The Offical Jim Chaney Thread

realstically when you have the ball at the 5 yard line you need to score a TD...
we're just not that good that we can let opportunities like that slip by

This.

It was a game of missed, and blown opportunities. We had the chance(s) to score...and didn't. Why?

Two reasons come to mind: (1) Justin Worley was a true freshman QB playing in his first college game against a tough SEC defense. That's one, two, and three strikes you're out. The only way he was going to succeed was with a running game to lean on, and short, quick passes to the backs and receivers. He had neither, and in hindsight, the result was predictable. And (2), 35 yards rushing. UT simply cannot run the football. Period.

I could add (3) questionable play-calling, and probably should, but with no running game and a freshman QB starting his first game, what play call is considered appropriate in any situation?

UT reminds me of the Colts minus Manning. We hung our hat on Tyler Bray (and the receivers); with Bray out, we have no running game to help the other QB's move the ball. Recipe for disaster.

It's probably too late to find a running game this season, but one hopes that Dooley and Chaney have learned their lesson, and will place the proper emphasis on developing a strong running game for next year, and the years' beyond. Or they won't be here.

In the end, this is now likely a 5-7 team. Losses such as the ones against UGA and USCe have a way of sapping energy and will from a team, and UT is starting to show that wear. Absent a signature win, this team may fade down the stretch, which makes a loss to UK and/or Vandy all the more likely.

Tough to watch, but a Vol fan I remain.....

Go Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
and as far as Chaney. Not a fan at all and I've stated my reasons over and over and over so I want do it again here.

Thank god I was getting tired of skipping past all of your BS post. I guess putting you on my ignore list would be better but it's so full of you bandwagon fans I don't think it can hold anymore.

this is where all jim chaney complaints should be placed. one thing i don't like is chaney calls the same bleeping run plays over and over it's like Nintendo when one run works everytime. he is an idiot when it comes to running the ball. if you don't believe me go back to when he was at purdue and see how much of a running game they had. as far as the 2nd down pass play from the 3 yard line i thought neal or whoever it was quit on their route way too soon.GO VOLS!!

I was at the game. I noticed that especially in the second half The SC OL was totally zone blocking and the RB was able to actually keep his head up running foward and pick his hole of cousre it helped that their OL got forward movement. Our running game was man blocking RB put your head down andbhopebthe hole opens up.

Excellent post very informative, however since it was only your 21st post ever one thing is obvious. Your young, lack experience and besides that your not very talented. Hell it's even possible you have some kind of injury.

CDD

#eyeseeit

I was all for keeping CJC around when you know who bolted. I thought it was the only way to somewhat have stability on this young team. But now, into his 3rd year with this VERY predictable offense, it is time to find a REAL OC! I wouldnt even mind a young, upcoming person at this point. It CANT be no worse. Did anybody hear of CJC before Drew Brees? Did he do ANYTHING after Drew Brees? To make a long story short, CJC is NOT cuttin it, PERIOD! Its time to move on.
That is all.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
I was all for keeping CJC around when you know who bolted. I thought it was the only way to somewhat have stability on this young team. But now, into his 3rd year with this VERY predictable offense, it is time to find a REAL OC! I wouldnt even mind a young, upcoming person at this point. It CANT be no worse. Did anybody hear of CJC before Drew Brees? Did he do ANYTHING after Drew Brees? To make a long story short, CJC is NOT cuttin it, PERIOD! Its time to move on.
That is all.

:clapping::salute::eek:k:

I'm not the biggest fan of yesterday either.....however let me point out how much better CJC looks with Bray and Hunter in the game than with "I couldn't check down if it saved my life" Simms or an 18 year old kid fresh out of high school playing QB.

WE CANNOT RUN THE BALL.....UNTIL WE CAN, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO THE OC IS.

I don't understand why we don't run the football with a lead blocker inside the 5 yard line!!! Wagner got a game changing int; he's to dumb to keep running and fall forward when he gets hit at the 2 yard line-instead he tries to juke and stops; then is tackled at the 2. Chaney calls a run play inside the 2 yard line WITHOUT A LEAD BLOCKER and Pool barley gets the hand off!! I've never understood why we don't run with a lead blocker more. Our FBs are bad@ss. Very physical. If you watch some of our run plays this year there is a BIG difference in us running with a FB lead blocking!!! However i think Chaney is a good offensive coordinator still. he is great with the QBs and the passing game. I think they need to change a few things starting with the Oline coach, DB coach, and get a D*** RB coach!! its killing us. Our running game was suppose to be a lot better this year than last season. But thats the coaching pattern of Harry Heistand. Look back at his first season at the Bears; then look ahead to when he left. The bears oline is still hurting from that guy!! They are a little better now that he's been gone a while. But his last few seasons with the bears and the season after his departure, the oline was the WORST oline in the nfl.

Just want to share my thoughts on Chaney..

He's going to end up costing Dooley his job if something doesn't change. It's been obvious to me since Bray got hurt that our most successful plays have been when we get our RBs involved in the passing game. Where was that last night? Why did we not get DY involved in the passing game in order to manufacture some offense? As soon as he knew we weren't going to be able to run the ball, Chaney should have adjusted. He didn't and it cost us the game. Spurrier did and it won them the game. The 1st and goal from the 3... that is a must score situation and the best we have is a hb dive that had been getting stuffed all night? Then we ask a true freshman QB that has been forcing throws all night to complete a pass from inside the 5 to the middle of the field where defenders are going to be everywhere. I don't get it. Did we run a toss sweep all night? Did we throw a swing pass? How about a screen? I just can't believe that in that situation we didn't have anything better than that. And it wasn't just last night.. We've scored 1 TD in our last 4 games. I don't care bad your QB is or how good the defenses are. That is UNACCEPTABLE

Reactions: 3 people
WE CANNOT RUN THE BALL.....UNTIL WE CAN, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO THE OC IS.

THEN STOP CALLING RUN PLAYS ON EVERY 1ST DOWN. Good OCs make something happen when things aren't going well and you saw it last night. Spurrier's gameplan wasn't working so he switched over to he zone read because it gave his team the best chance to gain yards. You can't tell me our best chance to gain yards on every first down is a run up the middle.

THEN STOP CALLING RUN PLAYS ON EVERY 1ST DOWN. Good OCs make something happen when things aren't going well and you saw it last night. Spurrier's gameplan wasn't working so he switched over to he zone read because it gave his team the best chance to gain yards. You can't tell me our best chance to gain yards on every first down is a run up the middle.

Apparently you weren't privy to the Johnny Majors era. Trust me, we didn't come close to that yesterday.

Can't run the ball in this league....1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th down.....you aren't going to win many games. Plain and simple. Play calling sure was poor....but not being able to rip off some great runs KILLS an offense.

The play that sticks out the most to me is 2nd goal from the 5 (after P Wag's int) and you line up in 4 wide's with a freshman qb and throw the dang ball, and of course we get intercepted. Even though our running game is not good, I feel that is a situation where you have to try to grind it out for the td.

Agree 100%, I cringed when i saw the formation. I was hoping we were going to hand it off to the pass protector on the left side of Worley. You have to come away with points after that MO swing.

t one thing i don't like is chaney calls the same bleeping run plays over and over GO VOLS!!

It isn't just Chaney. For years the Vols have been running that play where the back runs into a pile of the opposite team's players. It never works. They should remove that play from the playbooks.

Chaney is the sorriest excuse for an Off Cord. I have seen in a long time. He, if not let go at the end of this year, will cost Dooley his job. He is way outdated !!!!

The only running plays Chaney knows is off tackle right and off tackle left. Get a life Chaney and start playing Monopoly or something.

Chaney is horrible and has to go. He still gets jobs because of drew brees. News flash guys like brees don't come around often. Dave clawson could have been OC of Brees and Brees still would have broke passing records. Look at Auburn not much to work with this year but OC still working his magic.
Chaney, hinshaw, Joseph, Hinestad have got to go.

My problem is this.

3rd and long (12+)

Draw play. This'll totally catch them off guard--

Tackle for loss.

Oops. Punt.

Yes, because if it's 3rd and 12, we need to put it on the shoulders of our proven leader at quarterback to make the play when the defense knows we're passing. Great point, man.

186 yds total offense, 35 yds rushing.
That was about as bad of an offensive performance as I can remember.

Thank god I was getting tired of skipping past all of your BS post. I guess putting you on my ignore list would be better but it's so full of you bandwagon fans I don't think it can hold anymore.

A bandwagon fan? WTF are you talking about? You obviously are talking out your azz calling me a bandwagon fan. So STFU

Oh I see what it is now. Your butt hurt because I mocked you for your post saying you liked Dooley because he brought class and demanded "excellents" from his coaches and players. So your bandwagon comment was a retaliation post. Stay classy my friend.

VN Store

Back