The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I may be in the minority here and don’t want to be too harsh but… I hope we never see JJJ in orange again either. Posted this in the game thread, but he had a wide open 3 to cut it to 2 with 2 mins left. He airballed. That just really sums up his time here. It’s time to move on, hopefully to much greener pastures.

And on that same possession we got a rebound and kicked it out to Santi for a somewhat clean look from 3 to cut it to 2 and he also missed. This team (outside of the Duke game) has basically been as anti-clutch as any Tennessee team in recent memory. Zero consistent shot making ability by anyone on this roster. Doesn’t exactly bode well for next year either.

Yeup, thought substitutions were terrible. Really would’ve liked to see a small lineup more today. Phillips is one of our best defenders and barely played
And a great rebounder for a wing! He missed some threes but that’s not his game rn, he shouldn’t have had to carry that burden. I really wish we’d work to get him re-established in the offense in the second half of the season, especially after Z went out. I really hope he stays and learns (and is coached) to really assert himself and get to the basket. Plus he’s a great free throw shooter so he shouldn’t fear being fouled

Yeah it sucks for that but mostly, to me, it’s the fact that another SEC program is passing us by and reaching a F4. I’m 27 and could live to be 100 and that monkey will probably never get off our backs.
If you’re like me you’ve got no memory of the football team winning a the national championship (or SEC championship for that matter) either, so it stings double

Reactions: berryvol
And on that same possession we got a rebound and kicked it out to Santi for a somewhat clean look from 3 to cut it to 2 and he also missed. This team (outside of the Duke game) has basically been as anti-clutch as any Tennessee team in recent memory. Zero consistent shot making ability by anyone on this roster. Doesn’t exactly bode well for next year either.
I KNOW I’m in the minority here… but I’ve also said I don’t want Santi back and I stand by it. He has zero clutch gene and has obvious deficiencies on offense bc of his lack of an ability to create for himself. I just want a clean break from this group and let’s see what the next guys can do. All we can do is hope they’re better.

I love Barnes. Defend him nonstop on here. He should get tons of credit for even getting this group to the S16 without ZZ.

Barnes was ass juice tonight and might have cost his team the game. Absolutely awful sub pattern, put in our worst offensive lineup in the 1h when we had a chance to bury them and were up 8, refused to call a timeout during their big run, I can go on. Just a terrible night for him.

I'm not trying to pile on Barnes but....that game is a big reason he gets the rep he does. I love him but he sucked balls tonight.

Nico has added almost 15 pounds already, Phillips needs to follow suit, get him to 220-230 and stronger and he could be a big time player next season for us.

If you’re like me you’ve got no memory of the football team winning a the national championship (or SEC championship for that matter) either, so it stings double
Yup. I love football but i’d take a hoops Natty over football 8 days a week. Feels like we will never get there unfortunately. Maybe next year.

Reactions: Willy14
I really expected to see this lineup, and we never did.

Mashack
Santi
JJJ
Phillips
Awaka

For how great Barnes was against Duke, he was equally as BAD tonight against FAU. Bad rotations and poor adjustments. And letting FAU go on that massive run from down 4 to up 7 and letting Garden erupt was frustrating. Major turning point in the game. FAU never looked back after that.

Santi is the only senior I’d take for another season. JJJ is a great dude, but he’s underachieved with his size and HS ranking…to leave as a career 9.0 ppg guy is just disappointing.

Tobias Harris is the only 5 star we’ve had beside KC that’s really lived up the hype.

I really expected to see this lineup, and we never did.

Mashack
Santi
JJJ
Phillips
Awaka
Why in the HELL did we go to this lineup while up 8 and with all the momentum in the 1h
JJJ
Key
JP
Awaka
Aidoo

Edit: could be misremembering and it was ORN instead of Aidoo, but that honestly changes nothing.

Santi is the only senior I’d take for another season. JJJ is a great dude, but he’s underachieved with his size and HS ranking…to leave as a career 9.0 ppg guy is just disappointing.

Tobias Harris is the only 5 star we’ve had beside KC that’s really lived up the hype.
I thought Keon and Springer were good for low end 5 stars

For how great Barnes was against Duke, he was equally as BAD tonight against FAU. Bad rotations and poor adjustments. And letting FAU go on that massive run from down 4 to up 7 and letting Garden erupt was frustrating. Major turning point in the game. FAU never looked back after that.

Was weird, getting worked on rebounds and ON & Phillips are doing nothing. Awaka only gets a minute? Strange…especially with him being a NYC kid too.

I thought Keon and Springer were good for low end 5 stars

Low end 5 stars? Both were ranked higher than JJJ. They were disappointing because COVID & injuries, wish we had both with a full offseason, they would have been great together.

Honestly, it might be sour grapes from me after a tough loss, but it is getting really old hearing JJJ talk about how “no one believes in us” after every game, particularly one where you just showed people why they didn’t believe in you. JJJ did nothing tonight, just like against Duke.

I had the same reaction. Like....you dont' go to the "no one believes in us" after you drop that turd. It worked after Duke, but not tonight.

Reactions: berryvol
Low end 5 stars? Both were ranked higher than JJJ. They were disappointing because COVID & injuries, wish we had both with a full offseason, they would have been great together.
Well sure. JJJ was a low end 5 star too. That’s why his freshman season was not a disaster even though he certainly wasn’t a star. But he did not progress nearly enough in four years, injuries or not

Julian Strawther just made basically a half court shot to take the lead for Gonzaga. He pulled up with confidence and drilled it. Something you never see from our team. Ugh.

Julian Strawther just made basically a half court shot to take the lead for Gonzaga. He pulled up with confidence and drilled it. Something you never see from our team. Ugh.
That was incredible. Santi would’ve pumpfaked, turned his back to the defender, hoisted up a three that gets blocked as time expires.

So many things that frustrates me about that game, I don’t even know how to process it all.

I also can’t believe we let Key shoot as much as we did. He took some truly awful shots and kept shooting.

VN Store

Back