The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

He stole credit cards from 3 classmates at ND, I thought he played mostly at Okie State?
ND worked out some kind of deal with him and possibly his family not to expel him and to pretend like he simply transferred, in order to save them both from embarrassment or the truth. I can't remember where he went.

I'd say a few of those goons are regular posters in the LV forum.

Definitely. They’re a peculiar bunch. A trip to the LV forum after Harper’s firing would have had you thinking that Danny White had just fired a legendary coach when in actuality, he’d just fired a coach who was 12-30something against ranked teams.

Well, the waiting game continues with North Florida transfer Chaz Lanier. Many thought when Lanier officially entered the portal a couple of weeks ago that he would be a slam dunk to Tennessee. It made a lot of sense.

He went to high school at Ensworth. Tennessee had a very obvious need for perimeter scoring with the departure of Dalton Knecht. Furthermore, with Knecht, Rick Barnes and his staff had just put together a pretty convincing advertisement for how much they can help a grad transfer looking to improve his draft stock late in his college career.

Obviously, as we know now, Lanier to Tennessee wasn’t a slam dunk. That’s not altogether surprising in the current NIL climate, and we cautioned a couple of weeks ago in this space to not rule out someone coming in with a huge offer for Lanier to muddy the waters.

Apparently that is what has happened. You’re rarely going to have transparency with NIL numbers, but there are unsubstantiated reports out there that Lanier has a seven figure offer on the table from both Kentucky and Arkansas. Based off what we’ve heard we believe that offer to be less than $2 million but more than $1 million.

Now, our understanding is that Tennessee has extended (what we would term) a substantial NIL offer to Lanier, but we don’t believe that offer is in the seven figure range. Look no further than Wednesday when he was reported to be on campus at Kentucky on a visit only for that report to be debunked shortly later.

This is speculation on our part, let’s be clear about that, but it seems unlikely to us that Tennessee would match an offer between $1-2 million. And before fans start saying ‘well they don’t want to win,’ you have to consider what kind of impact that would have on team chemistry.

What kind of impact would it have on the locker room if a new guy suddenly comes in and is making three to four times more than even the other best players on the team? As of now we don’t have Lanier down for an official visit to Knoxville, but that could change quickly.

The three new transfers have been drifting in and in a couple of weeks, what there is, of the current team will be together for the first time. We don’t want to pump the hype train too much over a few weeks of postseason workouts in the spring, but Cam Carr is a guy that has generated some buzz. That’s not completely surprising as Carr has always been a guy that the staff has been high on.

The rising sophomore has a huge opportunity in front of him, particularly if Lanier doesn’t end up in Knoxville. Early rumbling suggests that Carr is angling to take advantage of his chances.

Also not surprisingly, as in not remotely surprising, word is that Zakai Zeigler is stepping into an even bigger leadership role if that’s possible. Even as an underclassman Zeigler always had an outsized voice on the team because of his work ethic and his passion.
-VQ

@bleedingTNorange

Yup, gonna roll with 10 scholarships players probably.
If that’s the case I hope the starting lineup is
ZZ / Shack / Dubar / Igor / Okpara.

Carr has a bright future, but if he starts, we’re in trouble next season. Even then, I said the other day we would probably finish around 11-7 if we miss on Lanier.

Neeeeed Lanier

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
If that’s the case I hope the starting lineup is
ZZ / Shack / Dubar / Igor / Okpara.

Carr has a bright future, but if he starts, we’re in trouble next season. Even then, I said the other day we would probably finish around 11-7 if we miss on Lanier.

Neeeeed Lanier

That starting 5 will be menace defensively. Dubar and Igor's offense at higher level competition will be huge for how team performs next year. Gainey probably is who he is at this stage, inconsistent spark plug off bench. Carr and Estrella will have all the opportunities in the world not just for next year but to get them ready for their junior years.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
That starting 5 will be menace defensively. Dubar and Igor's offense at higher level competition will be huge for how team performs next year. Gainey probably is who he is at this stage, inconsistent spark plug off bench. Carr and Estrella will have all the opportunities in the world not just for next year but to get them ready for their junior years.
I think my only issue is that we don’t have a guy that can go out and get 14-15ppg. Maybe Igor?

I know Chaz isn’t guaranteed to score that either, but there’s a reason why UT, UK, Duke, Arky, etc have all reached out to the kid.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about the roster. I think we’re a tourney team, but I think we may look back and think “what if we reached out to other guys”

My concern with the the coaching staff rolling with Cam Carr is that he starts off hot offensively in non-conference games, and then his scoring/offense hits a wall by the time conference play comes around, mainly once teams begin to adjust defensively. Its almost expected for guys to go into a cold spell offensively in this system at some point, which, given the way Cam Carr loves to shoot it, might hurt us potentially in a close game.

DK was 1-of-1, he's one of very few players I've seen in the CRB era to not go cold offensively for a stretch of games throughout the season. Lanier could bring leadership, experience, and an IQ that Carr doesn't have at this point, along with scoring/offense. Its still unproven how his offense will translate to the SEC, but rolling with Carr if we don't land Lanier is a big risk imo.

I would also prefer us finding a backup transfer if we don't land Lanier.

My concern with the the coaching staff rolling with Cam Carr is that he starts off hot offensively in non-conference games, and then his scoring/offense hits a wall by the time conference play comes around, mainly once teams begin to adjust defensively. Its almost expected for guys to go into a cold spell offensively in this system at some point, which, given the way Cam Carr loves to shoot it, might hurt us potentially in a close game.

DK was 1-of-1, he's one of very few players I've seen in the CRB era to not go cold offensively for a stretch of games throughout the season. Lanier could bring leadership, experience, and an IQ that Carr doesn't have at this point, along with scoring/offense. Its still unproven how his offense will translate to the SEC, but rolling with Carr if we don't land Lanier is a big risk imo.

I would also prefer us finding a backup transfer if we don't land Lanier.
As BTO pointed out, we’re not going to roll with only 10 scholarship players. The staff will find some more guys whether Lanier comes here or not. JMO

As BTO pointed out, we’re not going to roll with only 10 scholarship players. The staff will find some more guys whether Lanier comes here or not. JMO
Yeah, I agree. I trust CRB and the coaching staff, they've been able to find a number of players in the past who have been hidden gems for us. Just hope they don't roll with Cam Carr if they don't land Lanier... I don't think they will.

I think my only issue is that we don’t have a guy that can go out and get 14-15ppg. Maybe Igor?

I know Chaz isn’t guaranteed to score that either, but there’s a reason why UT, UK, Duke, Arky, etc have all reached out to the kid.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about the roster. I think we’re a tourney team, but I think we may look back and think “what if we reached out to other guys”
No the concerns are certainly valid. Lanier would have been more sure thing offensively. Now have to see who else they grab to round out last 2 spots and see how the offseason workouts go.

VN Store

Back