The Numbers Thread

What is the penalty for oversigning? I think any of the 5 players we're after could be worth it. Out of Kongbo, Brown, Warrior,Byrd, Dickerson I want 1.)Warrior 2.)Byrd 3.)Brown 4.)Kongbo 5.)Dickerson in order. We already have 3 OL for this class plus Stewart. I think if all 5 want in Dickerson is the odd man out. Sucks we've taken 2 projects at the OL and a now not needed juco corner but I guess that is how it goes.

Pretty sure it is a 3 scholarship penalty for the next signing class. No one is worth that.

I think he still can. If he enrolls in the summer, all it takes is for Butch and co. to ask him to pay his way until the fall. They've held his spot for a year now, I don't think that's the worst thing to ask. Or they just ask Stewart to wait to enroll until the fall. Either way, I think a blueshirt is still definitely possible for Stewart.

The staff could technically greyshirt a commit or two (Brooks?) to add more commits, but that would require telling a commit that they can't enroll until Jan '17, plus all indications have been that the staff wants as many spots as possible for next year's class.

The only other potential guy that I think this staff could blueshirt is Austin Pope. And I know LWS just said the other day that the staff visited him last week, but maybe it was just at school? Also know that Pope is scheduled to OV on the 29th, but we had guys visit last year that we thought were on OV's, but ended up blueshirting, meaning those guys paid their way to visit. Since Pope lives in Knoxville, he wouldn't necessarily need the travel expenses, etc. paid, so maybe he Unofficials, never had an exact "IN-HOME" visit, and he can blueshirt after all...

Just trying to see how the staff fits more than the 20 cap being discussed.

The 20 cap is our best educated guess. So the number isn't 20.

I was the only person (long before hubbs, hyams, Larry, etc) who said the 2014 class was 32-33 while all of them said 25.

Then I completely whiffed in 2015 when I was adamant the number was 25.

What I've learned is: it's fun to put the puzzle together but remember we have maybe 1% of the info the coaches have.

The 20 cap is our best educated guess. So the number isn't 20.

I was the only person (long before hubbs, hyams, Larry, etc) who said the 2014 class was 32-33 while all of them said 25.

Then I completely whiffed in 2015 when I was adamant the number was 25.

What I've learned is: it's fun to put the puzzle together but remember we have maybe 1% of the info the coaches have.

While this is true, we all whiffed because we didn't understand the Blue shirt rules. Now that we do, we can make a much better educated guess unless they find another loophole. The number is 21. Anything more and someone is getting some sort of shirt, likely grey.

While this is true, we all whiffed because we didn't understand the Blue shirt rules. Now that we do, we can make a much better educated guess unless they find another loophole. The number is 21. Anything more and someone is getting some sort of shirt, likely grey.

Again with the definitives when you don't know. Not trying to be a clown here but "the number is 21" is being stated as factual when there are lots of unknowns for us normal fans.

Reactions: 1 person
I really don't see why we have to count Oliver or Bruce according to the blue shirt rules. Also don't see why they couldn't count Stewart toward the 2017 class if they needed to. That would make 22 spots if you count Perry, Lovingood, and RDA IV.

I really don't see why we have to count Oliver or Bruce according to the blue shirt rules. Also don't see why they couldn't count Stewart toward the 2017 class if they needed to. That would make 22 spots if you count Perry, Lovingood, and RDA IV.

I can't imagine Abernathy counting as a graduate transfer.

Assuming Warrior is a lock, which 2 do you take between

Brown
Dickerson
Byrd
Daniels
Kongbo
Williams

That's tough. I'd lean towards Brown and Byrd or Brown and Dickerson

Again with the definitives when you don't know. Not trying to be a clown here but "the number is 21" is being stated as factual when there are lots of unknowns for us normal fans.

I see your point. The number is probably 21 with all of the information we have from the media outlets and general knowledge from following recruiting.

Assuming Warrior is a lock, which 2 do you take between

Brown
Dickerson
Byrd
Daniels
Kongbo
Williams

That's tough. I'd lean towards Brown and Byrd or Brown and Dickerson

Based on roster needs I say 2 DL. Brown & Kongbo would be my pick w/ Daniels if you miss on either. If you can fit a 4th take Dickerson & Byrd if a 5th spot is avail.

Reactions: 2 people
Per earlier discussion, I'll say we had 7 blueshirts from the 2015 class. 2 got cut, 1 didn't make it in. That leaves 21 spots. If Stewart does enroll, number is back to 20, I believe.

Joc Bruce (cut before scholarship, doesn't count towards 2016 class)
Kyle Oliver (cut before scholarship, doesn't count towards 2016 class)
Vincent Perry (publicly written articles about his BS)
Joe Young (added after NSD, no OV or In-Home)
Zach Stewart (counts towards 2016 class if enrolls before Fall '16, otherwise eligible for 2017 class)

(last two are speculation)
Riley Lovingood (no OV or In-Home)
Ralph David Abernathy (mentioned by LWS a few posts up in this thread)

Abernathy was a transfer. Not a blue shirt

Abernathy was a transfer. Not a blue shirt

JUCOs are transfers too. I'm pretty sure transfers count towards that class's 25-man limit. If there's not room, then you can have them pay their way until fall camp, and blueshirt them. Just my understanding of it.

JUCOs are transfers too. I'm pretty sure transfers count towards that class's 25-man limit. If there's not room, then you can have them pay their way until fall camp, and blueshirt them. Just my understanding of it.

He wasn't a juco. He came from Cincy.

He wasn't a juco. He came from Cincy.

I am well aware of where he played previously. It's called a graduate transfer. Also, LWS, who seems to have a pretty good handle of how these numbers work, stated a page or two back-

RD Abernathy had to be counted as one of the blue shirts also.

This would infer that RDA IV has to count towards a scholarship class as a grad transfer.

I am well aware of where he played previously. It's called a graduate transfer. Also, LWS, who seems to have a pretty good handle of how these numbers work, stated a page or two back-

This would infer that RDA IV has to count towards a scholarship class as a grad transfer.

Well, he's wrong. Transfers are not counted as part of the SEC rules. Only juco transfers are counted because they actually sign a national letter of intent.

The only players who count are those who sign a national letter of intent, or those who are given scholarships their first semester on campus.

Well, he's wrong. Transfers are not counted as part of the SEC rules. Only juco transfers are counted because they actually sign a national letter of intent.

The only players who count are those who sign a national letter of intent, or those who are given scholarships their first semester on campus.

The article on Sheriron Jones returning to UT said Colorado lost an initial counter. So I'd lean more toward transfers counting as a one of our spots.

We'll take Brown, Warrior, Dickerson, Kongbo and Byrd, if they want to come, and make the numbers work. You don't turn down elite players when you're trying to win championships.

UT doesn't disclose blueshirts, so unless a player admits that he was blueshirted, it's hard to know for sure. JUCOs and grad transfers count as initial counters within two years, so we have to account for RDAIV in 2016. This year, we're having to manage both the 25 initial counters and the 85 scholarship limit, so we'll see some roster churning. Part of the process.

You guys win. The more I read, the more it does sound like they actually count. I found a compliance publication from both TA&M and USC.

You guys win. The more I read, the more it does sound like they actually count. I found a compliance publication from both TA&M and USC.

It's all good man. We're still all just trying our best to guess where we end up in terms of numbers. I of course hope that Butch makes me look silly and signs 25+ somehow.

Every scholarship player is an initial counter either the year he signs or the next. NCAA rule. He counts against the 85 whenever he is awarded a scholarship. With small senior classes the past two years, we're having to manage both 85/25.

Every scholarship player is an initial counter either the year he signs or the next. NCAA rule. He counts against the 85 whenever he is awarded a scholarship. With small senior classes the past two years, we're having to manage both 85/25.

Surely junior and senior walkons given scholarships are exceptions

VN Store

Back