The Josh Heupel offense took down 8 school records in Year 1

Man takes his talking dog to a talent competition. On stage the man asks, “Dog, what’s on the top of these houses.” Dog says, “Roof, roof, roof.” Audience groans. Man says, “Who holds the single season home run record?” Dog says “Roof, Ruth, Roof”. Audience boos and chases them off stage. Back stage, dog asks, “Should I have said Maris?”

...maybe it was funnier before Aaron and Bonds...
lol

2021 was a great offense to watch...........but the '93 offense was better

Pretty impressive, and I had a ton of fun watching the team this year.

But I just want to point out TD's and PAT's is essentially the same statistic/record, but every PR department stretches these things out for hype purposes. Still not as bad as Butch touting first time crossing time zones or that other nonsense.

This reminds me of the seasons with Tyler Bray. Our offense seemed to move the ball with ease but our defense could not stop anybody during those seasons. That resulted in us not winning as many games as we should have. I believe you have to play complimentary football to be successful.

Our offense is in good hands and I expect them to continue to improve under Heupel. I believe Hooker's success was huge to show future QB recruits what Heupel could do for them too. However, for us to take the next step forward as a team we will have to improve the defense. I know Tennessee social media is pointing out all of these offensive records, which is fantastic in Year 1, but the defensive stats were horrendous. I know a lot of that was due to the speed of our offense, new system, and lack of depth. I am looking forward to what the future holds for Tennessee Football. I am excited where the program is headed. Go Vols!

Bray's last season we averaged about 33 PPG and had a losing season.

scored 44 and lost.....31 and lost...35 and lost...48 and lost. Not to mention our usual losses.

Guys, this is only the beginning. He smashed the records as a player at OU in 1999-2000, as well as running the offense there, and later as the HC at UCF. Dude fields a legit offense. Get the D up to the same level and the SEC becomes your footstool.

Gotta step up the D - And also get some ball/ clock control. But, Considering UT’s schedule last year we shoulda / coulda / woulda won maybe 10 games in Year ONE under Heupel! Pitt / Ole Miss / Purdue - all just a few plays away…
I am ALL onboard & looking forward to season # 2!!!!!

As noted in another thread points per possession is what matters. If I have 13 possessions and score 40 points it's not the same as doing so with 10 possessions.

Per game figures are meaningless.
Actually points per game is THE offensive stat that matters most, period.

I don't know if I agree with that. Obviously any QB is aided by elite talent around him. But QB talent seems to be the biggest driving factor in winning. Granted any one position is only so valuable, but QB appears to be far more valuable than.

The Vikings example you're giving was a team with a least 3 hall of famers on offense (McDaniel, Carter, Moss) and an elite center and RB. I believe Randall on defense is also a hall of famer from that team (if not he should be). Obviously that would make any QB look better than they are. But an elite QB is still more important than any one of those players alone.
Look no further than Brady. He rarely had star WRs in New England and they were usually one of the best offenses while he was there.

Reactions: Vol8188
Negavol alert -

Let's seen those defensive stats !
In 2021 we gave up 27.5 ppg and 404.6 ypg.
In 2020 we gave up 30.1 ppg and 407.4 ypg.

With a much worse defensive roster and with the defense having to be on the field more as our TOP went from 27:56 to 24:24 (worst in the nation).

Yes the D was more porous than Swiss cheese at times but they were better than I expected and somehow better than last year.

What impresses me is the development of Hendon Hooker.

It seems like we have a coach that can actually develop QB's which is huge.

Reactions: keithpowers

VN Store

Back