The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Went back and rewatched the 2014 run. A name I haven't heard of in years is Darius Thompson. Would have been nice to hold on to him. One of the best pure passers i've seen at UT.

Went back and rewatched the 2014 run. A name I haven't heard of in years is Darius Thompson. Would have been nice to hold on to him. One of the best pure passers i've seen at UT.
I remember watching him play high school ball in Murfreesboro and I thought he would be a great player for UT. Good guard size and skills. Transferred to Virginia for a couple of years and kind of got recruited over/ didn't develop and went to Western Kentucky. Looks like he is playing in Russia last few years.

Emory Lanier, former Webb guard and son of forner Vol asst. Rob, has been averaging about 12mpg while Davidson leading scorer has been out with injury. Lanier, who began the seasonas the No.3 point guard, has been drawing praise for his defensive efforts.

Reactions: 31VFL
I bet Gainey's son transfers to UT in a couple of years, if Dad stays at UT. Won his conference's freshman of the year. He played horrible against UT, tho. Trying too hard in front of Dad and so early in his first year, imo

Last edited:
How is the 2022 class looking, fellas?

Know we got BJ Edwards, but can we expect anyone else?

Will depend on attrition. Right now Fulky is the only for sure guy that can't return (and he's not counting against our 13). Bailey could use next season, but he will likely count against the 13 still if he does return. And then the assumption is KC leaves, which would open up the spot for BJ.

Btw, even though Arkansas has the highest foul differential at home. When comparing home/away splits they're actually 2nd to Bama in home court foul advantage. That's a metric over the last couple seasons LSU has been #1 in the country in.

Interesting thread on three charge calls last night that should have been blocks.

I know it’s easy to sit here and critique seeing the replays, but I seriously don’t know how, absent some sort of intention to help Arkansas, you call charges on the first and third videos there. Your average middle school ref wouldn’t have missed those

I know it’s easy to sit here and critique seeing the replays, but I seriously don’t know how, absent some sort of intention to help Arkansas, you call charges on the first and third videos there. Your average middle school ref wouldn’t have missed those
It’a just a coincidence that SEC refs in multiple sports consistently make unconscionably bad calls.

Reactions: Lankykong
I honestly thought the second one was the most egregious, but all terrible. Hopefully this makes the rounds on social media and we get a better whistle Saturday.

Interesting thread on three charge calls last night that should have been blocks.

Only the 2nd one was even close, but still a block. Williams blatantly leaned into Eason and flopped on the first one. The 3rd one is about as bad as I've seen.

This season has me more anxious than I normally am. In years that we have good teams I feel pretty good about just enjoying the ride. And this year we have a good team but I feel like we keep getting closer to playing to our full potential, and the closer we get to the tourney the more anxious I get about it. We can and will compete w anyone but when everything starts to click I think we could really be great

So, it's a big weekend for Tennessee Athletics across the board.

Tennessee Baseball
Participating in the prestigious Shriner's College Classic at Minute Maid Park. All three games nationally televised, and it kicks off tonight against the top team in the land, the #1 Texas Longhorns in a rematch of the College World Series. Huge statement weekend for Tony V and the BaseVols.

Tennessee Football
It's Junior Day and we're hosting arguably the most important football recruit in the last few years. We have a realistic shot at landing a composite Top-5 player in the country, Nico Iamaleava. He's aiming to commit in April, and we're in a strong position. Time to close the deal this weekend. We need TBA rocking all afternoon.

Tennessee Basketball
Obviously, we all know on this board how big the weekend is. A chance to cement ourselves as a 3-seed and position ourselves for a 2-seed in March. Plus, 4 major recruits in TBA to see the Vols.

I can't remember the last time Tennessee had a weekend as big as this for our sports program holistically. Hopefully on Sunday night we'll have a lot to celebrate about the Vols.

Also, I thought this was interesting, only Fulky and Brock are taking part in Senior Day this year. No Victor Bailey is weird. Either means he is coming back next year or is leaving without wanting to take part in Senior Day?

Reactions: Vols All Day
So, it's a big weekend for Tennessee Athletics across the board.

Tennessee Baseball
Participating in the prestigious Shriner's College Classic at Minute Maid Park. All three games nationally televised, and it kicks off tonight against the top team in the land, the #1 Texas Longhorns in a rematch of the College World Series. Huge statement weekend for Tony V and the BaseVols.

Tennessee Football
It's Junior Day and we're hosting arguably the most important football recruit in the last few years. We have a realistic shot at landing a composite Top-5 player in the country, Nico Iamaleava. He's aiming to commit in April, and we're in a strong position. Time to close the deal this weekend. We need TBA rocking all afternoon.

Tennessee Basketball
Obviously, we all know on this board how big the weekend is. A chance to cement ourselves as a 3-seed and position ourselves for a 2-seed in March. Plus, 4 major recruits in TBA to see the Vols.

I can't remember the last time Tennessee had a weekend as big as this for our sports program holistically. Hopefully on Sunday night we'll have a lot to celebrate about the Vols.
Chase Burns is dealing it. A couple baserunning mistakes by Vols and a questionable call, but so far not hurting them.

Reactions: berryvol
ZZ is a guard hes going to turn the ball over to try and make play, it is what it is. A big should never turn the ball over in the stupid and careless manner that ORN constantly does. If its not there kick it out and re start the play, not put your head down and drive straight into double teams. The jobs of the positions are different. ZZ's requires him to take chances, ORN's doesnt. He is selfish.

I somewhat agree with your post but not the last sentence at all. He was expected to be our top big coming into the season and Barnes surely encouraged him to be aggressive. ON just needs to find smarter ways to be aggressive within the flow of the game.

ON's basketball IQ on offense needs improvement but it's not like his position is one that plays the game with no ball pressure. He faces up to the basket as much or more than he posts up. He gets the ball up top in the screen game a lot and is expected to make a good pass (something Uros is better at) or if he is closer in and has the opportunity then he is expected to drive the ball....a good defense will have guards cutting off his lanes or reaching in to slap at the ball on those drives.

When he does post up and goes to his shoulder facing the paint then he will have guards crashing down from behind or at an angle. He needs to keep the ball up higher and learn when to not dribble into a double team and kick it out instead but it's not completely unexpected for some turnovers to happen with a big who mostly plays going to the basket. I agree that he needs to be better there.

I think this injury will be a good thing for his development and he will get smarter by watching a bit and then playing over the summer, especially if it's for the Finland national team. I expect big things from him next year.....he has an NBA level blend of size, strength and athletic ability to go along with a good 3pt shot and turnaround jumper down low....can also hit midrange jumpers. He is also physical on D, blocks shots and rebounds very well....even over taller guys. If he puts it together he can be all SEC and a 2nd round or late 1st round draft pick.

VN Store

Back