wide open three. That’s one of the dumber things I’ve ever seen a coach do in all my years. It’s unfathomable.
Oh yeah...can't believe I forgot to mention that one. 😖

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back