The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

sources that will continue to remain anonymous but "someone with close connections to the team and CRB"

Actually my friend who knows things (suuuuuper close to the day to day ongoings of the team) just said that they "likely" do. They will also remain anonymous haha

Makes me think they'll be retested before the game

I mean, other teams in both football and basketball have fudged the numbers to get games postponed, so if we’re going to miss our best two players, considering the new CDC guidelines are only 5 day isolations, I say we just try and get the game against Alabama postponed. We have no shot if we’re down Fulk and JJJ and on the road.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I mean, other teams in both football and basketball have fudged the numbers to get games postponed, so if we’re going to miss our best two players, considering the new CDC guidelines are only 5 day isolations, I say we just try and get the game against Alabama postponed. We have no shot if we’re down Fulk and JJJ and on the road.
Especially if the new policy prioritizes rescheduling games instead of cancelling them

Especially if the new policy prioritizes rescheduling games instead of cancelling them

Exactly. If there isn’t a forfeiting policy, and the league is prioritizing rescheduling, it does us NO favors to play this game. Our entire team (essentially) is vaccinated, so we’ve done our part. Not fair for us to be punished and play down. I say do what most other teams have done and try and get it postponed.

That’d be a weak move IMO. If we have enough players let’s play the game.

Plenty of teams are doing exactly what I suggested. Look at Hawaii’s football team. They literally used COVID as an excuse to not play the game because they also had a ton of opt-outs and transfers lol. And that’s for a meaningless game! This is an SEC game against a team we will not play again, and could theoretically be a tie breaker in league play for a top-seed.

Doesn’t seem smart to handicap yourself when the league is very likely willing to reschedule games now.

Barnes won’t do that. He may lose, but he’s not scared to lose and shy away from it.

Barnes won’t do that. He may lose, but he’s not scared to lose and shy away from it.

I know he isn't scared. He's going to play the game unless a bunch more of our players test positive, but it's a severe disadvantage and it will probably come back to bite us. I just know we'll play this game short-handed, lose, and then later in the season another team is going to be facing us short-handed, and they'll probably push to get it re-scheduled instead. I just don't like the competitive handicap.

Could Barnes be eating crow over his comments last week about Memphis? After reading these it was clear that he had missed the memo on break through infections. Now he has backed himself in the corner and will be playing with walk ons if it comes down to it.

Could Barnes be eating crow over his comments last week about Memphis? After reading these it was clear that he had missed the memo on break through infections. Now he has backed himself in the corner and will be playing with walk ons if it comes down to it.
If he feels the need, he’s got an AD that can take the heat.

Memphis had 2 positive tests, but because of other injuries and other players unvaccinated they were going to be missing 7-8 scholarship guys it sounded like. If Tennessee has 2 players that tested positive then they’ll only be without 2 players, not pulling walk-ons from the end of the bench, I think that’s why Barnes made those comments.

Memphis had 2 positive tests, but because of other injuries and other players unvaccinated they were going to be missing 7-8 scholarship guys it sounded like. If Tennessee has 2 players that tested positive then they’ll only be without 2 players, not pulling walk-ons from the end of the bench, I think that’s why Barnes made those comments.
Yeah, no crow to be eaten here. Barnes didn’t lie about the vaccination rate causing a game to be canceled.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

Not sure what he said that he would eat crow about. Being vaccinated is better than not being vaccinated. He also said he would pull people out of the student body to play, and it appears we will be short handed. I see nothing that has changed.

I actually didn't disagree with most of what he said especially his comments about Memphis but his comments about vaccines seemed to completely dismiss the fact that vaccinated players could get sick.

VN Store

Back