The mental gymnastics of Butch apologists

It's time to stop talking and win the SEC. that's a start anyway. Butch is making the necessary changes to the staff. I expect positive results. GBO!!

Reactions: 1 person
True, and Jones took over 4+ years ago. UF is spinning it's wheels right now and their fans will tell you as much. UGA is in year 2 with a guy, that's in year 2 for him as a HC. It's not gonna get any easier than it is and has been..

Bama is not the obstacle UF was for winning the division. UF is the more important game while Bama historically is the biggest.

What do you mean Bama is not an obstacle! You can beat Fla. and lose to Bama ( most years over the last ten and likely off and on for the nest few) and maybe one other and still lose. As long as whole SEC record decides east winner, playing Bama every year pots you at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 2 people
He is 1-2 against him. Worth a dwarf dance. Bet he does the robot if he goes 2-0 against Smart.

If we lose to Vandy this coming season, it would not surprise me to see CBJ let go. This even if we don't lose more than one other game, which would be a tall order.

Most every point you make in isolation is true:

1. Bama is a big obstacle every year (all good teams are).
2. Bama is one of the best teams in the country in the Saban era.
3. Others in the SEC East do not play Bama most years.
4. Phil Fulmer never had to play Bama at their best (during the Bear Bryant or Nick Saban years) (though he did have to play Florida at their best, the Spurrier era).

But when you put all that together, it doesn't mean nearly as much as you think it does.

Bama is just another team. A very good team, but beatable. We just have to get to where we can beat them. Not every time, but often enough to make it a real contest each year.

We don't have to wait for Saban to die, retire, or get Alzheimer's, either. And we don't necessarily have to get a new head coach (that one is not yet determined).

We just have to get back to our winning ways. To the Tennessee football of the Neyland and Fulmer eras.

Dunno if Butch can get us there, but I haven't ruled him out yet. I guess that makes me an "apologist" because I'm not yet willing to pick up a pitchfork.

Go Vols!
I like what you say about beating Bama. However, beating Bama, Fla., and likely Ga. the same year along with those others that you should beat, makes you "world beater"(from Cool Hand Luke) let alone Sec east champ, because a record like this usually is needed to win the east when these teams are running on all cylinders.

If we lose to Vandy this coming season, it would not surprise me to see CBJ let go. This even if we don't lose more than one other game, which would be a tall order.

With Currie, nothing is off the table. And that's a good thing.

This topic has been covered pretty extensively in another thread. Bama is a huge obstacle to win the conference. Not the division. We dropped 2 games to the west last year and had the division won if we take care of the mid to lower end of the east. UF nor UGA are forcing anyone in the division to be perfect to win it. UF got rolled at Arky last year and lost 3 in a row to LSU before this year. GA got hammered by Ole Miss this year and Bama the year before.
Fulmer had a tougher route to get to Atl with the other power at the time being in his division. The winner rarely (if ever) played a better team after that game in the conference.

:thumbsup:

If you consider 9 wins including wins over Florida,Georgia,Virginia tech, and Nebraska a bad season then you might as well get used to being dissapointed. 9-4 is a pretty good season considering our top 3 defensive tackles all missed large portions of the season.

Buncha noname teams there.

I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on their resume.[/QUOTE

I was going to comment, but it seems my other posters have said it all. So, other than someone named Saban, who has lived up to your observations? anyone? anyone? the answer is obvious, You like to bit** regardless of how narrow minded your views are, reality is, you like to ignore all the variables it takes to get to the SEC Championship, injuries, suspensions etc. etc are non-reasons to people like you. Maybe you would be better off just being a Bama fan, we won't miss you.

Go Vols!!

I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on their resume.

Barbra Jones told you to shut up! :)

What do you mean Bama is not an obstacle! You can beat Fla. and lose to Bama ( most years over the last ten and likely off and on for the nest few) and maybe one other and still lose. As long as whole SEC record decides east winner, playing Bama every year pots you at a disadvantage.

Reread my post. Didn't say Bama was not an obstacle. Said they were not "the" (or most important) obstacle for winning the division.
The Bama game for the east division is no more important than other west team we are losing to. If UT falls to UF last year and then beat Bama, A&M, SC, and Vanderbilt you are still watching UF get rolled by Bama in Atl.

I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on their resume.

So, brilliant one :crazy: What is your solution?

OP thought his thread title was clever so he made this lame ass post....

cC097.gif

I like what you say about beating Bama. However, beating Bama, Fla., and likely Ga. the same year along with those others that you should beat, makes you "world beater"(from Cool Hand Luke) let alone Sec east champ, because a record like this usually is needed to win the east when these teams are running on all cylinders.

Let's get back to the days when Florida, Georgia, and Bama say that about us. Then we'll be where we need to be. :)

Until CBJ can get to Saban, Meyer level. Or even Dabo...there will always be negative opinions mixed in with positive opinions. Telling a passionate fanbase to just get over the SC and Vandy loses is laughable. Every fan on here doesn't look for excuses...some do. Im sure Cincy boards would have been thrilled with last yrs results.

All the sunshine fans just need to ignore the negative. Use that ignore button

Until CBJ can get to Saban, Meyer level. Or even Dabo...there will always be negative opinions mixed in with positive opinions....

News Flash: the NegaVols (and fake Vols here to troll) will continue their ways even if we were to win a national championship. They may go quiet for a month or three, but as soon as anything happens (on field or off) that they can spin as criticism, they'll be right back.

Nothing ever gonna change that. These forums are infested....

Until CBJ can get to Saban, Meyer level. Or even Dabo...there will always be negative opinions mixed in with positive opinions. Telling a passionate fanbase to just get over the SC and Vandy loses is laughable. Every fan on here doesn't look for excuses...some do. Im sure Cincy boards would have been thrilled with last yrs results.

All the sunshine fans just need to ignore the negative. Use that ignore button

Damn, all this time I've had it all wrong. Thanks dude, this changes everything.

News Flash: the NegaVols (and fake Vols here to troll) will continue their ways even if we were to win a national championship. They may go quiet for a month or three, but as soon as anything happens (on field or off) that they can spin as criticism, they'll be right back.

Nothing ever gonna change that. These forums are infested....

Look at the kick in the jewels we have endured for a very long time. Fans are tired of falling short and excuses and getting hopes up.
Winning 8 of 12 scheduled games and losing to SC and Vandy in yr 4 doesn't excite every Vol fan. And some of the things CBJ said got fans upset. He would receive the same negative attn at other top programs in the country.

I will admit...the problem starts at the very top of UT administration.

Geez dude. Grow up.

Reactions: 5 people
Look at the kick in the jewels we have endured for a very long time. Fans are tired of falling short and excuses and getting hopes up.
Winning 8 of 12 scheduled games and losing to SC and Vandy in yr 4 doesn't excite every Vol fan. And some of the things CBJ said got fans upset. He would receive the same negative attn at other top programs in the country.

I will admit...the problem starts at the very top of UT administration.

I don't disagree that we've been through some Dark Ages these past seven years.

But if you can't see improvement over the past three, you haven't been looking. You'd have to willfully ignore the relative pleasure of back to back 9-win seasons after everything we suffered from 2008 to 2013.

And I don't disagree with your point that the Vandy and USCe losses were devastating. They absolutely were. But get over them, man, it's a new day and a new season.

Don't hold on to the negative bits any more strongly than you think others should hold onto the positives. We're 0-0 in 2017 against Florida, Georgia, Bama, LSU, and yes the Ga Tech, Vandy, Mizzou, Kentucky, and USCe teams that we should beat handily any time we play them. Fresh slate against them all. Get over 2016 and get excited about a new season of Tennessee Football!

Last edited:
Lol, look at the OP's user name. Should tell you everything you need to know about him and his bs thread.

"Fulmer competed for SEC championships on a regular basis, Butch has failed to reach Atlanta".

You do realize Fulmer didn't make it to Atlanta until his 5th season, right?

Bottom line...Jones will be on the sideline when we kick off against Georgia Tech this fall. Nothing the fans say will change that one way or the other.

So all we can really do is wait and see what happens. Will we come out like a hungry team ready to take names or will we come out line we did against Appy State? Who knows?

But arguing CBJ at least gives us something to do all summer.

I am prepared for disappointment this season but would not be sad at all if we were to make it to Atlanta. Wishing Jones and crew a great season but not ready to hop on the hype train like I did last summer.

VN Store

Back