The most heartbreaking Tennessee Football loss according to you?

An underrated answer is 1999 Arkansas. Vols were #2 in the BCS and could have played for back to back titles. That FSU team was much more beatable than 2001 Miami. I remember thinking at the time that the two teams in the Fiesta Bowl were better than the two teams in the championship game.

2001 SEC Championship loss to LSU. A win and we play for the NC.

The '99 loss to Florida is a close second because I was in the swamp that night, with my dad. UT scored late and Deon Grant had a great interception to give the Vols a chance, down by two. The Gators stopped Jamal Lewis on 4th down as they were outside of FG range and sealed the victory.
Stupid ass toss sweep on 4th down. We should’ve won that game. Still can’t figure out why we decided to block Alex Brown 1 on 1 most of the night either.

Reactions: kbear01
Throwing shade? I included that game as one of the most crushing losses in UF history, I called it one of the greatest games I’ve seen UT play, I complimented UT’s talent on that team, I said it was a great game and I’m saying now it was well-deserved and earned by Tennessee. That’s throwing shade?

Someone came along and said it would have been a blowout if not for Witten having fumbles. That’s a weird take on a great UT win. Let the game stand without all the “ifs, ands, and buts,” because both sides can claim that. For every Witten drop, there was an equal screw up on the other side, from a Grossman pick to a couple costly missed tackles by Gus Scott. UT won, fair and square, no sense in revising the game with hypotheticals.
A funny thing about the Tennessee and Florida games back then, was Alex Brown. He completely dominated the '99 game as a sophomore. It was a wrecking crew performance... one of the best I've ever seen from a collegiate defensive player. But then he was a total non-factor in his next two games against Tennessee - especially 2001. Tennessee wasn't exactly running away from him either or doing anything special to account for him. On Travis Stephens 35 yard TD run, Brown is pretty clearly blown off the line of scrimmage (by Reggie Coleman, I think) and taken completely out of the play.

Reactions: Jaws
Can I go with the whole 2015 season? That team was really good, but to get kicked in the nuts every loss was terrible.

-Oklahoma 2OT, Dobbs throws a pick
-Florida, 4th and 14
-Arkansas, return the opening kick for a TD and then no show the rest of the game.
-Bama, Dobbs strip sacked on final drive
(And to make matters worse, I saw all in person)

But as far as worst losses, Pruitt had both.
GA State and Kentucky. To get blown out at home by Kentucky was when I wanted him GONE.

1998 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska

I was therre. Peyton's last game. If we won, we would have been national champs.

Nebraska stomped us into the turf. Peyton was out by halftime and the other QBs mopped up.

So close............................

1990 Tenn 6 Tide 9. Vols had kicked the $hit out of little Steve and the Gators the week before 45-3.
That one is the worst. Tennessee was getting ready to kick field goal that would put them ahead 9-6 Bama blocks it and the ball goes about 30 yds the other way then Bama kicks field goal to win.

I swatted my beer against the wall. My wife was SOOOOO MAD at me !!!!

View attachment 363555
i legit cried after this. A grown man had tears in his eyes over a dang football loss lol. It had felt like an eternity of bad football, and we were finally about to turn the corner before that happened. Turned out I didn’t know what an eternity of bad football felt like...because 7-8 years later, and we’re even worse than we were then.

Reactions: MadWorld
#5- 1999 Ark. Had won 28 of our previous 30 regular season games and still had a shot at a natty. Still remember losing all hope for the season after the failed 4th down.

#4- 2001 LSU. Made the list on what was at stake alone. Still Remember Casey saying we are going to the Rose Bowl.

#3- 2009 Ala. Mount Cody enough said

#2- 1997 Neb. Watching Peyton get beat down in the orange bowl was tough to watch and i think i was more angry then heartbroken

#1- 2016 Texas A&M. Very under the radar loss but I believe it to be the straw that broke the camel's back. We struggled for nearly a decade until that point. Had beaten UGA & Fla in the same season for the 1st time in forever. Had an undefeated record with one of our most talented teams in a decade. Ranked in the top 10 with all eyes on Bama the next week. This was the peak of our misery mountain over the last 15yrs. 5-6 turnovers later and we end up with an OT loss. Botch never recovered and neither have we

Reactions: ENGRVOL
#5- 1999 Ark. Had won 28 of our previous 30 regular season games and still had a shot at a natty. Still remember losing all hope for the season after the failed 4th down.

#4- 2001 LSU. Made the list on what was at stake alone. Still Remember Casey saying we are going to the Rose Bowl.

#3- 2009 Ala. Mount Cody enough said

#2- 1997 Neb. Watching Peyton get beat down in the orange bowl was tough to watch and i think i was more angry then heartbroken

#1- 2016 Texas A&M. Very under the radar loss but I believe it to be the straw that broke the camel's back. We struggled for nearly a decade until that point. Had beaten UGA & Fla in the same season for the 1st time in forever. Had an undefeated record with one of our most talented teams in a decade. Ranked in the top 10 with all eyes on Bama the next week. This was the peak of our misery mountain over the last 15yrs. 5-6 turnovers later and we end up with an OT loss. Botch never recovered and neither have we
Butch not going for two to win showed he was a candy-ass. Our defense was gassed and couldn’t stop a&m in the O.T. This and kicking a FG instead going for the TD against Okla. was the straw that broke my back on Jones. No heart.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Stupid ass toss sweep on 4th down. We should’ve won that game. Still can’t figure out why we decided to block Alex Brown 1 on 1 most of the night either.
And Alex got away with an intentional blow to the head, on Tee, on third down, that sat him out for a few. Should've been a 15 yd penalty, and a first down.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Witten had a terrible game. Gave UF two huge TOs in the first half after Tenn jumped up 14 -0 I’m not sure that game would have been close if he’d played better

UF got gifted a couple calls, one in particular being a Grossman fumbled that was ruled an incomplete pass when we were trying to dig ourselves out of a 14-point hole.

UT was the better team that night in spite of Witten having a bad game. Travis Stephens more than picked up the slack.

Last edited:
i legit cried after this. A grown man had tears in his eyes over a dang football loss lol. It had felt like an eternity of bad football, and we were finally about to turn the corner before that happened. Turned out I didn’t know what an eternity of bad football felt like...because 7-8 years later, and we’re even worse than we were then.

Exactly. It was like a huge gut punch. One that never seems to stop.

2001 SECCG if we win, we play for another national championship. Instead we lose 31 - 20 to an LSU team that I honestly didn’t know any player on that team.

Our most heartbreaking loss without a doubt was David Cutcliffe. He was the offensive brain and disciplinarian of the program, and both of those areas started a slow decline when he left for the Ole Miss HC job. Most painful loss in the history of UT football IMO.

Reactions: kbear01
90% of the games with Jarrett Guarantano. It was the first time in my Vol fan career where I just started not finishing watching the games. It was too frustrating watching Cornbread keep putting back out there after stupid plays. So glad that era is gone.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back