The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Something that went through my head today was the silver lining behind last year’s covid season was it may allow us to get a 5th year from Vescovi (obviously only if he wants it). He was originally in that class in the first place anyway. With how good he’s been and seems to be getting better, could be a special year if he stays
Next year would be his 4th, hard to project what his 5th year would look like as far as it being a special year.

I was looking at KenPom's 'home court advantage' estimates where he estimates the advantage in points by each team (ie instead of a general 3 point advantage, Colorado has near 5 point advantage at home). In his analysis for most teams it's foul differential home vs away which is the strongest influence on home court advantage (in the case of Colorado it's elevation). Moreso even than home scoring advantage. He hypothesizes that the crowd may make a difference, but I can't understand why that's the case. Would seem to me to be simply a case of home cooking. The SEC ranks 2nd in the country in foul margin differential. Is this evidence of how bad SEC refs are? Of course we share refs with other conferences too. And the power conferences are all in the top half in this metric. Is officiating the opposite of a meritocracy? Where being "bad" is actually rewarded? Refs who influence games with their calls are the ones who rise to the top and call major conference games? Anyway, here's the list of SEC teams who benefit the most. Doesn't surprise me to see LSU up there.
View attachment 431119
I don’t think it’s any secret that crowds influence calls/refs mindset, interesting to see it laid out though.

EJ Anosike says hold my beer. He made me suspicious of how lower level success translates to the P5 level
Anosike is an odd case. Rebounding usually translates, but despite being extremely effective as an offensive player at that lower level, he just couldn't cut in the SEC and had his PT cut to nothing. Can't rebound if you're not playing. His offense (defense, too, for that matter) was so bad, and his rebounding wasn’t dominant enough to get him any time on the floor. He transferred down in competition and he's backing to dominating.

Next year would be his 4th, hard to project what his 5th year would look like as far as it being a special year.

Okay ignore the special season part my main point was it’s awesome we have the possibility to get two more years from a guy playing at this level. exciting to have more than just one more year

Think how fun it’d be to have a 5th year vescovi leading our team on a deep in the run in the tourney making big shots. Idc I’m gonna think about it sue me
Oh it’s fun to think about, I’m just saying from like a team roster standpoint and expectations it’s hard to project what that team would look like at this point. Next years team could definitely be pretty special and a lot of hope, especially if Chandler were to return.

Reactions: ArdentVol
He ain’t walking on, if he opts to transfer he will have a long list of suitors.
Why not, though? Other than ego. Is there really that much advantage to being a scholarship player? I'm asking because I don't know. What does Gainey miss out on by being a walk-on, even if just for a year? Are there some restrictions that the walk-ons are constrained by that scholarship players aren't?

The obvious difference is having school, room, and board being paid for. As a family member of a university employee, I thought that aspect was covered. @BruinVol never posts in this forum, anymore, but this is a subject I feel like he'd have some insight on.

Last edited:
We didn’t do it for Lanier or Oliver’s kids, we didn’t do it to keep Pember, it just doesn’t really happen and it’s a bad look to ask someone to do it. Not happening.

I’m not saying it will happen. Just that it’s an option. We’ve started doing it in football, so I highly doubt we’re concerned about it being a “bad look”

I was looking at KenPom's 'home court advantage' estimates where he estimates the advantage in points by each team (ie instead of a general 3 point advantage, Colorado has near 5 point advantage at home). In his analysis for most teams it's foul differential home vs away which is the strongest influence on home court advantage (in the case of Colorado it's elevation). Moreso even than home scoring advantage. He hypothesizes that the crowd may make a difference, but I can't understand why that's the case. Would seem to me to be simply a case of home cooking. The SEC ranks 2nd in the country in foul margin differential. Is this evidence of how bad SEC refs are? Of course we share refs with other conferences too. And the power conferences are all in the top half in this metric. Is officiating the opposite of a meritocracy? Where being "bad" is actually rewarded? Refs who influence games with their calls are the ones who rise to the top and call major conference games? Anyway, here's the list of SEC teams who benefit the most. Doesn't surprise me to see LSU up there.
View attachment 431119
Surprises me to see UK in the middle.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Why not, though? Other than ego. Is there really that much advantage to being a scholarship player? I'm asking because I don't know. What does Gainey miss out on by being a walk-on, even if just for a year? Are there some restrictions that the walk-ons are constrained by that scholarship players aren't?

The obvious difference is having school, room, and board being paid for. As a family member of a university employee, I thought that aspect was covered. @Bruin never posts in this forum, anymore, but this is a subject I feel like he'd have some insight on.
Thought I recall it being mentioned that there are definitely restrictions on scholarship/walk-on…the access to facilities, nutrition, nutrition staff, tutors, meals, medical treatment/prevention etc.

Tamba is an instate kid who could’ve got his whole ride covered academically most likely, Pember is instate and his parents do pretty well, Lanier & Oliver’s kids went elsewhere…there’s a reason you hardly ever see it.

Thought I recall it being mentioned that there are definitely restrictions on scholarship/walk-on…the access to facilities, nutrition, nutrition staff, tutors, meals, medical treatment/prevention etc.

Tamba is an instate kid who could’ve got his whole ride covered academically most likely, Pember is instate and his parents do pretty well, Lanier & Oliver’s kids went elsewhere…there’s a reason you hardly ever see it.
And that first part may be true, which is why I asked. Not sure how it may be different for the son of a staff member vs. cases like Tamba or Pember. I'm not certain the financial comparison between two unaffiliated kids and the son of an assistant coach equates, either.

In any case, I can't see us using a scholarship on him, next year. We have none open, and much bigger needs in the post. Maybe he could walk on for a year and then go on scholarship as a JR and SR as we have scholarships open up in the 2023 and 2024 classes.

And that first part may be true, which is why I asked. Not sure how it may be different for the son of a staff member vs. cases like Tamba or Pember. I'm not certain the financial comparison between two unaffiliated kids and the son of an assistant coach equates, either.

In any case, I can't see us using a scholarship on him, next year. We have none open, and much bigger needs in the post. Maybe he could walk on for a year and then go on scholarship as a JR and SR as we have scholarships open up in the 2023 and 2024 classes.

Yep. This was simply my point. I’m not advocating to use the new NIL and transfer portal rules to manipulate scholarship every single year, but there are certain extremely unique circumstances where it could apply and not be an out of left field idea.

Heupel has already done it in football with Navy Schuler, using his family connections to TN to draw him here and help him pay for school without using a scholarship on yet another QB. Same could apply to Jordan Gainey and his family connections.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup

I doubt it happens either because Barnes definitely won’t encourage it, but if he entered the portal I could see it. And yes scholarships appear to be limited at this time for next year, so who knows…I was simply saying I would take him, but I see zero chance it’s as a walk-on unless as you mentioned it’s a 1 year deal and even then I think that’s unlikely.

Yep. This was simply my point. I’m not advocating to use the new NIL and transfer portal rules to manipulate scholarship every single year, but there are certain extremely unique circumstances where it could apply and not be an out of left field idea.

Heupel has already done it in football with Navy Schuler, using his family connections to TN to draw him here and help him pay for school without using a scholarship on yet another QB. Same could apply to Jordan Gainey and his family connections.
Makes total sense to me unless there are significant restrictions/constraints to being a walk-on as opposed to a scholarship player (limited or restricted access to nutritional resources, for example). I think the financial issues are minimal. His tuition, room, and board are all free or deeply discounted as the son of staff member.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
I doubt it happens either because Barnes definitely won’t encourage it, but if he entered the portal I could see it.

If this implies that Chandler stays, then yeah. Lots of question marks in the post, but I think you’d be pretty happy with a core of guards in Chandler, ZZ, Vescovi, JJJ, Maschack, and Powell. You’d hope Powell would make big strides in the off-season and return to the flashes we saw of NBA talent at Auburn.

You have no idea what you will get from Plavsic, BHH, ON, Tamba, and Aidoo.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Was Schuler the FCPOY? Did he even play? If not I’m not sure how that’s even comparable.

Makes total sense to me unless there are significant restrictions/constraints to being a walk-on as opposed to a scholarship player (limited or restricted access to nutritional resources, for example). I think the financial issues are minimal. His tuition, room, and board are all free or deeply discounted as the son of staff member.
Yea I don’t think it would be for financial reasons, more so the restrictions and perception…the Berry’s did do it, Tamba didn’t, Pember didn’t, you just don’t typically see it happen with a legitimate player who has options.

Was Schuler the FCPOY? Did he even play? If not I’m not sure how that’s even comparable.

I think they’re pretty comparable. What’s the difference between a full-ride scholarship and a full-ride NIL/university employee discount? Both result in paying nothing for school. Both result in a roster spot. And if it’s for one year because we’re a guard laden team you can put him scholarship the next year.

I don’t know enough about the restrictions between PWO vs Scholly Player but from a financial standpoint and a playing time standpoint there isn’t much difference. Barnes I’m sure would treat him like any other guard. If you perform, you play, regardless if your schooling is covered on scholarship.

I think they’re pretty comparable. What’s the difference between a full-ride scholarship and a full-ride NIL/university employee discount? Both result in paying nothing for school. Both result in a roster spot. And if it’s for one year because we’re a guard laden team you can put him scholarship the next year.

I don’t know enough about the restrictions between PWO vs Scholly Player but from a financial standpoint and a playing time standpoint there isn’t much difference. Barnes I’m sure would treat him like any other guard. If you perform, you play, regardless if your schooling is covered on scholarship.
I’m not referring to difference between them as students here, I’m talking about difference in them as a prospect…did Schuler have other HM’s knocking down his door trying to bring him in on scholarship like Gainey would? That was my point.

If this implies that Chandler stays, then yeah. Lots of question marks in the post, but I think you’d be pretty happy with a core of guards in Chandler, ZZ, Vescovi, JJJ, Maschack, and Powell. You’d hope Powell would make big strides in the off-season and return to the flashes we saw of NBA talent at Auburn.

You have no idea what you will get from Plavsic, BHH, ON, Tamba, and Aidoo.
If just Fulk & Bailey leave we are full, if Chandler leaves too then I could see going guard or post.

VN Store

Back