The Last of Us Series (HBO)

My biggest problem with the episode is Bill's this survival expert, but he's standing in the middle of a lit street trading fire with guys instead of shooting from cover. WTF. That scene was still badass.

Also, I feel like he would have had a much better plan worked out for his partner in that situation.

Last edited:
I didn't want this episode in the first place? How did you arrive at that conclusion? And where do you get that I wanted it to pander to me?

Genuinely interested in your response to these questions because I'm perplexed now.

I believe this was you ranting about how you didn't like the episode?

if this had been a hetero relationship then about 30 minutes into it I would have had the same feeling of "Ok I get it. Now can we get back to the story?" If you want to tell a random side love story, that's fine, but over an hour is overkill. I'm here for Ellie and Joel, not a random couple with little effect on the main story.

Yep, but none of that answers my questions. Of course I wanted the "Bill" episode. And no, I didn't want it to "pander to me"

You got the episode and then complained about it for 5 paragraphs. Excuse my confusion.

Can you acknowledge that the large majority of TV and movies represent hetero relationships, in between your complaints about how unfair storytelling is these days?

You got the episode and then complained about it for 5 paragraphs. Excuse my confusion.

Can you acknowledge that the large majority of TV and movies represent hetero relationships, in between your complaints about how unfair storytelling is these days?

Of course I will acknowledge that. About 5% of America identifies as gay. So I think it's safe to say, especially now, homosexuality relationships are represented in TV/movies at least 5% of the time. Its quite proportionate to reality.

And I wanted the "Bill" episode from the games. No I did not want this love story episode, regardless of whether it was homo/hetero.

Of course I will acknowledge that. About 5% of America identifies as gay. So I think it's safe to say, especially now, homosexuality relationships are represented in TV/movies at least 5% of the time. Its quite proportionate to reality.

And I wanted the "Bill" episode from the games. No I did not want this love story episode, regardless of whether it was homo/hetero.

So you didn't want the episode?!! Jesucristo

As long as we're keeping tabs and consumed with accurate representation*, we should consider the target audience for this show. 10.5% of millennials identify as LGBTQ, and 21% of Gen Z adults do, too.

*I don't remember hetero people caring about this 20 years ago. Be the guy who doesn't complain in either scenario.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Not typically one for love stories, but my wife and I really enjoyed the episode. Really well done. The gay stuff was only awkward for like 2 minutes of the entire episode, but I feel similarly about straight couples being overly romantic.

If you're craving a Notebook spin-off watch the episode. If you're wanting story advancement watch the last 2 minutes or so.

Hurry up and advance the main story already so we can get to jumping the shark! Nobody has time for back story.

Where were you on the Indonesia flashback stuff in episode 2? We didn't need any of that to move the story forward. Could've been handled with a 1 minute convo. Just skip to Esther dying, already. Right?

Hurry up and advance the main story already so we can get to jumping the shark! Nobody has time for back story.

Where were you on the Indonesia flashback stuff in episode 2? We didn't need any of that to move the story forward. Could've been handled with a 1 minute convo. Just skip to Esther dying, already. Right?

Backstory is great when it actually advances the main story.

Apples to oranges on that comparison.

Backstory is great when it actually advances the main story.

Apples to oranges on that comparison.

It advanced the main story because Joel now has a truck, he's armed, and supplied. How is that not advancing the main story? We didn't need to know any of the Indonesia stuff to advance the story. Not at all. We already knew it was a fungus. What was revealed? What advanced the story?

Not only did this episode (slightly) advance the main story, there was a lot of Joel's character development in there. The charge to be a protector in Bill's letter was so cool. It applied, but not in the way Bill intended.

It advanced the main story because Joel now has a truck, he's armed, and supplied. How is that not advancing the main story? We didn't need to know any of the Indonesia stuff to advance the story. Not at all. We already knew it was a fungus. What was revealed? What advanced the story?

Not only did this episode (slightly) advance the main story, there was a lot of Joel's character development in there. The charge to be a protector in Bill's letter was so cool. It applied, but not in the way Bill intended.

Yep, we are finally in agreement. The last few minutes of the episode advanced the main story.

The rest of it however...

Yep, we are finally in agreement. The last few minutes of the episode advanced the main story.

The rest of it however...

You must've hated Better Call Saul. All backstory and didn't advance the main story at all. ; )

I really don't understand this gripe. We are here for storytelling, right? Never heard of somebody so impatient about backstory. I love this stuff. I love prequels. Prometheus. Godfather II. Rogue One. Hell, we know they get the plans to the Death Star. It did not advance the main Star Wars story...and it's the best thing the franchise has made since 1980.

If you spend too much time in the present of a zombie apocalypse show, it's gonna get old quick. Be prepared for more backstories.

How did I know the usual suspects would come in and put down anyone who didn't like it?

The first two episodes were good. That one wasn't. That's my opinion. **** off otherwise.

Reactions: NYCVolunteer
My biggest problem with the episode is Bill's this survival expert, but he's standing in the middle of a lit street trading fire with guys instead of shooting from cover. WTF. That scene was still badass.

Also, I feel like he would have had a much better plan worked out for his partner in that situation.
My firearms training is by no means at expert level, but you would think that with that much thought and prep work, he would have a better plan when the troops came calling. I was like "bro, you're in the open with no cover and outgunned." Not a good place to be. With the barrier fencing and traps in place, a sniper position would be ideal to take out the advancing adversaries.

Reactions: n_huffhines
How did I know the usual suspects would come in and put down anyone who didn't like it?

The first two episodes were good. That one wasn't. That's my opinion. **** off otherwise.

Do you mean a usual suspect? Elvis is throwing around aspersions of homophobia but I see nobody else putting anybody down.

This is where we talk about what we like and don't like about the show. Disagreement isn't an attack. Saying "**** off" to people who have said nothing to you, is.

The fact you led with this when we saw probably 2 minutes of kissing....
The fact that you left out the rest of my post....

There was nearly no interaction with the characters that survived (and from what I understand, Bill and the girl had a significant relationship in the game). That would have been cool to see.

I just think they could have done more with what was a terrific setup.

My firearms training is by no means at expert level, but you would think that with that much thought and prep work, he would have a better plan when the troops came calling. I was like "bro, you're in the open with no cover and outgunned." Not a good place to be. With the barrier fencing and traps in place, a sniper position would be ideal to take out the advancing adversaries.

Exactly

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Do you mean a usual suspect? Elvis is throwing around aspersions of homophobia but I see nobody else putting anybody down.

This is where we talk about what we like and don't like about the show. Disagreement isn't an attack. Saying "**** off" to people who have said nothing to you, is.

And ktown, and you arguing about pandering. I'm preemptively saying **** off to anyone who does their usual shtick. Which has happened.

I can not like gay pandering episodes which are slow. Just tell a good story.

I've not played the games (my kids are Xbox players), but sounds like they missed out on some great scenes with Ellie and Bill.

And ktown, and you arguing about pandering. I'm preemptively saying **** off to anyone who does their usual shtick. Which has happened.

It was an incredibly told and acted love story. I don't see how anyone can watch that episode and think otherwise.

Reactions: VolunteerVandiver

Why can't you?

LOL at "arguing about pandering" (which is not putting people down) and then you make a point about pandering. You guys are the ones saying it's pandering, I was just using y'all's words.

VN Store

Back