The most disappointing game that I can remember.

Players didnt want it. DV and others said it. Auburn looked and played like they wanted more. All the TOs, terrible defense and missed shots werent on Barnes.
You have to wonder why they would come out and play so uninspired? It really boggles my mind with upper class leaders all over the place how in the world do you not show up for the championship game? I just don’t get it.

What's most disappointing to me is that this team has been in critical positions before and failed. And each time I say it's a learning experience, that we'll learn from it and get better. At this point, in a critical game against a comparable or inferior opponent, we should win or at the very least be competitive. And we lay an egg like this? Extremely disappointing. My hope is that this one was it. And over the next few weeks we play with 100% intensity and focus.

Reactions: SmokeyLives
Yeah I forgot that Barnes is a first year HC. Oh wait. Look this loss was 100% on the players and nothing else. They failed Barnes. Simple as that. They got beat by the better team today. I think if this team plays to its potential game after game, then they could make it to the final 4. But the players will have to show up and dotheir job.
Well the players do play at UT so...

You have to wonder why they would come out and play so uninspired? It really boggles my mind with upper class leaders all over the place how in the world do you not show up for the championship game? I just don’t get it.
It's been a long time since I've seen a Tennessee mens basketball team team come out so uninspired. This ranks right up there in my opinion with the 2001 NCAA Tournament 70-63 loss to UNC-Charlotte as far as being disappointing to me.

Very disappointing and ill agree 100% we were out hustled and out played. However there is some credence to 1) MSU game was a late starter. 2) Kentucky game was exhausting, both physically and emotionally, and 3) a noon tip. Way less than a 24 hour turnaround.

Plus Bruce Pearl had his guys loose and rested. Give Auburn credit- they had one more SECT game . Also gotta wonder if LSU didn’t tank early, what would that side of the bracket been like?

And it’s on the players. They came out careless, unenergetic, and uninspired. You don’t need a coach firing you up to understand the ramifications of this game.

What a shame, too, because it had all the makings of a game that would go down in Tennessee lore. It appeared to be all in the cards: in Nashville, off a monster comeback, with a veteran team which has been our best team in memory, in a conference championship revenge game.

Some of you will cry “Negavol” or make excuses like “matchup” or “tired” or “Barnes/Pearl” or whatnot, but let’s call a spade a spade.

This sucked. Now let’s move on. Go Vols.
Best post all day. Hands down

looked like Bruce had his team jacked up. it's all they're talking about on TV. Barnes is good at taking five or six years to assemble some decent guys that other people recruited over and coaching them to play as a team over several seasons. Pearl has a different way of doing things. Let the trophies do the talking.

Pearl had a habit of squandering tournies too. Today was his day unfortunately.

After beating Kentucky, our guys just didn't have it today....So many missed shots that are usually made....Bad omen.

Guys get mad when I say this...but its once again hitting the dreaded...but sadly expected "Barnes Wall". Not saying he needs to be replaced....but we always hit that Barnes Wall at some point.

And it’s on the players. They came out careless, unenergetic, and uninspired. You don’t need a coach firing you up to understand the ramifications of this game.

What a shame, too, because it had all the makings of a game that would go down in Tennessee lore. It appeared to be all in the cards: in Nashville, off a monster comeback, with a veteran team which has been our best team in memory, in a conference championship revenge game.

Some of you will cry “Negavol” or make excuses like “matchup” or “tired” or “Barnes/Pearl” or whatnot, but let’s call a spade a spade.

This sucked. Now let’s move on. Go Vols.
Can’t move on now. “Sucked” as u say

I understand what you’re saying, but this is the most talented team in modern Tennessee basketball history. And it’s not really close, frankly. I admit they have deminished that status by failing to win anything of substance, but to say any previous teams were as talented as this one simply isn’t accurate.

After beating Kentucky, our guys just didn't have it today....So many missed shots that are usually made....Bad omen.

We can point to several legitimate reasons why the team performed the way they did.

We must give Auburn some credit...yes, they've looked just above average most of the year but they've been good down the stretch. It pains me to say they put in on Tennessee today and it was very disappointing.

I will say this game makes me more likely to win the NCAA pool because I won't be wearing orange tinted glasses. I think UK lasts the longest in the SEC like their fans expect and Duke wins the whole thing with a healthy Zion.

Tennessee played an extremely emotional game yesterday. The kentucky game was looked at as the target since the notion we could be playing them again was realized. That with auburn playing lights out and we were in for a bad day. Aub was nailing 3's and suffocating on defense. Honestly i was very suprised they weren't called for more fouls playing that aggressivly on defense.

I’m really baffled by today. Disappointed of course, but perplexed.

Logic tells us on paper that we shouldn’t be overly surprised by the loss. The concern going in was that we would be emotionally spent because yesterday was really approached as the “championship game.” But the very strength of this team (strength, toughness, pride) which we saw against UK yesterday, was not just at a deficit, it was totally non existent. We were totally spent. It was very evident in the first half on offense. No one was moving around to get open, just standing in the same positions. GW was literally walking up the court.

And it’s not like Auburn had an easy route to the final. They had some tough games, and let’s not forget, they had to play four consecutive days. Usually, that would be an advantage. Ultimately this was the price we paid by not winning out the top seed. This shows that winning out the regular season does amount to a lot as we could have reserved our energy for the big final.

It will be very interesting to see how the team reacts to this. The NCAA is as much about sustained intensity and effort as it is about any other credential. At the end of the day, this thread is very much about lamenting our woes on our therapist’s couch. Time to move ahead.

2007-2008 pearl team 31-5 sec title and #1 rank. Out in sweet sixteen. Was that the best ? No but if he had made final four probably. We need a deep run.

For me when Tennessee lost to Ohio ST when Tennessee was up by double digits, and when Tennessee lost to Mich ST in the elite 8....... the last bit of that game was horrible..... I thought it was a done deal then bam heart break.

This one sucks, mainly because of what they could have won.... the championship and a one seed.

Well at least we were up double digits in a game that mattered on time.

Very disappointing and ill agree 100% we were out hustled and out played. However there is some credence to 1) MSU game was a late starter. 2) Kentucky game was exhausting, both physically and emotionally, and 3) a noon tip. Way less than a 24 hour turnaround.

Plus Bruce Pearl had his guys loose and rested. Give Auburn credit- they had one more SECT game . Also gotta wonder if LSU didn’t tank early, what would that side of the bracket been like?
Auburn rested???? You have to be kidding. They played more games than we did.

VN Store

Back