The Key Sisters !

Won’t even be Pat?!?🤔 Like Pat and Geno she brought a dead program to life. You may have meant might not reach her win totals but she has gotten USC fired up for women’s basketball and she has given Pat much credit for that and her part in growing the women’s game. There are other things Staley has done also in their community and other communities that will leave a lasting impact.
The post that I was replying to said that she might be another Geno... I wasn't arguing that she had done a good job. I was pumping the brakes on the hype - which that definitely was. I meant that she won't win anywhere near the number of championships that either Pat did or Geno has (8 and 11, respectively) and she is going to have to win more than just 1 (with only 2 Final Fours) in the next few years, to get me to change my mind on that.

The post that I was replying to said that she might be another Geno... I wasn't arguing that she had done a good job. I was pumping the brakes on the hype - which that definitely was. I meant that she won't win anywhere near the number of championships that either Pat did or Geno has (8 and 11, respectively) and she is going to have to win more than just 1 (with only 2 Final Fours) in the next few years, to get me to change my mind on that.

I didn’t think it was an argument but a discussion. Trust me I get what you’re saying now that’s why I asked for clarification.

Seriously? You are saying that a 50 year old coach with only 2 Final Four appearances and 1 National Championship in 11 seasons (not including 2019-2020, because there wasn't a postseason) at her current school, might end up being one of the all time greats just because she recruits well? That is pure hype and it's ridiculous. By the time Pat Summitt turned 50, she had made the Final Four 12 times and won 6 National Championships, but Dawn Staley might be Geno? What a joke, she won't even be Pat.
So accuracy is your friend, and so is context. Note I said 'wants' to be Geno, not will be Geno. And that was a reply to the discussion of whether Dawn would ever leave SC, say for Virginia, her alma mater. I said she probably wanted to stay at SC and build a brand out of a previously nowhere program. And stay a long time and be identified with the brand like Geno. Just recruiting well won't make her great, but she won't be great without killer recruits either. So there's that in her favor.

Don't mind explaining the discussion to you but might have been good to give it a glance before frothing over pure hype and ridiculousness.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
So accuracy is your friend, and so is context. Note I said 'wants' to be Geno, not will be Geno. And that was a reply to the discussion of whether Dawn would ever leave SC, say for Virginia, her alma mater. I said she probably wanted to stay at SC and build a brand out of a previously nowhere program. And stay a long time. Like Geno, Don't mind explaining the discussion to you but might have been good to give it a glance before frothing over pure hype and ridiculousness.
You said she "might" be Geno, if she continues to recruit well. It is not a big deal, but that was hype.

You said she "might" be Geno, if she continues to recruit well. It is not a big deal, but that was hype.
The WBB landscape today will never produce another run like Geno and Pat had. The same with John Wooden at UCLA. The power 5 schools stepped up to the plate and started supporting WBB unlike the decades before.

Said she might the second time around, quickly followed by how she better cause now she has big expectation pressure. Also depends on the level of Geno-ness she's aspiring too; I was talking about brand building at previous non contender, not career wins, titles etc.

But yeah, different interpretations, espec outside the context of the discussion.

The WBB landscape today will never produce another run like Geno and Pat had. The same with John Wooden at UCLA. The power 5 schools stepped up to the plate and started supporting WBB unlike the decades before.
Exactly. Too many good teams, too many good players to run up those kind of numbers. When discussing whether Dawn would consider leaving SC, I said she possibly wants to stay and be the legend associated with the brand, like Geno. You know, be the coach that the next coach at that school can't possibly live up to.

Exactly. Too many good teams, too many good players to run up those kind of numbers. When discussing whether Dawn would consider leaving SC, I said she possibly wants to stay and be the legend associated with the brand, like Geno. You know, be the coach that the next coach at that school can't possibly live up to.
The support...and the money...that would be hard to match. She has a perfect set up and there is not a better program she could move to. There might be some lateral moves but why do that.

The support...and the money...that would be hard to match. She has a perfect set up and there is not a better program she could move to. There might be some lateral moves but why do that.
Since returning to alma mater has been ruled out, unless she just really wants to live somewhere other than Columbia, S.C. (imagine that) I can see no reason for her to leave.

You have a very good coach and are here to stay. There is no doubt about that.

Since returning to alma mater has been ruled out, unless she just really wants to live somewhere other than Columbia, S.C. (imagine that) I can see no reason for her to leave.
Her mother lived in Columbia before she took the job and was a South Carolina native. Her mother passed in 2018 and is buried here.

Univ of Texas would match it and probably increase it. They just have the resources and money. She could rebuild that support in a crazy state like Texas too and it wouldn’t be too hard they got their guy with Vic though. But Univ of Tex would be somewhere that she could reproduce and probably make more.

But I know dawn has engrained herself in the SC community. I am thoroughly impressed with how she has built that program. I don’t think she is going anywhere anytime soon SC vs UConn may be the new rivalry but I think the ND vs UConn rivalry will be back Ivey being a part of the team that took UConn down in the final four along with being a coach when it happened adds a little extra juice. TN vs UConn might be back if both coaches choose to do so.

Last edited:
Univ of Texas would match it and probably increase it. They just have the resources and money. She could rebuild that support in a crazy state like Texas too and it wouldn’t be too hard they got their guy with Vic though. But Univ of Tex would be somewhere that she could reproduce and probably make more.

But I know dawn has engrained herself in the SC community. I am thoroughly impressed with how she has built that program. I don’t think she is going anywhere anytime soon SC vs UConn may be the new rivalry but I think the ND vs UConn rivalry will be back Ivey being a part of the team that took UConn down in the final four along with being a coach when it happened adds a little extra juice. TN vs UConn might be back if both coaches choose to do so.
Tanner the AD said he would not lose Dawn at any price....lol....Dawn may could have parlayed that into a huge payday.....but Vic is there now so that's moot.....

of the two, I'd take dawn in a new york minute. Can't stand Vic S after the display he put on with his little PG after they lost to (ND?) after beating UCONN.

Tanner the AD said he would not lose Dawn at any price....lol....Dawn may could have parlayed that into a huge payday.....but Vic is there now so that's moot.....

I think even you realize with a Univ like Texas if they wanted to outbid with their resources doe Dawn they could break monetary barriers with their resources. But as I previously stated they wanted Vic and he fits their narrative of a coach better. The question wasn’t IF Dawn wanted to leave it was if there is another school out there with the resources better than SC and the simple answer is yes! Even you know that deep down inside. We all know she is engrained at SC, we all know she has built that program BUT if she was looking for a straight up payday when that job came open I do believe Texas could have put some ridiculous amount of money on the table if it chose to if that was the only deciding factor. Texas in all the links I have seen have the highest revenue out of all the colleges across the country. They also allocate the most money because they pay their coaches absurds amounts of money.

Dang I’m off the thread topic ...uhm uhm. Oh wait I am mentioning Texas because they got Vic S who recruited Teonni at Ms St and made her top 11 schools and I wonder if he has made an impression on her and gotten her to consider Texas. Phew saved it😃

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
I think even you realize with a Univ like Texas if they wanted to outbid with their resources doe Dawn they could break monetary barriers with their resources. But as I previously stated they wanted Vic and he fits their narrative of a coach better. The question wasn’t IF Dawn wanted to leave it was if there is another school out there with the resources better than SC and the simple answer is yes! Even you know that deep down inside. We all know she is engrained at SC, we all know she has built that program BUT if she was looking for a straight up payday when that job came open I do believe Texas could have put some ridiculous amount of money on the table if it chose to if that was the only deciding factor.
Did you even read what I said...I said Dawn could have parlayed that into a huge payday. I did not say that Texas could not outbid South Carolina....but I think that there would be a limit on how much any power 5 program would pay a coach for an athletic program (WBB almost always runs in the red) that is in the red all the time....UCONN is going to find it hard to replace Geno because they are already in dire straights financially.....

Did you even read what I said...I said Dawn could have parlayed that into a huge payday. I did not say that Texas could not outbid South Carolina...don't put words in my mouth.
And did you read what I said... THIS WHOLE THING started because a post about Schools not having the “support OR MONEY” to compete with SC which is not true. But I get it you changed the narrative of the topic of the convo. Got it.

I thought it was a simple conversation but obviously it wasn’t. So do you want to get defensive now? I just need to know how to react with you before you change that narrative too?

Now I see why people think you get in an uproar when anybody says anything about SC just for the record I’m one of the posters who glows about the job Dawn has done and have even caught crap on here for it. So mind your words before you want to start anything. This conversation is done so if you can’t get BACK TO THE ORIGINAL topic don’t say $#!+ to me.

Again back to the original topic.

Last edited:
And did you read what I said... THIS WHOLE THING started because a post about Schools not having the resources to compete with SC which is not true. But I get it you changed the narrative of the topic of the convo. Got it.

I thought it was a simple conversation but obviously it wasn’t. So do you want to get defensive now? I just need to know how to react with you before you change that narrative too?

Now I see why people think you get in an uproar when anybody says anything about SC just for the record I’m one of the posters who glows about the job Dawn has done and have even caught crap on here for it. So mind your words before you want to start anything. This conversation is done so if you can’t get BACK TO THE ORIGINAL topic don’t say $#!+ to me.
I edited my response.....but still I said I don't think any Power 5 school is going to bid too high on a losing program. Tennessee is short of a million and they could pay more...Dawn is at 2 Million. It would not make sense to go much higher with little to no financial gain....wasn't trying to piss you off just stating the landscape of WBB. The fact that they could...doesn't mean they would....

I edited my response.....but still I said I don't think any Power 5 school is going to bid too high on a losing program. Tennessee is short of a million and they could pay more...Dawn is at 2 Million. It would not make sense to go much higher with little to no financial gain....wasn't trying to piss you off just stating the landscape of WBB.

My point was Texas is probably the only school to outbid SC for any reason and that reason is they pay their coaches seemingly ridiculous amounts of money for no real reason or mediocre performances lol. So it wouldn’t be unimaginable that if they wanted Dawn because of her success they would throw money out just to do it. She could also build a fan base there because she has that type of personality and TX is a hotbed for girls basketball. So a winning program will put people in seats not saying it equals out to what they put out but it could lessen the blow. Then you have the Longhorn network (worth 300 mill) who could take a personality like Dawn and make the most of it which would bring in more revenue.

It was a knock again, it was just facts. I’m not pissed I just am clear on where to put people. Some people see it as aggressive I see it as being straight forward and wanting no confusion.

I am good. We are good. I like Dawn she played for my home State. I don’t like her enough for her to stay atop the SEC but that’s where our coaches and players have to put in the work like SCs did. On the years it isn’t meant for TN to win championships I wouldn’t mind seeing Dawn hold the trophy. I just hope those years aren’t too far and too many. 😃

Again, we are good (unless Key commits to SC then it’s war again😂 see had to bring it back to original post)

VN Store

Back