The Liberal Argument for a Higher Minimum Wage

I went through the McDonald’s drive thru last week and noticed the drink machine is fully automated now. It loads the cup on a circular conveyor then loads the ice and the drink.

In reference to the title of the thread, have liberals made a convincing argument yet?

In reference to the title of the thread, have liberals made a convincing argument yet?

I think you know the answer to that. But I love to poke that hornets nest from time to time as well.

Reactions: MG1968

The one argument they use to use was about being able to make a comfortable living if you work 40 hours a week. Nobody is going to go live comfortably making $15 an hour if they work 50 hours a week.

Reactions: MG1968
The one argument they use to use was about being able to make a comfortable living if you work 40 hours a week. Nobody is going to go live comfortably making $15 an hour if they work 50 hours a week.

Well, with an EBT cards for free food, basically free Section 8 housing, free cell phones and free health care, they are not far from wrong.

1F969ADA-7A48-4DAB-81FA-9E8E3F476D80.jpeg

I don’t think for one second democrats even believe they’re trying to help low income earners. They’re just trying to keep them on the hook, reliant on the govt while keeping up the narrative that those opposed to a $15 minimum wage are the enemy.

View attachment 349753

I don’t think for one second democrats even believe they’re trying to help low income earners. They’re just trying to keep them on the hook, reliant on the govt while keeping up the narrative that those opposed to a $15 minimum wage are the enemy.

The increase in the federal min wage doesn't have a damn thing to do with those making min wage now or those in poverty. It has EVERYTHING to do with paying off the unions since most union contracts have an automatic increase tied to the federal minimum wage built in.

The increase in the federal min wage doesn't have a damn thing to do with those making min wage now or those in poverty. It has EVERYTHING to do with paying off the unions since most union contracts have an automatic increase tied to the federal minimum wage built in.
I was in one of my restaurants yesterday and an hourly was talking to me. He asked what would we do if this were passed. I said we would comply with federal law and figure it out. He then said that he made more then $15 an hour, and if others got a $1-$2 an hour raise, then he would expect the same. I told him that's not how this works. He wasn't too happy.

I was in one of my restaurants yesterday and an hourly was talking to me. He asked what would we do if this were passed. I said we would comply with federal law and figure it out. He then said that he made more then $15 an hour, and if others got a $1-$2 an hour raise, then he would expect the same. I told him that's not how this works. He wasn't too happy.
Amazing when real world slaps people in the face. The wage didn't just affect those below the line but everyone else too.

You’re gonna see this everywhere. Why work a $17-$18 dollar factory job when you can get basically the same to work at the local shell station.

I remember back during the Obama years, the conservative scare tactics Sean Hannity would use (I guess he still does it) was about rising food prices everytime the minimum wage issues was brought up. I don't miss listening to him.
What are the alternatives to rising prices when labor cost go up? Less profit? Smaller portion size? Automation and fewer jobs ? Any others I missed? We can probably rule out less profit in the majority of cases.

What are the alternatives to rising prices when labor cost go up? Less profit? Smaller portion size? Automation and fewer jobs ? Any others I missed? We can probably rule out less profit in the majority of cases.
Minimum wage is designed to help corporations. Whether it was intentional at first or not, that's where it is now.

Corporations love red tape and government interference.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
When I started working minimum wage earners were first job workers and students. Pay increases came with experience and job performance. So who are the 1.3 million mw earners today? From some statistics I have see ,in the neighborhood of 700,000 today are between 16-24. Another interesting thing is in the restaurant industry here waiters an waitresses earn minimum wage houry, when tips are incuded, some ,if not many earn considerably more than inimum wage. Another interesting question is how minimum wage earners spend their money. Does it result increases in factory production for a longer period of time or one time purchases that affect the economy only for the short term? Any thoughts and referece data?

VN Store

Back