The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

1st incompletion in the 1st quarter Hyatt was covered and Joe just threw it away. Hyatt was lone WR on that side of the field, throw it away was the right call unless he wanted to run (which I think the staff told him not to run any)
2nd incompletion in the 1st quarter overthrew Squirrel who was in double coverage, throw was fine but if White was in double coverage. Another play where Joe taking off would have given us a first down.
3rd incompletion end of the 1st quarter overthrows Squirrel in endzone. Had time, had WR open this one was just a bad overthrow.
4th incompletion slight overthrow, White didn't get a clean break around defender and nothing was called (ran the exact same route and White got a DPI when he was tackled the next play)
5th incompletion Hyatt overthrow into the endzone, should have more touch and Hyatt gets there. Just a bad overthrow
6th incompletion pressure and Joe scrambles to his left and tries to make a throw with 5 defenders closing in on him. Hard throw to make across body running left.
7th incompletion pressure and Joe rolls to his right and tries to force a laser to Fant and DB gets a hand on it. Bad decision here, throw would have been a strike if DB misses it (my least favorite throw of the entire night by Joe)
8th incompletion, Fant shows a slant and Joe lobs him a perfect ball but Fant had went Vertical. Fant's fault for changing his route imo.
9th incompletion, deep ball to end 3rd quarter to White think this one got impacted by the wind. But was an overthrow and White was free
10th incompletion, deep ball on target to Keyton who drops it.

So really of the 10 misses I felt like 4 were completely on Joe. Of the 10 he had a total of 6 that were overthrow balls, but of those 6 only 3 were just bad throws and not timing or route issues.
This jives with my impressions while watching live. 3 bad overthrows to one deep completion. for a 25% completion rate on deep throws. Not good but it was a wet ball. And, as someone said, better long than short.

I haven't been watching them this year, but isn't the top player out with injury? If so, what is her prognosis?
Missed two or three games I think and is back playing

She only missed 1 game, against Indiana (3rd game of the season). The Lady Vols are a mixed bag...Pretty Holly just doesn't seem capable of coaching Xs & Os very well, they look like they are playing intramurals out there and a lot of isolation hero ball.

Of course she has mixed in 4 new transfers that are seeing plenty of minutes so no team chemistry isn't helping the lack of coaching an actual offense to run things through either.

Reactions: Ace and i2amavol
I came up with an idea none of you guys will like, but I think is absolutely brilliant.

So what’s the biggest complaint of the NCAA tournament? It’s random. Single elimination and too many wild things happen. Great tv, kind of sucks for good teams that one bad game and you’re done. Can ruin a great season.

Instead of expanding to 128 for selfish, money reasons and diluting the tournament, let’s do like the Champions League. Two games based on aggregate till the Final Four. You give yourself more games, you keep 68 teams so you don’t dilute the teams AND you give teams a chance to redeem yourself. Imagine watching Virginia try and win by 20 after they got blown out by UMBC. You wouldn’t want to watch that?

Okay crazy idea over

I came up with an idea none of you guys will like, but I think is absolutely brilliant.

So what’s the biggest complaint of the NCAA tournament? It’s random. Single elimination and too many wild things happen. Great tv, kind of sucks for good teams that one bad game and you’re done. Can ruin a great season.

Instead of expanding to 128 for selfish, money reasons and diluting the tournament, let’s do like the Champions League. Two games based on aggregate till the Final Four. You give yourself more games, you keep 68 teams so you don’t dilute the teams AND you give teams a chance to redeem yourself. Imagine watching Virginia try and win by 20 after they got blown out by UMBC. You wouldn’t want to watch that?

Okay crazy idea over
I mean, I don't hate it.

Okay crazy idea over

Your biggest complaint is what makes it the best sports event out there IMO

Okay crazy idea over

Not sure it is feasible for basketball since it's not ideal in that sport to play potentially four consecutive days each weekend (and sometimes 2 games in one day...), but I really like the double elimination 4-team brackets of college baseball. It's a nice middle ground between knockout (too random) and best of 3 series (doesn't allow enough teams in the field). But, I don't think the NCAA tournament will be changing because the upsets are what it's known for.

It would be hard to do, but I’m in favor of doing something like Baseball. Make it single elimination until the elite 8, then it’s best of three.

Reactions: zjcvols
You know this might actually be the best team defense we end up with in the Barnes era.

We have better size overall yet still have tenacious on ball defenders on the perimeter and have a few guys inside with the length and athleticism to erase shots.

You know this might actually be the best team defense we end up with in the Barnes era.

We have better size overall yet still have tenacious on ball defenders on the perimeter and have a few guys inside with the length and athleticism to erase shots.
Right now analytically it’s not even close, this is the best defense we’ve had, and you would think it would only get better with JJJ addition.

Right now analytically it’s not even close, this is the best defense we’ve had, and you would think it would only get better with JJJ addition.

Yep, I think of all the best defenses and it seemed to be one or two standouts. But this team is something else...you got legit size and shot blocking from Uros, Aidoo, Awaka, and Olivier...then you have a perimeter guy with NBA length that has actually shown up way further ahead defensively than I think most people expected in Phillips. On ball defense from Santi has gotten better every year and then you have two all SEC defenders in JJJ and ZZ. Now add into the mix Mashack and it's just insane the defensive talent that can be on the floor at the same time with this roster.

Yep, I think of all the best defenses and it seemed to be one or two standouts. But this team is something else...you got legit size and shot blocking from Uros, Aidoo, Awaka, and Olivier...then you have a perimeter guy with NBA length that has actually shown up way further ahead defensively than I think most people expected in Phillips. On ball defense from Santi has gotten better every year and then you have two all SEC defenders in JJJ and ZZ. Now add into the mix Mashack and it's just insane the defensive talent that can be on the floor at the same time with this roster.
I love Phillips’ length. His frame is slight, but his length and reach compensate for that. Aidoo is a smart, hard-working guy. He’s already impressive, and is going to make a huge difference in our interior defense. Our DNA this year is defense.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I love Phillips’ length. His frame is slight, but his length and reach compensate for that. Aidoo is a smart, hard-working guy. He’s already impressive, and is going to make a huge difference in our interior defense. Our DNA this year is defense.

Yeah Aidoo added the size and strength big time from when he came in...really think his growth as a player just comes down to minutes playing at this point.

Phillips has all the tools and the motivation to play defense and try and be a great defender that's all you can ask for. I'd love for him to stay another year and add more size/strength but expect he'll just do that in the NBA.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Typical UT team. Offense is basically non-existent. We may lose a couple of 54-48 games this year.

Defense is superb. Hope UT can develop some inside presence and not live or die by the 3. Would love to see more of
Mashack and Phillips driving more to the rim, they are extremely athletic if coach will let them loose.

We haven’t had a true dynamic rim-protector in quite some time and Aidoo developing into exactly that is making a huge difference. Uros is fine, but Aidoo seems to know how to utilize his length on defense to his advantage. I’ve been really encouraged by how he defends considering he is still so young and hasn’t played that much.

Yeah Pons was an elite defender for us...but it's not quite the same as having a nearly 7' guy that's actively in the paint position for rebounds or waiting to erase interior shots at the rim.

Kyle is probably the last true one we had...his career 1.4 was a bit low though. I think Aidoo's upside is just higher and if he can be a 24-26 mpg player then he'll have more opportunities to get blocks and rebounds.

Per 40s are useful for this sort of assumption
Kyle's per 40s for his career 10.3 ppg, 11.1 rpg and 3.1 bpg
Aidoo's per 40 for this season is sitting at 9.2 ppg, 11.2 rpg and 3.1 bpg (but he's a lot more active in assists/steals than Kyle was)

The really encouraging thing though is looking at Awaka's per 40s, 10.9 ppg, 20.0 rpg, 3.6 bpg :oops:

This is just an exciting roster to see develop for this season and hopefully into the future with the crazy incoming talent.

Yeah Pons was an elite defender for us...but it's not quite the same as having a nearly 7' guy that's actively in the paint position for rebounds or waiting to erase interior shots at the rim.

Kyle is probably the last true one we had...his career 1.4 was a bit low though. I think Aidoo's upside is just higher and if he can be a 24-26 mpg player then he'll have more opportunities to get blocks and rebounds.

Per 40s are useful for this sort of assumption
Kyle's per 40s for his career 10.3 ppg, 11.1 rpg and 3.1 bpg
Aidoo's per 40 for this season is sitting at 9.2 ppg, 11.2 rpg and 3.1 bpg (but he's a lot more active in assists/steals than Kyle was)

The really encouraging thing though is looking at Awaka's per 40s, 10.9 ppg, 20.0 rpg, 3.6 bpg :oops:

This is just an exciting roster to see develop for this season and hopefully into the future with the crazy incoming talent.
Yeah, Awaka is my dream player. One last thing on Aidoo is that he has nice, soft hands and from a turnover standpoint he’s going to be much better than Uros and ON. His vision is really good, too, and he’s a good passer and makes good decisions.

VN Store

Back