The Kumar Rocker Mystery

I hope he doesn’t go to my Braves. We already have enough Vandy boys 😂

I've seen a few recent mock drafts switch the Red Sox pick from Gilbert to Rocker and my heart dropped. Obviously, I am biased and want a Vol on the Red Sox, but even if there were 0 Vols in this draft, I REALLY do not want Rocker.

Chaim Bloom has built his version of the Red Sox these first three seasons on rehabbing pitchers with arm injuries that he believes are high risk, high reward, primarily in our bullpen, and it simply has not worked. I think Rocker is a bit over-valued, especially now that he is another year older. I would be fine if we took him in the 2nd or 3rd round, especially since we have a compensatory pick at #41 due to Jud Fabian turning us down last year, but I have no desire to see our first-round pick wasted on Rocker.

I don't think he is worth it. The arm issues are a major red flag to me, and Boston has notoriously swung and missed on first-round pick pitchers over the last decade. I want a safer, higher floor pick. If we're going "injured arm" in the first-round, give me Connor Priellip.

I've seen a few recent mock drafts switch the Red Sox pick from Gilbert to Rocker and my heart dropped. Obviously, I am biased and want a Vol on the Red Sox, but even if there were 0 Vols in this draft, I REALLY do not want Rocker.

Chaim Bloom has built his version of the Red Sox these first three seasons on rehabbing pitchers with arm injuries that he believes are high risk, high reward, primarily in our bullpen, and it simply has not worked. I think Rocker is a bit over-valued, especially now that he is another year older. I would be fine if we took him in the 2nd or 3rd round, especially since we have a compensatory pick at #41 due to Jud Fabian turning us down last year, but I have no desire to see our first-round pick wasted on Rocker.

I don't think he is worth it. The arm issues are a major red flag to me, and Boston has notoriously swung and missed on first-round pick pitchers over the last decade. I want a safer, higher floor pick. If we're going "injured arm" in the first-round, give me Connor Priellip.
I completely agree. 1st round picks are extremely valuable and I’m not taking a risk on a guy with upper extremity injury concerns at such a young age. It will be interesting to see how the teams in the back half of the draft pick because it seems a lot of those teams are looking at the same players.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I completely agree. 1st round picks are extremely valuable and I’m not taking a risk on a guy with upper extremity injury concerns at such a young age. It will be interesting to see how the teams in the back half of the draft pick because it seems a lot of those teams are looking at the same players.

Agreed. I am actually super interested in the draft this year. Lots of intrigue. Pretty much from pick #17-#30 the entire draft is a crapshoot. I have seen the same crop of 5 college outfielders constantly changing slots in mocks these past few weeks.

I’m also afraid Gilbert won’t be there at 24 anymore for Boston, because recent mocks have had him moving up to the 17-22 range. He must be crushing his workouts and interviews.

Latest article I’ve seen on him. Interesting arrangement with the Independent League team. Doesn’t pitch on the road and his development is 100% handled by BorasCorp.
Watching the scouts watch Kumar Rocker, 2022 MLB draft man of mystery
“I've had 20 first-round pitchers with worse MRIs than his." -Boras

Well that’s a big red flag to me. At the very least, he is admitting there is something not normal. He shared the surgeon notes but not the MRI. Huge red flag. If there are little to no concerns then he would share the MRI with teams. The teams are the ones that are investing big dollars into these players and they deserve to know. It should be a MLB Draft requirement to take and share MRI with all the teams medical staff.

Agreed. I am actually super interested in the draft this year. Lots of intrigue. Pretty much from pick #17-#30 the entire draft is a crapshoot. I have seen the same crop of 5 college outfielders constantly changing slots in mocks these past few weeks.

I’m also afraid Gilbert won’t be there at 24 anymore for Boston, because recent mocks have had him moving up to the 17-22 range. He must be crushing his workouts and interviews.
I wouldn’t mind him going to the Braves but it seems they are locked in on taking a pitcher, which I can’t complain about. You can never have enough good pitching.

Bloom used to be a former Tampa Bay executive and the Rays's mo is to build through the draft and trade for young prospects.

Bloom used to be a former Tampa Bay executive and the Rays's mo is to build through the draft and trade for young prospects.

I know his MO and I’m fine with it if it works, and I’m giving him time, I just don’t like the Rocker pick and I hope it doesn’t happen. Waste of first round pick IMO.

VN Store

Back