The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

It wasn't COVID. Evan's dad has come out and said Evan was dealing with severe anxiety, which just makes the idiots at ESPN accusing him of PEDs look even worse. But, this morning will be all about Jordan Beck flipping the bird and people will quickly forget the worldwide leader in sports defamed one of our players and swept it under the rug 5 seconds later with a half-assed apology.

Hadn't seen the update. And you're right oh well. Glad Evan got past it, hopefully he can manage it moving forward. Anxiety is no joke.

I couldn't imagine this place if Tennessee got the #1 overall seed and lost in the Sweet 16 game. Freak would have to shut the basketball forum down.
Yeah, it's an interesting paradox. Lots of love and understanding in the baseball forum, right now. And I'm not placing blame anywhere, but the baseball team even got the advantage of playing every postseason game at home. Give Barnes and his program that advantage and lose in the S16, man, it would get ugly.

Yeah, it's an interesting paradox. Lots of love and understanding in the baseball forum, right now. And I'm not placing blame anywhere, but the baseball team even got the advantage of playing every postseason game at home. Give Barnes and his program that advantage and lose in the S16, man, it would get ugly.

Probably due to age (TV being pretty young), baseball being a doormat since Delmonico left, and the fact that TV did get them to the CWS last year. Plus he's not really trying to live up to a past Bruce Pearl type in baseball, and I'd say Delmonico is more like the baseball Fulmer. I think TV pretty much IS the baseball Pearl for us. Also for baseball, the overall #1 seed hasn't won it all in 22 years so there is a bit of a stigma with it.

But I won't lie, it really sucks being the best team all season and then not even making Omaha. I get all the factors of seeding and timing and luck, but it really sucks seeing Ole Miss be far worse than us all season and even at one point being in danger of not making Hoover and now they are in Omaha and we're not. Makes me feel like the 2019 Vols that dominated most of the regular season then watching Auburn make the Final Four; though I guess at least this Vols baseball team won the SEC and SECT.

There is just so much variance to account for in baseball. I truly think it’s the toughest trophy to win. Basketball is pretty rough to with the one-and-done model in the post-season, but it’s much more common for the “best” teams to survive and advance.

Football….well….that is a sport that is probably the “easiest” to win, which has only been backed up by the dominance of teams like Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia the last 5-10 years. Talent is an actual separator. Teams with the most talent just win in football. It’s pretty much unheard of to see a Cinderella team.

Reactions: GenRRN and JCP201
There is just so much variance to account for in baseball. I truly think it’s the toughest trophy to win. Basketball is pretty rough to with the one-and-done model in the post-season, but it’s much more common for the “best” teams to survive and advance.

Football….well….that is a sport that is probably the “easiest” to win, which has only been backed up by the dominance of teams like Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia the last 5-10 years. Talent is an actual separator. Teams with the most talent just win in football. It’s pretty much unheard of to see a Cinderella team.
I disagree with the idea of baseball being tougher to win than basketball, but only because if the single-elimination format. Both are tough, though, because the winning team has to sustain the precise blend of talent, luck, and execution for so long. I agree that football is by far the easiest.

I disagree with the idea of baseball being tougher to win than basketball, but only because if the single-elimination format. Both are tough, though, because the winning team has to sustain the precise blend of talent, luck, and execution for so long. I agree that football is by far the easiest.

Baseball is 60% luck. Basketball like 30%. Did you hit your threes or not? Did the other team hit their threes or not? That’s really about it. Baseball is so much worse. Sure basketball is single elimination but deciding baseball best of 3 is just absolutely brutal.

Baseball is 60% luck. Basketball like 30%. Did you hit your threes or not? Did the other team hit their threes or not? That’s really about it. Baseball is so much worse. Sure basketball is single elimination but deciding baseball best of 3 is just absolutely brutal.

There is a reason the MLB is best of 7, and even then there is a lot of luck involved. I’m not saying basketball is easy, not at all. It’s so damn tough. But, I think a majority of the time the better team wins. Or, at least, the majority of the time the Final Four is mostly 1 or 2 seeds (the cream of the crop). How many national seeds have punched their ticket to Omaha so far? One. And it’s looking like we might only have 2 of the 8 teams in Omaha be national seeds.

Reactions: GenRRN and JCP201

Braves came out of nowhere last year and won it all. OTOH, I've rooted for Braves teams that had arguably the best pitchers EVER (Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz) and only won one World series-- even with the best of seven.

I know that VOLS are better than most of those teams there- We beat OLE MISS by several touchdowns. That said, it was a great season, and we won the SEC (both)...

There is a reason the MLB is best of 7, and even then there is a lot of luck involved. I’m not saying basketball is easy, not at all. It’s so damn tough. But, I think a majority of the time the better team wins. Or, at least, the majority of the time the Final Four is mostly 1 or 2 seeds (the cream of the crop). How many national seeds have punched their ticket to Omaha so far? One. And it’s looking like we might only have 2 of the 8 teams in Omaha be national seeds.

That's one of the reasons I always hated the one game WC in MLB, because I didn't think it fairly determined the better team.

Reactions: The Dog
That's one of the reasons I always hated the one game WC in MLB, because I didn't think it fairly determined the better team.

That’s fair. But, I love the model. If you didn’t win your division, it’s the punishment. You make the post season, but you have little margin for error. The expanded post-season this year and moving forward will correct for that though. No more one game wild card.

Doesn't the NBA being best of 7 defeat that argument, though?

Agree to disagree. I'll not be convinced that any format that allows you to advance following a loss (up to 4 times in a single postseason, no less) is tougher than a 6-game tournament that requires perfection.

Originally I thought this too...but then I sat on it a bit longer. The grind of baseball I think just adds a different element. Basketball if you run the table in conference tournament and the big dance you're still playing high 30s for games. The upsets are so much easier to pull off in single elimination format too.

Personally I think Football is harder than either, because despite their being fewer games and only one game a week the amount of politicking to even make the playoffs is astounding. Can you name any other sport where a team has finished undefeated but didn't even make the playoffs?

Baseball is the one sport where even the worst teams win. I mean we lost 2 of 3 to a terrible Kentucky team. Even the bottom MLB teams can beat the best MLB teams and it's going to happen much more frequently in baseball than it would in football/basketball.

Reactions: AngryButchJones

VN Store

Back