The new bammer talk about Coach Pruitt

If Pruitt gets us back to being a top 10 program, it will make it a lot easier for us to hire an equal or better replacement if he does leave. What is everybody going to think if Pruitt has the same record next year? And the next? UT should be prepared and have a list of possible replacements at all times. In today's world of college football you better be prepared or you will be left behind!

Bammers are always going to crow about who is going to take over. I would expect satan to retire in the next 3-4 seasons. By then they will likely have moved on to the next big name/success story, unless of course Pruitt is pwning CFB.
If Bama is smart they will remember it's never easy to follow a legend. Bama went through many after Bryant and then they landing Stallings. And then after Stallings left, they went through a whole slew of coaches before hitting with Saban. Nothing is a guarantee not even at Bama. They may hit right out of the box, it can happen but more times than not there is at least a slight drop initially replacing someone of his magnitude. GBO!

Reactions: onevol74
So what? He worked under Saban for a few years and no doubt he learned a lot. I would hope he did. Most people learn something from bosses.

What Bammer's are saying what? I'm sure you can find opinions of all kinds on any fan site.
What matters is that we, Tennessee, still want CJP in 3-4 years and I hope that answer is a big YES. I think he'll develop into a good HC and hopefully a great one for Tennessee. There are many examples of great coaches for teams coming from rivals like Auburn's Pat Dye who came from Georgia and Georgia's Vince Dooley who graduated from Auburn. The fact that Jeremy Pruitt comes from Alabama has NOTHING to do with how hard he'll work to succeed wherever he coaches. Maybe Pruitt will become a legend on Rocky Top and I certainly hope so.

Not this current SECOND. He’s being built up for that eventual purpose imo.

Maybe, maybe not.

Although I’m completely fine with him as a position coach and recruiter.

I just don’t think he’s meant to handle full responsibility as a HC.

It’s not for everyone.

If, indeed, Saban leaves in a couple of years and Pruitt gets the Vols to the SECC, Pruitt may take the nostalgia route back to his alma mater, but I would suggest that he should stay and take pride in a team that he built, a team that was truly his, not someone elses.

If Pruitt in good enough position to get serious look from Bama, then we'll be in a pretty good position also. They won't hire someone with average results. If Dabo out, to me, you need someone with an arrogant/cocky demeanor which can roll with the punches, and a good coach. Don't think it's coincidence that Kiffin is off doing his thing as head coach again. I think he'd be the guy.
Better hurry......if Gus doesn't improve Auburn will get 1st shot at Joey.

Some folks make way to big a deal about Pruitt coaching at bama. Coaches don't always follow where they went to school. Many coaches played at a different place than they now coach and made a new home. Pruitt has also been other places, heck he even played some college at Middle Tennessee. If and when Pruitt turns it around here, I don't see him automatically jumping to bama even if he was offered. Why would he leave a power 5 school he brought back to the top, just to go back to Bama? Maybe, maybe not. But it's a mute point right now, so I am out of this discussion. We got games to win and championships to win. GBO!

When Pruitt builds this up he is not going anywhere. He can win at Tennessee as much as at Alabama. He has everything here at UT.
This all day......
Look at it this way, would YOU remain at a school where you will be compared to Butch Jones or take a chance by going to a school where you would be measured against Nick Saban? Any established coach with ANY degree of sucess would be crazy to step into the void left by Saban. Look at the successors who had to try and feel the shoes of Bryant. It took over a decade for them to finally find someone in Stallings that they weren't ready to run. out of town on a rail. And then it was another decade plus before they found Saban. Succeding a legend is work for either the masocist or the idiot IMHO

Reactions: onevol74
When Pruitt builds this up he is not going anywhere. He can win at Tennessee as much as at Alabama. He has everything here at UT.

If Pruitt builds this up to the point bama wants him, he’ll crawl to that shithole state. He’s bamer thru and thru. But Tennessee will be at a point that more successful coaches than him will consider it. Last 4 times Tenneseee has been looking, it’s been a bad situation.

Reactions: njvols
Pruitt only successful cause Saban disciple
Pruitt is next bama coach

Come on you idiots.
Great job Coach Pruitt.

Dabo has taken an average program and made them elite in 4 season's. Now in his 8th season at Clemson, they are still rocking
Dabo is a Bama alum and football player

Dani = proven performance
Pruitt = Much less proven performance

Who is going to want to follow up Saban? Seriously, that would be career suicide
Two words.
Ray
Perkins

Bama is on the backside of the Saban era and it will be very difficult for them when they have to make that change. Nothing worse than a spoiled fan base. I think it was Spurrier who said that you should not coach a program for more than 10 years.

Maybe, maybe not.

Although I’m completely fine with him as a position coach and recruiter.

I just don’t think he’s meant to handle full responsibility as a HC.

It’s not for everyone.
No...but Fulmer prolly felt bad not being able to even credibly interview him for the HC opportunity...especially this one. Now he’s going to be immersed in this experience as an associate HC, privy to the inner workings...basically groomed imo. At USC, extra titles were thrown at him in an effort to keep him but Helton understandably had no interest in advancing him at UT. Fulmer has to be looking for that fallback in case Pruitt isn’t in Knoxville for the long haul...all realistic AD’s worth their salt should. And right under the surface the best choice for a man who loves his alma mater is someone just like him...if qualified.

Dabo has not just built an elite program, he has built a culture. He knows what Bama and their fans are all about, he played there. He can compete and win Natty's where he's at. Anyone who follows Saban will not be credited with the success they achieve but will be saddled with all the blame for any drop off. There is little upside to follow Saban from a respect perspective IMO.

YOU ARE BEYOND CLUELESS!!! Clemson is 55-4 the last four years with two National Championships and two other playoff appearances where they lost to Bama that won the National Championship. If that isn't ELITE, the definition of the word needs to be changed!!! Dabo and Clemson ARE ELITE!!!

EDIT, I misread your post, my apologies. That is what I get for coming on the board late at night after several alcoholic beverages. I left out the word JUST in my mind for some reason. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNExile
If Bama wants Pruitt, 2 things are an absolute certainly:

1) Tennessee has been successful enough that we are all ecstatic

2) Pruitt’s going to Bama

VN Store

Back