The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

What do they do when a player isn’t ranked by a certain site? That’s the big question.

Olivier Robinson-Nkamhou is ranked 150 on rivals, 153 by 247, not ranked by ESPN and no Scout rankings anymore...so how is his average/composite 110?
As best I can tell, for football, they make up missing rankings. I haven't looked at the basketball ones through. Does ESPN only rank so many kids? For football, missing rankings were around 247 or 300 (i.e. at the end of how ever many the service ranked).

What do they do when a player isn’t ranked by a certain site? That’s the big question.

Olivier Robinson-Nkamhou is ranked 150 on rivals, 153 by 247, not ranked by ESPN and no Scout rankings anymore...so how is his average/composite 110?

His post said they use position rankings which is what I was saying.

Just yesterday in the 247 article about him committing to Tennessee, it said his composite was 184.

The only way today it’s 110 is all 3 of the sites changed their ranking on him (today) and 247 updated it’s composite but not their own ranking............but really what are the odds of that.

As best I can tell, for football, they make up missing rankings. I haven't looked at the basketball ones through. Does ESPN only rank so many kids? For football, missing rankings were around 247 or 300 (i.e. at the end of how ever many the service ranked).
Yea that’s the issue...ESPN is 100, Rivals 150 and 247 approximately 225.

No you didn't lol.

Showing one ranking is off proves a singular issue. In this case it's likely because the new rankings were just released.

It has been discussed before...I’m not a huge fan of the guy but Ziti brought it up and proved it years ago. For lots of guys, especially your Top 100 players it’s great, outside of that it’s wildly inaccurate...as evidenced by ORN.

When guys don’t have a position ranking then what? Or how do you decide where to nationally rank a guy who’s say the 45th PG and another who’s the 45th PF, what determines where they rank nationally?

It has been discussed before...I’m not a huge fan of the guy but Ziti brought it up and proved it years ago. For lots of guys, especially your Top 100 players it’s great, outside of that it’s wildly inaccurate...as evidenced by ORN.

When guys don’t have a position ranking then what? Or how do you decide where to nationally rank a guy who’s say the 45th PG and another who’s the 45th PF, what determines where they rank nationally?

Yea I don't know what they do when they don't have a position ranking ranking. Maybe give them a 51 perhaps

Looking at Pember the position rankings match up very closely to the composite ranking

247 ranked 26th PF
Rivals ranked 38 PF
Espn ranked 36 PF

Which ended up with a composite of 34th for 247. That makes mathematical sense

Yea I don't know what they do when they don't have a position ranking ranking. Maybe give them a 51 perhaps

Looking at Pember the position rankings match up very closely to the composite ranking

247 ranked 26th PF
Rivals ranked 38 PF
Espn ranked 36 PF

Which ended up with a composite of 34th for 247. That makes mathematical sense
Ok, now how do you decide where the 34th PF is ranked nationally?

Ok, now how do you decide where the 34th PF is ranked nationally?

I'd assume his 33.33 value goes into the system and all number lower get ranked ahead of him regardless of position.
That's how I would do it

They could just use all five spots in order which would make that 34 around 170 but I don't like it that way

Fwiw i now see that ORN doesn't have a positional rank on rivals.
That very possibly is the reason for the issue

I'd assume his 33.33 value goes into the system and all number lower get ranked ahead of him regardless of position.
That's how I would do it

They could just use all five spots in order which would make that 34 around 170 but I don't like it that way
Except that’s not what they do because the PG position is around 19/20 in that same area, so I’m not sure how they rank them then at that point.

Except that’s not what they do because the PG position is around 19/20 in that same area, so I’m not sure how they rank them then at that point.

They have some way of weighting the positions but if you look down the list the composite Position rank is certainly used. You can see those numbers climb one after another.

I assume they give the bigs more weight in their formula from what I see

Looks like to me they don't weigh the PGs very heavily my guess is because they also have many CG

They have some way of weighting the positions but if you look down the list the composite Position rank is certainly used. You can see those numbers climb one after another.

I assume they give the bigs more weight in their formula from what I see

Looks like to me they don't weigh the PGs very heavily my guess is because they also have many CG

Except in 2018 it was the C who were much lower when you got 150+, so...

Except in 2018 it was the C who were much lower when you got 150+, so...

Yea I don't know how they do it but it's clear the composite position ranking is a big part of how they do it.

Not sure you saw my post but seeing that ORN doesn't have a Position ranking for rivals now has to be a factor in this talk

Yea I don't know how they do it but it's clear the composite position ranking is a big part of how they do it.

Not sure you saw my post but seeing that ORN doesn't have a Position ranking for rivals now has to be a factor in this talk
He’s #32 PF by Rivals, #47 PF by ESPN, #24 PF by 247 national rankings but the composite #18 PF by 247 composite.

Not a fan of Forbes. No resume to speak of. Unless he wins a Natty between now and the time Barnes retires. My point was we don't have settle for the Bargain Basement hires anymore. No disrespect intended.

Billy Donovan left Florida, which was a top 10 program at the time, and Florida got a guy from La Tech. It’s not bargain basement, it’s just the way it works now with how much money is into college sports. Whenever Barnes leaves we will either promote someone or get someone from a lower conference most likely (unless we want to still pay $5M lol)

VN Store

Back