The Official “Let’s Rally Behind The Team” Thread

I was majorly skeptical of Kellie's bonafides when we hired her, but I've been pleased with the progress, especially this season. It was nice to see the Lady Vols being talked about as a one seed.

That being said, I'm not sure how a loss like this one doesn't erode your confidence just a bit. She doesn't have any notable accomplishments yet (winning the regular season or SECT title, making the Final Four, etc.), and it's not like Holly's teams didn't achieve high rankings during the regular season. That's not the goal.

Maybe it's the battered Vol syndrome, but I'll believe she's the right coach when her team does something concrete to prove it. Hasn't happened yet, and losing to Auburn can't be overlooked.
You measure success by extremes. That’s not the way it works. Year 3 with one of those being a Covid year, key players transferring, players hurt….Harper is coach of the year.

You measure success by extremes. That’s not the way it works. Year 3 with one of those being a Covid year, key players transferring, players hurt….Harper is coach of the year.

Poor Kellie... the only coach who has to deal with Covid, transfers, and injuries...

So, what are your expectations of Kellie in her third season? A conference championship? A final four or elite eight or sweet sixteen? To never lose to a lesser opponent in a road game? What is realistic to expect of a third year coach who inherited the program as it was and has seen recruiting hindered by covid protocols? What is fair to expect?
I have to chuckle when I see Auburn described as a "lesser opponent." They're the "least" opponent, if we're being real.

But honestly, if the team seriously contends for the conference championship and makes a run to, say, the Elite Eight, I'll be pleased. That all seems fair, as it's not like she was in a Dawn Staley situation when she took over a moribund South Carolina program.

I respect those with optimism, but the reality seems more likely to be enough conference losses to fade from title contention and a sooner-than-we'd-like NCAAT exit. I hope I'm wrong.

I have to chuckle when I see Auburn described as a "lesser opponent." They're the "least" opponent, if we're being real.

But honestly, if the team seriously contends for the conference championship and makes a run to, say, the Elite Eight, I'll be pleased. That all seems fair, as it's not like she was in a Dawn Staley situation when she took over a moribund South Carolina program.

I respect those with optimism, but the reality seems more likely to be enough conference losses to fade from title contention and a sooner-than-we'd-like NCAAT exit. I hope I'm wrong.
You’re wrong.

Contend for the conference championship? She's doing that right now, tied with SC for the top. Long way to go but........ And an elite eight? Well, she's ranked among the top eight right now, so there you go. She has some very tough games coming up at Fla, at UConn, at SC, and LSU here. If she loses all of those she finishes 23-6 in her third year with the tournaments left to play. That, Redbird, would be a terrific accomplishment. If she wins two or three of those she'll be coach of the year.

I have to chuckle when you minimize the condition of the LV program when Kellie took over as not like the "Dawn Staley situation....moribund,,,,etc". It took Stalely 7 years to get to the EE or beyond. None of those years was a covid year when recruiting and development of players came to a halt. The LV program WAS moribund when Kellie took over, with recruits bailing out and the morale in the gutter. She suffered a covid shutdown in her first year (no tournaments) and interruptions and recruiting bans her second year. That has hurt her player development and recruiting in so many ways. So I think your expectation of an EE in her third year is unrealistic. I would be thrilled with a SS, but don't expect it.

Poor Kellie... the only coach who has to deal with Covid, transfers, and injuries...

Dirt_Ball says:

Yeah, DV, buddy, can you believe these Homers? Making excuses for Kellie's pathetic 19-2 record? Everyone knows the covid constraints affected the non-elite programs the worst, because those constraints prevented on-campus recruiting and player development. So, Kellie, with her already established elite program, wasn't hurt any more than her competitors. Uhhhh........wait........uhhhh..... And injuries? EVERYONE has injuries. Look at Geno - he's had as many as Kellie and he still has his team in the top 7. Uhhhh.........Uhhhh........wait. Uh - never mind. Gosh, thinking through things thoroughly is hard........

Dirt_Ball says:

Yeah, DV, buddy, can you believe these Homers? Making excuses for Kellie's pathetic 19-2 record? Everyone knows the covid constraints affected the non-elite programs the worst, because those constraints prevented on-campus recruiting and player development. So, Kellie, with her already established elite program, wasn't hurt any more than her competitors. Uhhhh........wait........uhhhh..... And injuries? EVERYONE has injuries. Look at Geno - he's had as many as Kellie and he still has his team in the top 7. Uhhhh.........Uhhhh........wait. Uh - never mind. Gosh, thinking through things thoroughly is hard........

Elvee/Darth, is the classic goal post mover. The LVs are winning but not in a way that sufficiently counts as a win or something like that. If the LVs were to win the NC, it will have been an off year for WCBB and therefore, demands an asterisk . it is an easy game to play. Jesus only walked across the water because he couldn't run and so on.

Last edited:
Contend for the conference championship? She's doing that right now, tied with SC for the top. Long way to go but........
If we stumble down the stretch, I definitely won't consider that "contending." Long way to go, indeed—that's why I said "if."

And an elite eight? Well, she's ranked among the top eight right now, so there you go. She has some very tough games coming up at Fla, at UConn, at SC, and LSU here. If she loses all of those she finishes 23-6 in her third year with the tournaments left to play. That, Redbird, would be a terrific accomplishment. If she wins two or three of those she'll be coach of the year.
Last I checked, the Elite Eight is an advanced stage of the NCAAT and not a snapshot of rankings during the regular season. When the team punches their ticket to the real Elite Eight, we can check this box. Until then, you're dealing in hopeful hypotheticals. If, if, if.

I have to chuckle when you minimize the condition of the LV program when Kellie took over as not like the "Dawn Staley situation....moribund,,,,etc". It took Stalely 7 years to get to the EE or beyond. None of those years was a covid year when recruiting and development of players came to a halt. The LV program WAS moribund when Kellie took over, with recruits bailing out and the morale in the gutter. She suffered a covid shutdown in her first year (no tournaments) and interruptions and recruiting bans her second year. That has hurt her player development and recruiting in so many ways. So I think your expectation of an EE in her third year is unrealistic. I would be thrilled with a SS, but don't expect it.
I think the consistent losing across all sports has forced too many of us to rationalize and/or accept results that aren't very impressive. Aspiration seems to be a thing of the past.

Kellie's doing a pretty good job, but I haven't seen concrete evidence that she's the one. Does that mean we should count her out? Nah, but some of you are pretty quick to make excuses and dole out praise.

If we stumble down the stretch, I definitely won't consider that "contending." Long way to go, indeed—that's why I said "if."

Last I checked, the Elite Eight is an advanced stage of the NCAAT and not a snapshot of rankings during the regular season. When the team punches their ticket to the real Elite Eight, we can check this box. Until then, you're dealing in hopeful hypotheticals. If, if, if.

I think the consistent losing across all sports has forced too many of us to rationalize and/or accept results that aren't very impressive. Aspiration seems to be a thing of the past.

Kellie's doing a pretty good job, but I haven't seen concrete evidence that she's the one. Does that mean we should count her out? Nah, but some of you are pretty quick to make excuses and dole out praise.

I agree it's too soon to annoit her as the One. And I've said that many times here. But to expect an EE in her third year in the context she has been operating is unrealistic. To equate that posture with making excuses and having a lack of aspiration is out of the bounds of reality, IMHO. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I agree it's too soon to annoit her as the One. And I've said that many times here. But to expect an EE in her third year in the context she has been operating is unrealistic. To equate that posture with making excuses and having a lack of aspiration is out of the bounds of reality, IMHO. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Am I reading, then, that you think this team—despite being ranked in the top eight—is a paper tiger? If you're confident in what Kellie is doing with the #7 team, it seems odd that you want me to tap the brakes.

Like I said, we can continue finding all the reasons why success is some kind of seven-year process (giving me Butch PTSD already), but I hope y'all are ready to continue seeing our SEC foes win championships while we chant "hope springs eternal" to one another.

Am I reading, then, that you think this team—despite being ranked in the top eight—is a paper tiger? If you're confident in what Kellie is doing with the #7 team, it seems odd that you want me to tap the brakes.

Like I said, we can continue finding all the reasons why success is some kind of seven-year process (giving me Butch PTSD already), but I hope y'all are ready to continue seeing our SEC foes win championships while we chant "hope springs eternal" to one another.

It seems like you didn’t follow the program during the Holly years? Anyone who watched all those games can see the obvious improvement.

It's been two years and a day,,,Rome is right on schedule

It seems like you didn’t follow the program during the Holly years? Anyone who watched all those games can see the obvious improvement.

That's what I been tellin ya'll
spanky-telephone.gif

Like I said, we can continue finding all the reasons why success is some kind of seven-year process (giving me Butch PTSD already), but I hope y'all are ready to continue seeing our SEC foes win

championships while we chant "hope springs eternal" to one another.
So you think I should be as confident of a third year rebuild program to make the EE as long-established Stanford, Conn, SC, Louisville, NC St, Michigan, Arizona, Baylor, Texas, Notre Dame, etc? That's silly, there's lots of basketball to play yet.

As to it shouldn't have to take seven years to reach the top, you're the one who bought up Staley, for whom it took seven years.

Reactions: Rickster
So you think I should be as confident of a third year rebuild program to make the EE as long-established Stanford, Conn, SC, Louisville, NC St, Michigan, Arizona, Baylor, Texas, Notre Dame, etc? That's silly, there's lots of basketball to play yet.
Okay, so, long story short, you think the Elite Eight is an unfair goal for the #7 team in the country. Where's the faith? And since you're writing the rules, at what point can we say that ranking should lead to real accomplishments?

As to it shouldn't have to take seven years to reach the top, you're the one who bought up Staley, for whom it took seven years.
Oh yeah, she and Kellie definitely took over comparable programs.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
I think you quoted the wrong person, because I never said the team hasn't improved since Holly was let go. I mean, it would be hard not to improve.

Or maybe you put words in my mouth because it's easier to argue that way.

I think you quoted the wrong person, because I never said the team hasn't improved since Holly was let go. I mean, it would be hard not to improve.

Or maybe you put words in my mouth because it's easier to argue that way.

Nope. I asked you a direct question and you didn’t answer it. Which pretty much answered my question anyhow. You’re the one who showed up and started arguing with everyone suddenly.

Those of us who supported the team through all the Holly mess, and watched everyone of those ugly games, do not appreciate the drive by bullies like you. Projecting doom and gloom just in hopes you’ll look right in the end is low key immature and high key annoying.

Maybe just be happy we have a really quality team that’s won a lot of ball games this year?

Okay, so, long story short, you think the Elite Eight is an unfair goal for the #7 team in the country. Where's the faith? And since you're writing the rules, at what point can we say that ranking should lead to real accomplishments?

Oh yeah, she and Kellie definitely took over comparable programs.

I didn't say EE isn't a fair goal. It is fair to set your goals high, even if to something that seems out of reach. I said it's unrealistic to expect it in Harper's third year. Goals set by the team and for the team are one thing, but the fans having realistic expectations is another. I want them to get to the FF this year, I think they might have what it takes. And I think that should be their goal. But I don't expect it of them. Not this year with the lineup they have. There's a difference.

We are ranked 7 now, but the season isn't over. We have many tough games left, beginning with the one tonight. These rankings are not predictions of where the teams will end up in the national tournament. They are estimates of relative strength base on their body of work so far. It isn't inconsistent to think it unrealistic that a club in their third rebuilding year should be expected make the EE even even though the team is ranked 7 mid to late season.

Let's quit quibbling here and cut to the chase: What are your expectations of Kellie Harper? A natty every year? A FF every year? How long til she should get to the FF? EE?, etc.

Nope. I asked you a direct question and you didn’t answer it. Which pretty much answered my question anyhow. You’re the one who showed up and started arguing with everyone suddenly.

Those of us who supported the team through all the Holly mess, and watched everyone of those ugly games, do not appreciate the drive by bullies like you. Projecting doom and gloom just in hopes you’ll look right in the end is low key immature and high key annoying.

Maybe just be happy we have a really quality team that’s won a lot of ball games this year?

Should we be thankful that is his way of rallying behind the team? Really low-class trolling on a thread meant to support the team.

VN Store

Back