The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

That would help him to be a better college player for sure, though I also wouldn't want him to fall into forcing things, that doesn't seem like it will be an issue. But to catch the eyes of NBA scouts he needs to become an excellent or at least very good spot of shooter first and foremost, he's never gonna be the featured scorer on any NBA team

Agreed.

However, with his size & length, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be attacking the rim more often.

JJJ was quietly one of our best players. He’s a good college player. Though I agree that at this point projecting him as a first rounder is a pretty bold prediction. Would love to see it happen though
I argued, and still believe, he was our most valuable player thru the first month of the season, last year.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
He could be 1st round or at least drafted. Where he’s picked has everything to do with who else is in the mix. Especially how many enter from European and other countries.

If he does go there could be a lot of turnover next year. Chandler, BHH, Fulk, probably Bailey gone. JJJ could declare as discussed. Vescovi seems like he's itching to start a career in Europe and could leave. Powell showed up on some mock drafts towards the start of this last season

End of the day, regardless of individual opinions on players. I will 100% always want to see our guys projected as draft picks and root for them to get selected. It does nothing but help us as a program moving forward.

I want Keon, Jaden, and Pons to get drafted. I hope like hell someone takes JJJ next year as well as Chandler and hell I'd love for the last pick to be for Fulky just so he can get drafted. Never will I ever argue that our guys don't deserve to be drafted though.

I think everyone on this board would love for JJJ to get drafted in round 1 next year (or any year). Hell, I would love for our entire roster to get drafted in round 1.

Just because someone doesn't think a player is a first rounder doesn't mean they dislike the player or doesn't want them to be successful. But I get it that most can't handle any sort of criticism these days.

I think everyone on this board would love for JJJ to get drafted in round 1 next year (or any year). Hell, I would love for our entire roster to get drafted in round 1.

Just because someone doesn't think a player is a first rounder doesn't mean they dislike the player or doesn't want them to be successful. But I get it that most can't handle any sort of criticism these days.

It's all opinion, you moved the goal post any time I addressed your latest point. But I get most can't handle healthy debate without taking it personal these days.

It's all opinion, you moved the goal post any time I addressed your latest point. But I get most can't handle healthy debate without taking it personal these days.

I didn't move the goalposts. I still think Keon and Jaden were both better than JJJ last year. That is the only point you feel like I missed or moved. You are the one that decided Keon and Springer being shorter somehow had an impact on JJJ's draft stock and then when I addressed those in direct comparison to JJJ, you said I moved the goal posts lol.

Springer's advanced metrics were better in pretty much every single category than JJJ last year other than rebounding. Now if you look at that for only conference play, both of them were superior in almost every category accept rebounding. However the rebounding gap had closed considerably.

I didn't move the goalposts. I still think Keon and Jaden were both better than JJJ last year. That is the only point you feel like I missed or moved. You are the one that decided Keon and Springer being shorter somehow had an impact on JJJ's draft stock and then when I addressed those in direct comparison to JJJ, you said I moved the goal posts lol.

Springer's advanced metrics were better in pretty much every single category than JJJ last year other than rebounding. Now if you look at that for only conference play, both of them were superior in almost every category accept rebounding. However the rebounding gap had closed considerably.

I'm confused how JJJ being a 6'6" wing player is a dime a dozen, but both Jaden/Keon as smaller wing players are somehow not a dime a dozen? Again all they showed was a better ability to score, but both also put up more volume than JJJ so can't just ignore that they both shot 2 more shots a game than JJJ and lead the team in that category when you talk about them averaging 3-4 more points a game.

The biggest complaint I'd have with JJJ game is he took more 3 shots per game than 2 point shots. Had he shot more 2s and driven more he'd also have increased his FTA like Keon/Jaden did.

Advanced metrics are per 40 I assume?
1619120861241.png

JJJ leads again in every category except assists and points, if that's not the advanced metrics you're referencing then share them.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
I'm confused how JJJ being a 6'6" wing player is a dime a dozen, but both Jaden/Keon as smaller wing players are somehow not a dime a dozen? Again all they showed was a better ability to score, but both also put up more volume than JJJ so can't just ignore that they both shot 2 more shots a game than JJJ and lead the team in that category when you talk about them averaging 3-4 more points a game.

The biggest complaint I'd have with JJJ game is he took more 3 shots per game than 2 point shots. Had he shot more 2s and driven more he'd also have increased his FTA like Keon/Jaden did.

Advanced metrics are per 40 I assume?
View attachment 363776

JJJ leads again in every category except assists and points, if that's not the advanced metrics you're referencing then share them.

Because being 6'6" is his only NBA trait currently. That won't be enough. Sorry I worded that poorly.

Also, per 40 minutes are just their averages extrapolated over 40 minutes. They aren't advanced metrics at all, so that isn't it. Keep scrolling on the site you pulled that from and there is an entire section titled "advanced" and then there is another one that is advanced in conference.

1619122408998.png

So, JJJ shoots 3s too often and doesn't get many FT attempts. His assist % dropped since he was no longer playing the point. Again other than scoring the only thing Keon or Jaden out performed in was assist %, but both played the point far more often than JJJ this year.

But it's not a him vs them debate. I feel like if their numbers are good enough to be drafted then so should his. Every metric, advanced or otherwise shows he's a better defender than either.

View attachment 363783

So, JJJ shoots 3s too often and doesn't get many FT attempts. His assist % dropped since he was no longer playing the point. Again other than scoring the only thing Keon or Jaden out performed in was assist %, but both played the point far more often than JJJ this year.

But it's not a him vs them debate. I feel like if their numbers are good enough to be drafted then so should his. Every metric, advanced or otherwise shows he's a better defender than either.

Check the SEC advanced metrics and let me know if you still feel that way. Not to mention Springer is 2 years younger and Keon is about 18 months younger. Makes a big difference in the eyes of the NBA.

May also surprise people to know that JJJ's Player Efficiency Rating (PER) was 2nd on the team, only behind Springer. His total Win Shares were tied for the lead on the team, too.
FWIW, prior to his injury, he led the SEC in +/- (he finished 3rd, overall). He finished 5th in defensive win shares and he also finished tops in the conference in defensive efficiency rating.

A lot of what JJJ does well doesn’t show up in traditional box scores. I will agree with those who don’t view him as a 1st rd pick that his offensive game needs to grow, as does his shooting percentages, ability to finish strong at the rim, and his willingness to be more assertive. He has the goods as a defensive player, and he might even have it as an offensive player, but until he asserts himself more into the offense, he is going to leave us all, scouts included, wanting more.

As someone who watches a lot of NBA and has watched every game JJJ has played at UT...

I think his path to the NBA is to become a 3 & D player. Dorian Finney-Smith comes to mind as the player that JJJ can be in the NBA. An NBA starter and role player.

But, he has a long way to go to get there.

Reactions: Vol49er

VN Store

Back