The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

The issue is that you can’t apply a ranking to that at all, no way to know where that stacks him nationally. I also don’t think you can search all prospects on ESPN to see how many say have an 82/81/80/79 etc. grade which would allow you to at least group said players.
No, and I wasn’t making a case otherwise. Bruin said he couldn’t find an ESPN grade for him. I was just helping him by showing he had a grade, just not a ranking.

To me the only accurate way to do it, at least how the system currently is, would be to only use available rankings. If a guy isn’t ranked by a service guy just disregard it...so ORN would be 150 rivals, 153 247 and not ranked by ESPN...so you would only go by the first 2 to calculate his composite which would likely put him somewhere in the 140-160 range.

47 PF us something that could be used in a formula

How? You don’t know nationally where that puts him, unless you’re going to use 247’s positional ranking to find him a national ranking to apply, which would still be capped at a certain point because they only rank up to 50 by position.

How? You don’t know nationally where that puts him, unless you’re going to use 247’s positional ranking to find him a national ranking to apply, which would still be capped at a certain point because they only rank up to 50 by position.

The overall rankings use a pts system based off of positional rankings

At least that's the way I understand it for football

Last edited:
If Kessler reclassified, they would be good this year at UGA. However, Edwards is probably a one and done, and they won’t play together.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
I’ve read that, doesn’t answer any of these questions...basically says they have a secret formula which nobody knows.
Here's how it works for football. The composite is an average of each site's national position or ranking (i.e. #3 in the country) instead of the player's score or rating (i.e. .98). Not sure if they still use four rankings but the formula used to be average the four sites' national ranking, subtract 1, multiply by 0.0004 and then subtract that from 1 to get a rating. I believe ties were ordered by 247 ranking. This was for the overall composite.

How the 247Sports Composite Ranking Works

Here's how it works for football. The composite is an average of each site's national position or ranking (i.e. #3 in the country) instead of the player's score or rating (i.e. .98). Not sure if they still use four rankings but the formula used to be average the four sites' national ranking, subtract 1, multiply by 0.0004 and then subtract that from 1 to get a rating. I believe ties were ordered by 247 ranking. This was for the overall composite.

How the 247Sports Composite Ranking Works
What do they do when a player isn’t ranked by a certain site? That’s the big question.

Olivier Robinson-Nkamhou is ranked 150 on rivals, 153 by 247, not ranked by ESPN and no Scout rankings anymore...so how is his average/composite 110?

VN Store

Back