The (many) indictments of Donald Trump

Yes but I’m not fixing my damn autocorrect to tolling every time so just read rolling and rolled as tolling and tolled.

So a Statute of limitations or a “limitations period” is like a countdown that runs except when it’s rolled.

Some states have tolling or savings statutes that basically say “SOL doesn’t run when…”. (In Tennessee the circumstances that stop the time limit from running are when you conceal the fact of the crime or when you live outside the state.) I don’t know if New York has one but, if they do, it apparently doesn’t contain the outside the state language or anything else that would apply here.

Equitable tolling is basically where a court pauses the SOL out of fairness or to prevent injustice. I don’t know whether this has ever been done in New York or if it’s new, but the State’s argument is apparently going to be that they couldn’t indict him while he was president.
TIL.

Thanks. Although I am a little hurt you replied to only hog and ignored me.

So the health director of one of the largest counties in the country saying they needed to wait until post election to reopen is nothing to you?

Also you 100% ignored the overall question. Was the problem with trumps economy because of lockdowns or not?
The problems with Trump's economy were multi-faceted, not the least of which was COVID.
The fact that Trump created such an adversarial relationship with states that did not support him is just one more example of why he was the worst......should never have been elected.

The problems with Trump's economy were multi-faceted, not the least of which was COVID.
The fact that Trump created such an adversarial relationship with states that did not support him is just one more example of why he was the worst......should never have been elected.

When you say trump created adversarial relationships with the states you’re admitting in right. The states, counties, and cities ran by the left created economic problems by remaining locked down.

Right, it wasn’t the least but rather greatest of economic issues. Other than covid what other issues were there with the trump economy? Let’s take late 2019 and early 2020 for example. What specific issue was there with the economy?

Reactions: AM64
TIL.

Thanks. Although I am a little hurt you replied to only hog and ignored me.
I was typing an @ tag for you when you liked the post.

The problem with equitable tolling in this case is that, in this context, it’s kind of a pseudonym for “extraordinary measure.” You’re asking the court to go outside the law out of fairness to the requesting party.

If the requesting party is blameless, sometimes that’s okay. If Joe Defendant’s lawyer misses his filing deadline for a notice of appeal and Joe shows that he wrote him a letter every day for the whole 30 days and wrote to the court and this that and the other… MAYBE the court extends the deadline and gives Joe a new lawyer.

Here, whether they were able to indict the president or not is far from settled. Then there’s this issue of the 2+ year delay after Trump stops being president. So giving them an equitable remedy doesn’t seem appropriate because they’re not blameless.

Novel arguments are sometimes a good thing. But this is stacking novel arguments just to get an indictment. If they had a concrete charge within the statute of limitations and were stacking this on top, fine, but this being the only way they can indict him, it seems harassing.

So the health director of one of the largest counties in the country saying they needed to wait until post election to reopen is nothing to you?

Also you 100% ignored the overall question. Was the problem with trumps economy because of lockdowns or not?
How Trump builds relationships.....................while expecting no negative consequence
Trump blames California for wildfires, tells state ‘you gotta clean your floors’
The Governor of California,
@GavinNewsom
, has done a terrible job of forest management. I told him from the first day we met that he must “clean” his forest floors regardless of what his bosses, the environmentalists, DEMAND of him. Must also do burns and cut fire stoppers.....

..Every year, as the fire’s rage & California burns, it is the same thing-and then he comes to the Federal Government for $$$ help. No more. Get your act together Governor. You don’t see close to the level of burn in other states...But our teams are working well together in.....

How Trump builds relationships.....................while expecting no negative consequence
Trump blames California for wildfires, tells state ‘you gotta clean your floors’
The Governor of California,
@GavinNewsom
, has done a terrible job of forest management. I told him from the first day we met that he must “clean” his forest floors regardless of what his bosses, the environmentalists, DEMAND of him. Must also do burns and cut fire stoppers.....

..Every year, as the fire’s rage & California burns, it is the same thing-and then he comes to the Federal Government for $$$ help. No more. Get your act together Governor. You don’t see close to the level of burn in other states...But our teams are working well together in.....

So you agree they used lockdowns to destroy the economy? If not, I can’t see any other reason to keep bringing up his issues with California. And he’s right about that. They refuse to manage their forests and create this issue for themselves.

do you intend on answering the question of what issue outside of covid did trumps economy have? You can’t keep claiming he destroyed the economy without explaining why. I mean, you can, you’ll just be looked at as a clown

Last edited:
I was typing an @ tag for you when you liked the post.

The problem with equitable tolling in this case is that, in this context, it’s kind of a pseudonym for “extraordinary measure.” You’re asking the court to go outside the law out of fairness to the requesting party.

If the requesting party is blameless, sometimes that’s okay. If Joe Defendant’s lawyer misses his filing deadline for a notice of appeal and Joe shows that he wrote him a letter every day for the whole 30 days and wrote to the court and this that and the other… MAYBE the court extends the deadline and gives Joe a new lawyer.

Here, whether they were able to indict the president or not is far from settled. Then there’s this issue of the 2+ year delay after Trump stops being president. So giving them an equitable remedy doesn’t seem appropriate because they’re not blameless.

Novel arguments are sometimes a good thing. But this is stacking novel arguments just to get an indictment. If they had a concrete charge within the statute of limitations and were stacking this on top, fine, but this being the only way they can indict him, it seems harassing.
Let's say your gut instinct is spot on...The arguments by themselves are not concerning but everything together raises your eyebrow.

Does the ethics complaint from DJT attorney's carry more weight? Is Bragg being risky with his career or his current position?

Now DA Bragg is claiming Trump made up the whole arrest thing????

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
2h
BREAKING: Alvin Bragg responds to Rep. Jim Jordan, claims Trump created a ‘False Expectation’ about his alleged ‘Arrest’.

Fr6m6f2aMAEVRyF

Fr6m8eFaEAIa6p2

Let's say your gut instinct is spot on...The arguments by themselves are not concerning but everything together raises your eyebrow.

Does the ethics complaint from DJT attorney's carry more weight? Is Bragg being risky with his career or his current position?
No, but maybe? I still don’t know of any legal or ethical prohibition that would apply. Those rules tend to allow a lot. Case in point, 50 years ago, originalism was a novel legal theory. Now you’ve got like 7 Supreme Court justices who subscribe to it. Allowing lawyers elbow room is important.

He’s also insulated by the fact that any indictment is technically an action of the grand jury, not his unilateral decision. And then there’s the procedural safeguards that Trump can assert.

It’s on a level with breaking of norms that got people upset when Trump was president. There’s nothing technically illegal about it or you’d have a hard time proving the things that would make it illegal, but it’s self-serving and shady.

Edit: prospectively self-serving and shady.* It also seems like peak Trump that we’re having all this out before there’s even an indictment, which is kind of why I hadn’t followed it.

Reactions: McDad
When you say trump created adversarial relationships with the states you’re admitting in right. The states, counties, and cities ran by the left created economic problems by remaining locked down.

Right, it wasn’t the least but rather greatest of economic issues. Other than covid what other issues were there with the trump economy? Let’s take late 2019 and early 2020 for example. What specific issue was there with the economy?
he refused to address the inflation issue. I was listening to some experts talking about how multiple proposals put forth under Trump, but rejected by him/his cabinet, would have had a real impact.

The most common proposal was to steadily raise the interest rates back then, which would have gone a long way to head off the worst of the inflation we are currently seeing. Supposedly everyone knew it was a problem, but no one wanted to be the one tapping the breaks.

I have even talked with my lender about this and he is of the opinion that even a .25 interest rate hike under Trump would have saved us approx. 2 points of interest rates today. and that if he had raised it by 1 point over his entire term, we likely wouldn't be seeing any real change in the growth of inflation. And it would/could have been so gradual the population never would have noticed.

Reactions: volfanhill
Now DA Bragg is claiming Trump made up the whole arrest thing????

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
2h
BREAKING: Alvin Bragg responds to Rep. Jim Jordan, claims Trump created a ‘False Expectation’ about his alleged ‘Arrest’.

Fr6m6f2aMAEVRyF

Fr6m8eFaEAIa6p2

Interesting that a NY Dem would invoke state's rights but he's 100% correct in his letter, it ain't none of congresses business.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
he refused to address the inflation issue. I was listening to some experts talking about how multiple proposals put forth under Trump, but rejected by him/his cabinet, would have had a real impact.

The most common proposal was to steadily raise the interest rates back then, which would have gone a long way to head off the worst of the inflation we are currently seeing. Supposedly everyone knew it was a problem, but no one wanted to be the one tapping the breaks.

I have even talked with my lender about this and he is of the opinion that even a .25 interest rate hike under Trump would have saved us approx. 2 points of interest rates today. and that if he had raised it by 1 point over his entire term, we likely wouldn't be seeing any real change in the growth of inflation. And it would/could have been so gradual the population never would have noticed.

While true we should have seen interest rates rise long ago, they should have began raising them gradually in 2015/16 it wouldn't have staved off or even had much of an impact on the inflation we are seeing. The vast majority of what we are experiencing now is a direct result of the worldwide overreaction to Covid. Shutting down production while promoting spending was always going to lead us into an inflationary cycle.

Biden and his administration are not to blame for inflation although their actions and policies have made it worse.

Free money was always going to come back and bite us in the ass.

So you agree they used lockdowns to destroy the economy? If not, I can’t see any other reason to keep bringing up his issues with California. And he’s right about that. They refuse to manage their forests and create this issue for themselves.

do you intend on answering the question of what issue outside of covid did trumps economy have? You can’t keep claiming he destroyed the economy without explaining why. I mean, you can, you’ll just be looked at as a clown

All the COVID “free money” is a big cause of the inflation issue we have today. You can’t flood the economy with new money at the same time productivity is falling off a cliff.

Reactions: AM64 and Vol8188
While true we should have seen interest rates rise long ago, they should have began raising them gradually in 2015/16 it wouldn't have staved off or even had much of an impact on the inflation we are seeing. The vast majority of what we are experiencing now is a direct result of the worldwide overreaction to Covid. Shutting down production while promoting spending was always going to lead us into an inflationary cycle.

Biden and his administration are not to blame for inflation although their actions and policies have made it worse.

What about ****ing with trade and interrupting that aspect of the supply chain?

I believe it makes sense that COVID reaction is the biggest culprit, but the odd thing is we actually saw deflation from the start of COVID all the way until Q2 of 2021. I wonder what explains the trends.

1679598225200.png

All the COVID “free money” is a big cause of the inflation issue we have today. You can’t flood the economy with new money at the same time productivity is falling off a cliff.

Artificially low interest rates are just another version of free money, so it's all compounding. I remodeled my kitchen at the inflated price of $40k. Put it on a 30-yr refinance at 2.6%. I'll win that deal by the end.

Interesting that a NY Dem would invoke state's rights but he's 100% correct in his letter, it ain't none of congresses business.
It appears Bragg is trying to find an out for himself by blaming Trump for 'false expectations' about his arrest but it was not Trump that briught out hundreds of NYPD officers and barricades.

What about ****ing with trade and interrupting that aspect of the supply chain?

I believe it makes sense that COVID reaction is the biggest culprit, but the odd thing is we actually saw deflation from the start of COVID all the way until Q2 of 2021. I wonder what explains the trends.

View attachment 542579

You saw deflation in energy (gas) prices, that is the only deflation we experienced.

Reactions: AM64
Artificially low interest rates are just another version of free money, so it's all compounding. I remodeled my kitchen at the inflated price of $40k. Put it on a 30-yr refinance at 2.6%. I'll win that deal by the end.

You’ll be on the right side of that bet sooner rather than later.

I believe the president has almost no control.
But if one believes the economy is a reflection of a president, then they would have to believe that Trump pretty much destroyed a an inherited great economy and Biden is struggling to improve on the failing economy that he inherited from Trump.
Great economy inherited? The economy was booming under Trump and cruising to another 4 years. And look what happened a manufactured virus entered the world magically in an election year that was connected to the left. End result was deaths and economy shut down which all was collateral damage to keep Trump from winning. Sorry if you lost a loved one, blame those on the left that needed it to happen to get Trump out of office.

VN Store

Back