The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Is the sky falling? No. We got the three kids signed, we got some young players who should develop. It is disheartening though that A) we won’t make the tourney after two good seasons and B) they aren’t getting better. I think B is more worrisome. I figured with a tough OOC they would struggle and then pick it up by SEC play but it’s been the opposite, even with Turner’s injury. That is what worries me. Multiple players and their development have been stagnant.

Not fair to say this team isn’t getting better

James is making big strides same with fulky

Imo the defense has been inconsistent mostly due to the Roster changes made with 3 major changes in one month just as the sec play started. The defense will get better as the year goes on

Oh and its too Early to state this team won’t be in the tourney as a fact

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
Is the sky falling? No. We got the three kids signed, we got some young players who should develop. It is disheartening though that A) we won’t make the tourney after two good seasons and B) they aren’t getting better. I think B is more worrisome. I figured with a tough OOC they would struggle and then pick it up by SEC play but it’s been the opposite, even with Turner’s injury. That is what worries me. Multiple players and their development have been stagnant.

Unfortunately not having Santiago & Plavsic during that OOC has almost "reset" things. I just can't shake the fact Bowden & Jalen aren't playing at a higher level than they are. Pons & Fulkerson kind of are who they are at this point, I think Pons can still grow some in his game just not sure we'll see it come full circle this year.

The team is still trying to mesh together. Having players join / leave the team mid-season tends to shake things up a bit. In the past 7 games the team has lost Lamonte, added Santiago, and now Uros is playing.

I think you may see individual player's progressions once they begin to mesh more as a unit (and develop on-court chemistry).

Josiah has definitely progressed though.

Not fair to say this team isn’t getting better

James is making big strides same with fulky

Imo the defense has been inconsistent mostly due to the Roster changes made with 3 major changes in one month just as the sec play started. The defense will get better as the year goes on

Oh and its too Early to state this team won’t be in the tourney as a fact

Did I say every single player hasn’t developed? No. I said multiple players haven’t developed (Bowden, ON, Jalen, I’d argue Gaines while playing fine is the same player he was at the start).

And we have been adding talent, even with the normal process of chemistry and playing together, they still aren’t playing better. Even beating South Carolina they played bad, USC just played worse.

And if you wanna bet UT makes the tourney, I’d advise that’s a bad bet to make. And you’d probably agree.

The team is still trying to mesh together. Having players join / leave the team mid-season tends to shake things up a bit. In the past 7 games the team has lost Lamonte, added Santiago, and now Uros is playing.

I think you may see individual player's progressions once they begin to mesh more as a unit (and develop on-court chemistry).

Josiah has definitely progressed though.

Im glad Josiah is getting better, because there wasn’t much room to go but up. He’s still been disappointing despite some strides.

Did I say every single player hasn’t developed? No. I said multiple players haven’t developed (Bowden, ON, Jalen, I’d argue Gaines while playing fine is the same player he was at the start).

And we have been adding talent, even with the normal process of chemistry and playing together, they still aren’t playing better. Even beating South Carolina they played bad, USC just played worse.

And if you wanna bet UT makes the tourney, I’d advise that’s a bad bet to make. And you’d probably agree.

Your post didn’t specify other than saying “they aren’t getting better”

and yes I think it’s about a 1/4 shot to make the tourney but one things is certain you can t state “they won’t be making the tourney” when that hasn’t been decided yet

Your post didn’t specify other than saying “they aren’t getting better”

and yes I think it’s about a 1/4 shot to make the tourney but one things is certain you can t state “they won’t be making the tourney” when that hasn’t been decided yet

Yes. The team. As a whole. Isn’t getting better. Maybe a player or two are better but the team itself is playing worse.

And I can state what I can state. I don’t believe this team is going to make the tourney. It’s a message board, opinions can be given.

Im glad Josiah is getting better, because there wasn’t much room to go but up. He’s still been disappointing despite some strides.

Has averaged 11.8 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2 apg, 1.3 spg, & 0.8 bpg his last 4. I guess I didn't expect him to be a big time scorer when he came in. Partly because I figured Bowden/Turner/Pons would dominate the scoring for this team.

Not sure what you're seeing from Gaines, he's played a total of 16 minutes in the last 4 games. Not sure why he had minutes cut...

Has averaged 11.8 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2 apg, 1.3 spg, & 0.8 bpg his last 4. I guess I didn't expect him to be a big time scorer when he came in. Partly because I figured Bowden/Turner/Pons would dominate the scoring for this team.

Not sure what you're seeing from Gaines, he's played a total of 16 minutes in the last 4 games. Not sure why he had minutes cut...

And he’s made 12 of his last 21 3pt attempts

Anyone disappointed by James had expectations that were out of bounds.

Just his overall skill level/lack of athleticism. I knew he wasn’t a big time scorer but I thought he’d be able to get in the lane and create. He doesn’t do that. His dribbling is average at best. His shot is inconsistent. I’m shocked he’s shooting as well as he is. He’s a good defender for a freshman, excellent rebounder, but he’s a bad finisher too. I’m concerned with his offensive upside.

Fortunately there is a lot of bad basketball being played right now so we’re far from out of it yet. Even so, coming into this year I would have been thrilled to make the tournament w all that we lost last year. W this team I’d be content going to the NIT knowing it’s more games. for these new guys to get under their belts. Especially Scovi and Uros.

Just his overall skill level/lack of athleticism. I knew he wasn’t a big time scorer but I thought he’d be able to get in the lane and create. He doesn’t do that. His dribbling is average at best. His shot is inconsistent. I’m shocked he’s shooting as well as he is. He’s a good defender for a freshman, excellent rebounder, but he’s a bad finisher too. I’m concerned with his offensive upside.
Wow the guys is shooting 40% from 3 and you say his shooting is inconsistent

That’s dumb

Yes. The team. As a whole. Isn’t getting better. Maybe a player or two are better but the team itself is playing worse.

And I can state what I can state. I don’t believe this team is going to make the tourney. It’s a message board, opinions can be given.
Yes. And in my. Opinion your opinion is just. Okay. Rather like your . Sentence structure. GO. Vols.

Wow the guys is shooting 40% from 3 and you say his shooting is inconsistent

That’s dumb

His shooting form is inconsistent. He routinely has multiple shots. His legs kick out sometimes, other times they don’t. His release point changes. His release from when he jumps changes. It’s quite impressive he’s shooting that high considering his shot.

Wasn't any room to go but up? That's an overstatement.

Conference Per Game Stats

Tre Mann (#12 overall recruit per 247)

1579209470177.png

Tyrese Maxey (#10 overall per 247)

1579209610247.png

Josiah James (#29 overall per 247)

1579209538261.png

How is he disappointing?

Reactions: Vol49er
James has hit a 3 in 8 straight games, made 3 in 4 of 8 games and the most attempts in any of those games is 6

That’s very consistent

I'd use tentative to describe his dribbling/driving. Not sure he doesn't have the athleticism to do it. He reminds me more of a Josh Richardson, although I think he's a bit more polished than J Rich was as a freshman. He's been shifted about a bit more than you'd like though, but he seems to be finding his groove. I just want him to get a bit more of that killer instinct that Admiral had.

Wasn't any room to go but up? That's an overstatement.

Conference Per Game Stats

Tre Mann (#12 overall recruit per 247)

View attachment 254698

Tyrese Maxey (#10 overall per 247)

View attachment 254701

Josiah James (#29 overall per 247)

View attachment 254700

How is he disappointing?

Well he’s playing better but for a guy getting 30 minutes per game is numbers were not impressive OOC. That’s what I mean by nowhere to go but up especially once Turner was out.

I expected better than 8.3/6/2.5 along with 2.4 turnovers per game and a 48.2% eFG percentage from a five star. Plus his inability to beat people off the dribble concerns me.

People are lowering the bar for him from the beginning of the season.

Attachments

• 1579210028846.png
    1579210028846.png
    13 KB · Views: 2
Well he’s playing better but for a guy getting 30 minutes per game is numbers were not impressive OOC. That’s what I mean by nowhere to go but up especially once Turner was out.

I expected better than 8.3/6/2.5 along with 2.4 turnovers per game and a 48.2% eFG percentage from a five star. Plus his inability to beat people off the dribble concerns me.

People are lowering the bar for him from the beginning of the season.

I just don't understand the expectations for him to be someone like Anthony Edwards, he was a borderline 5 star and it seemed pretty well known that he wasn't a scorer.

He is out-performing (statistically) many guards who are ranked above him (even those averaging the same minutes per game).

I genuinely don't know what your expectations were.

Is it just that he doesn't pass your "eye test"?

VN Store

Back