The Offical Jim Chaney Thread

I'd say our defense is pretty freaking good, actually. With an offense who could sustain any sort of time of possession, they'd be perfectly fine.

This team has 'elite recruits' at nearly every position on offense, and while they ARE young, Chaney seems absolutely lost on how to best gameplan to use them. Even if you have to cut the playbook to 20 plays, you do it, and you just kick *ss on those 20 plays.

Chaney is not the pro-style, multiple offense answer. He's 1998 Purdue with an extra wrinkle or two. Not going to cut it.

I'm not saying your completely wrong, but I still think that Channey knows a lot more than is showing up on the field. We have top notch players, but again comes the young arguement. I mean look what a difference a year made for hunter bray and rodgers. His offense can and will put points up on the board, especially once he can instill some more confidence in the players. They have got to be understandably down right now, and I think that also plays part in a lot of the problems.

Reactions: 1 person
At the time, it wasn't a given that Worley was going to throw a pick. Why wouldn't you try to get a TD when you are five yards away?

Did you watch the first half ? Not sure Chaney did either...

I was praying for the infamous Chaney draw play

I've been waiting on this thread to pop up. I think Chaney called a pretty darn good game, honestly. Tried to give his completely inexperienced QB some easy throws and stuck to the running game to try and help him out. Chaney is great, but he has very few weapons at his disposal right now and is doing one heck of a job with what he's got.

Back off, we'll be just fine.

I've been waiting on this thread to pop up. I think Chaney called a pretty darn good game, honestly. Tried to give his completely inexperienced QB some easy throws and stuck to the running game to try and help him out. Chaney is great, but he has very few weapons at his disposal right now and is doing one heck of a job with what he's got.

Could not disagree more, but he'll get another season because he hasn't had a full arsenal, unfortunately.

Easy throws would have been bubble screens, slants, and short curls. The throws they had him making were anything but easy throws. I know on a couple of the throws the reciever didn't help him much either.

Chaney is a good OC but he's not great. He only knows his system. The adjustment he can make is fewer plays of the same system. As a result, if he doesn't have the pieces then his offense sucks.

To see a great OC, fans needed to look at the opposing sideline Saturday night. Spurrier has been a spread/fun & gun play caller his whole life. Yet he took his freshman qb & 5th string rb and ran the option in the second half cause thats what worked.

Chaney is good at developing players and game planning but he's not innovative and has a hard time adjusting when something isn't working. Thats why Kiff called the plays when he was here. Thats why we can't pull an upset. I like Chaney but I think Dooley should make a change. Jmo.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Down near the goalline I would liked to have seen the playaction, Worley roll to the right and hit Fugate in the flat. I see that play work every weekend

Fugate hasn't seen action from the line of scrimmage in two weeks. If he's not back soon, he'll not be in orange next year. Too many other schools want him at tailback.

This is the SEC. Its big time football. You win by being more physical than the other team. Chaney has always been a pure quarterback system offense. If the quarterback is playing great, it works, if not, oh well. That is where we are at, we coach the offensive line to pass block and they do a good job at that. We don't run block because we don't intend on running the ball so we just go through the motions in practice. Every high school lineman knows how to run block, where they have to adapt is in the pass blocking. Why we can't run block- we don't emphasize it in practice and the games.

We are not playing physical football on Offense, Period!!! I love my Vols but this is getting hard to watch. We can't blame Fulmer anymore, either. There has been three recruiting classes since Fulmer left, 75 recruits out of eighty five limit. We have not recruited a SEC Caliber Running back in three years? Toney Williams was asked to leave the team by Dooley also. He was the most physical running back we had. The present coaching staff only go after small scat backs to fit Chaney's draw running game.

Hint to the coaches!!! Put Fugate in at tailback. Pound the rock all day long against MTSU. Refuse to throw the ball. Put all the pressure on the guys up front to get off their lazy a**es and blow up on somebody. Running the football wins games. Look at what the old ball coach did to us last week. He never has seen a running play he likes but he knew with a freshman quarterback and a freshman running back he had to run the ball and did it over and over for 20 plays and 98 yards to win the game. Did it not demoralize our team? That is how it is done. Futhermore, I am tired of my coach making excuses. Coach Dooley, all you are doing is giving your players an out. Quit making excuses, coach some football.
Coach Majors use to say, "If if's and but's were candy and nuts we all would have a Merry Christmas". Otherwise, shut the hell up and play football.

Reactions: 1 person
I have to preface this by saying I understand that replacing any of our top coaches (and by that I mean HC, DC, OC) would be extremely detrimental to our program, so I am not calling for any heads to roll. Having said that Chaney needs to get his s*** together! Our play calling this year has been atrocious! If I know what play were going to run based on our formation, you better believe opposing defenses know. You only need to look at our first possession of the game. Run, run, 3rd and long. I am a huge believer that the run game is important in winning football games, but with a true freshman QB starting his first game, what else do you think their defense was expecting to start the game? If he had stuck with that game plan the entire game, I wouldn't have been happy but I could have understood the "Trent Dilfer" theory of not letting the QB lose the game, but he didn't!

The interception after the PW int is ALL on Chaney! You do not put that QB in a position to throw that route. As soon as DR started his motion on that play I was hoping for a knockdown because I knew that play wasn't going to work. As far as the rest of the game, JW performed his best in a spread out formation because iirc that's what he ran in high school. So guess what, you look at your playbook and pick the plays that best suit his comfortability! You spend all week making sure he practices plays that best suit that! In no way am I saying that JW was going to have a huge game, but the play calling made absolutely sure it didn't happen!

Lights come on tonight - don't want to hear any excuses about OL, RB, injuries, suspensions, transfers, etc. CJC's play calling must be improved.

Jeez! Thanks for dragging out this ugly ass thread!

Gonna grease the steps at the old folks home later??? :banghead2::banghead2:

VN Store

Back