The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

The team is still trying to mesh together. Having players join / leave the team mid-season tends to shake things up a bit. In the past 7 games the team has lost Lamonte, added Santiago, and now Uros is playing.

I think you may see individual player's progressions once they begin to mesh more as a unit (and develop on-court chemistry).

Josiah has definitely progressed though.
The chemistry problem is much greater than the talent or development problem on this team. Having to virtually start over mid season and no leader types it's very unlikely they will gel in time enough to make the tournament. They are still 2 wins ahead of our 15 and 16 win seasons, but time is running out.

I just don't understand the expectations for him to be someone like Anthony Edwards, he was a borderline 5 star and it seemed pretty well known that he wasn't a scorer.

He is out-performing (statistically) many guards who are ranked above him (even those averaging the same minutes per game).

I genuinely don't know what your expectations were.

Is it just that he doesn't pass your "eye test"?

No but I don’t think asking a top 25 recruit to come in and get double digit points is too much to ask. He’s averages 8.3 PPG and is inefficient too. Like I was thinking 12/5/4 and I don’t think that isn’t too much to ask of a guy.

I also will get hated for this, but I think he was overrated as a 5* star. I don’t see the athleticism/skills that you normally see from a 5*. He can still be a really good player, and maybe he improves over the next year and two becomes big time, but I’m not sure you’re ever going to see first round draft pick that many thought we were getting. He can still be a valuable player here! Before everyone goes freaking crazy. Just think his ranking was a little too high.

No but I don’t think asking a top 25 recruit to come in and get double digit points is too much to ask. He’s averages 8.3 PPG and is inefficient too. Like I was thinking 12/5/4 and I don’t think that isn’t too much to ask of a guy.

I also will get hated for this, but I think he was overrated as a 5* star. I don’t see the athleticism/skills that you normally see from a 5*. He can still be a really good player, and maybe he improves over the next year and two becomes big time, but I’m not sure you’re ever going to see first round draft pick that many thought we were getting. He can still be a valuable player here! Before everyone goes freaking crazy. Just think his ranking was a little too high.

He's pretty close to that 12/5/4 number in conference play. He was a fringe 5* to begin with, and he is playing like one statistically is all I was saying.

I guess I think people had their expectations set too high. As I said before, it was pretty well known that he wasn't going to be a scorer, and is unselfish to a fault.

Reactions: walkenvol
He's pretty close to that 12/5/4 number in conference play. He was a fringe 5* to begin with, and he is playing like one statistically is all I was saying.

I guess I think people had their expectations set too high. As I said before, it was pretty well known that he wasn't going to be a scorer, and is unselfish to a fault.

he’s been way better as shooter, rebounder and defender than I expected.
he’s been less effective as a slasher than I was expecting. Part of the lack of slashing is the system Barnes runs.
He’s never allowed guys much freedom to drive the ball since coming to Tennessee.

he’s been less effective as a slasher than I was expecting. Part of the lack of slashing is the system Barnes runs.
He’s never allowed guys much freedom to drive the ball since coming to Tennessee.

So you expected very little from him then.

Never heard him say anything against driving the ball to the rim. where's at cum frum? i think he'd be tickled pink. Lets Pember try it about ever game. He just cant get there without losin his lunch.

Is the sky falling? No. We got the three kids signed, we got some young players who should develop. It is disheartening though that A) we won’t make the tourney after two good seasons and B) they aren’t getting better. I think B is more worrisome. I figured with a tough OOC they would struggle and then pick it up by SEC play but it’s been the opposite, even with Turner’s injury. That is what worries me. Multiple players and their development have been stagnant.
It’s too early to say that we aren’t going to make the tournament. If you include Lamonte being out for the season we’ve lost 5 of our 6 biggest contributors from last season. Not too late to catch fire.

But you just said you thought he was overrated out of high school, so why did you expect so much more? Not being snarky it just doesn’t make sense to me

Well based off what I saw and his ranking and what Barnes had said about him before playing in college I expected more.

Now with hindsight obviously, based on watching him play 16 games of college ball, I would say he was a little overrated rankings wise.

Well based off what I saw and his ranking and what Barnes had said about him before playing in college I expected more.

Now with hindsight obviously, based on watching him play 16 games of college ball, I would say he was a little overrated rankings wise.
Ok I thought you meant you believed he was overrated when he signed, but I understand you’re saying you think he was overrated now that you’ve seen him play college ball. My fault

Reactions: zjcvols
So you expected very little from him then.

I expected about 10 a game with most of pts coming from drives and free throws. Instead he’s getting most of his pts from the 3 or lines I didn’t expect him to be a damn good rebounder and defender

So if that wasnt expecting much then so be it

Never heard him say anything against driving the ball to the rim. where's at cum frum? i think he'd be tickled pink. Lets Pember try it about ever game. He just cant get there without losin his lunch.

He’s just never been a spread the floor dribble drive system coach. Bone couldn’t be stopped but didn’t drive that often to the hole

He’s just never been a spread the floor dribble drive system coach. Bone couldn’t be stopped but didn’t drive that often to the hole

Part of the reason Bone probably left.

Really hard to showcase your elite driving ability when your coach doesn’t run pick and roll much

Go to 1:20 of this video. We see this play happen atleast twice every game where the offensive player goes through fulky like it’s nothing.

And he dominated Washington’s bigs. He has good games and bad games/matchups. He’s good against thin and athletic bigs, not as good against bruisers.

VN Store

Back