The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Yep. This was simply my point. I’m not advocating to use the new NIL and transfer portal rules to manipulate scholarship every single year, but there are certain extremely unique circumstances where it could apply and not be an out of left field idea.

Heupel has already done it in football with Navy Schuler, using his family connections to TN to draw him here and help him pay for school without using a scholarship on yet another QB. Same could apply to Jordan Gainey and his family connections.
Was Allan Houston on scholarship?

I think they’re pretty comparable. What’s the difference between a full-ride scholarship and a full-ride NIL/university employee discount? Both result in paying nothing for school. Both result in a roster spot. And if it’s for one year because we’re a guard laden team you can put him scholarship the next year.

I don’t know enough about the restrictions between PWO vs Scholly Player but from a financial standpoint and a playing time standpoint there isn’t much difference. Barnes I’m sure would treat him like any other guard. If you perform, you play, regardless if your schooling is covered on scholarship.

totally a guess. But I think it’s likely the admissions department is not a fan of athletes getting academic scholarships. Probably rules around it too to prevent abuse of the scholarship limit system

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
I’m not referring to difference between them as students here, I’m talking about difference in them as a prospect…did Schuler have other HM’s knocking down his door trying to bring him in on scholarship like Gainey would? That was my point.

I know Navy had other offers, but I didn’t follow the situation close enough to know exactly from who. I just skim the recurring forum. Yes, Jordan Gainey is the better prospect. That’s not in question, IMO.

If it was anyone else, I’d say there is obviously no chance at all he walks on here. But, I think the fact that he is a coaches son is a pretty big factor you’re underplaying a bit. If the financials are the same, and he wants to play for his dad I’m not sure why he wouldn’t do it. Maybe he has no interest in playing for his dad though. Who knows. It’s pure speculation.

Could also be that typically home teams play better than away, and most of the time the better team/more aggressive team gets more calls.
Probably to a degree. But I’d expect that to be equally if not more evident in the scoring advantage. Anyway I’m mostly referring to the relative margins between conferences in regards to officiating

I know Navy had other offers, but I didn’t follow the situation close enough to know exactly from who. I just skim the recurring forum. Yes, Jordan Gainey is the better prospect. That’s not in question, IMO.

If it was anyone else, I’d say there is obviously no chance at all he walks on here. But, I think the fact that he is a coaches son is a pretty big factor you’re underplaying a bit. If the financials are the same, and he wants to play for his dad I’m not sure why he wouldn’t do it. Maybe he has no interest in playing for his dad though. Who knows. It’s pure speculation.

Seemed like Tennessee happened quick, don’t recall any HM’s pursuing him…HM’s weren’t pursuing him out of HS, not sure that they were after sitting a year and not playing a snap?

Well like I’ve said you’re pretty restricted on what you get and definitely don’t get the treatment of a “scholarship player”, so if another HM is offering that I would sure consider it if it was me, and be a little bothered that Tennessee wasn’t. There’s 1,000+ coaches nations wide, many have kids who play, not too many instances of a legitimate prospect walking on at a school.

I think there are NBA sites which track these types of stats by officials. Might be interesting to understand it at that level where crowd and the officiating pool are not so variable. I would expect better refs to show a smaller variance in margin calling home teams vs away teams. But those are certainly not the ones you see who “succeed”. Same goes in baseball and strike zones. Ones who are demonstrably bad end up calling World Series games.

Reactions: berryvol
Seemed like Tennessee happened quick, don’t recall any HM’s pursuing him…HM’s weren’t pursuing him out of HS, not sure that they were after sitting a year and not playing a snap?

Well like I’ve said you’re pretty restricted on what you get and definitely don’t get the treatment of a “scholarship player”, so if another HM is offering that I would sure consider it if it was me, and be a little bothered that Tennessee wasn’t. There’s 1,000+ coaches nations wide, many have kids who play, not too many instances of a legitimate prospect walking on at a school.

See below.

I’ll be clear, I think the chances of Jordan doing this are extremely remote, but it’s a fun idea to speculate on that @cncchris33 brought up. I don’t think we use a scholly on him. Even if Chandler doesn’t return we are loaded at guard.

Don’t get me wrong i would be all for it, and like Chris said maybe there’s a chance they got him to walk-on for a year with assurance he’d then go on scholarship, I just don’t see it as likely at all.

Neither do I. Just having some fun with the idea. Chandler returning or not returning, doesn’t really matter, we don’t have room. With Chandler we have 8 guards on scholly next year. Without Chandler, it’s 7. Adding another guard would be ill-advised and I’m not sure whose minutes he would eat into.

Neither do I. Just having some fun with the idea. Chandler returning or not returning, doesn’t really matter, we don’t have room. With Chandler we have 8 guards on scholly next year. Without Chandler, it’s 7. Adding another guard would be ill-advised and I’m not sure whose minutes he would eat into.
Probably would depend on how Rick wants to play going forward or next year…if you’re gonna go small ball again with JJJ at the 4 and maybe Powell some even then less need in the post and Gainey could have a role. If you’re going to go back to more traditional 2 bigs then a post definitely is needed.

totally a guess. But I think it’s likely the admissions department is not a fan of athletes getting academic scholarships. Probably rules around it too to prevent abuse of the scholarship limit system
The employee discount isn't funded by a scholarship (academic or athletic) though, is it?

If this implies that Chandler stays, then yeah. Lots of question marks in the post, but I think you’d be pretty happy with a core of guards in Chandler, ZZ, Vescovi, JJJ, Maschack, and Powell. You’d hope Powell would make big strides in the off-season and return to the flashes we saw of NBA talent at Auburn.

You have no idea what you will get from Plavsic, BHH, ON, Tamba, and Aidoo.
Got to remember we will have BJ Edwards coming in too so we will have a ton of guards

Reactions: ArdentVol
Anosike is an odd case. Rebounding usually translates, but despite being extremely effective as an offensive player at that lower level, he just couldn't cut in the SEC and had his PT cut to nothing. Can't rebound if you're not playing. His offense (defense, too, for that matter) was so bad, and his rebounding wasn’t dominant enough to get him any time on the floor. He transferred down in competition and he's backing to dominating.
He couldn't get his shot up against SEC caliber rim protectors

VN Store

Back