The Josh Heupel offense took down 8 school records in Year 1

Well, I didn't say an elite QB wasn't important. I said it takes a team. What good is a QB if there is no center, or receivers, or an OL guarding him? Hooker should have on the Florida game, but the receivers we fielded kept dropping balls. Even the magical Josh Dobbs had just enough of those elements to perform quite well despite the criticism heaped on him while he was here. An elite QB is fine. A mobile QB is fine. Still, it takes a team.

Sure it does. But my point is simply that an elite QB is of greater importance than any other position.

271601710_4605639406157991_7507993636111568636_n.jpg

If we could combine that with shattering some defensive records ......

I'd be interested to see someone like PFF do a study on this. There's a common view in coaching circles that zone coverage leads to more interceptions because everyone is looking at the QB. The better your QB can run, the more zone you will see.
I totally understand. I'm basing my reply on my own logic and empirical evidence of what I see. Having a true study done on it would be cool. Too bad I hate doing research. lol

Reactions: Vol8188
This is impressive.

My thing is, it either needed to be 600 points scored, or 517 points but took 20 more playclock minutes to do it.
That's seriously the difference between a
10-3 season and the one we had.

ACC Champion Pittsburgh was not better than us.
9-4 Purdue was not better than us.

I'm very hopeful that Heupel learns to grasp the bigger picture. Because not every team can score like we were able to .
Have to stop stopping ourselves...

Reactions: Tnphil and murfvol1
The most impressive stat is the interceptions. This has to be one of the highest total number of plays that UT has ever ran. To do that, and throw the least number of interceptions is amazing.

True. However, in the first couple of games all of the DB's were overthrown as well...:)

ACC Champion Pittsburgh was not better than us.
9-4 Purdue was not better than us.
I think a lot of the Pitt game was about the calendar. At the time we played them, I think Pitt may have been a little better just because of their QB play vs ours. If that game was a few weeks and some practice reps later, I agree with you.

Reactions: Vol8188
Astonishing really considering that Hooker wasnt even the starter for the first 2 games so who knows what it would have been without Milton skewing the first few games.

Not happy about the defense but considering we had the worst team in UT history in 2020, the idea that a new coach could come in with a new QB out of the portal and put those kind of numbers up is really a pretty big deal. Dont know if JH can fix the D here but in spite of some of his mistakes in game day coaching, you cannot but say JH has got to be one of the top offensive minds in college football today.

Weren’t some of those previous records in years that we didn’t play 12 games?
Don't understand your point. We've been playing 12-game regular seasons for something like 15 years. If simply having 12 games were enough to break old records, it would've been done before now. So just adding an extra game must not be the key.

Not to mention, one of the records (fewest INTs) actually gets harder the more games you add, and another (passing efficiency) is independent of # of games, as an average.

Breaking 8 records like this is exceptional. Full stop. No caveat. No footnote.

JH checked the minimum boxes for me in Y1. Offense exciting. Won more than expected. Went to bowl game. Still abundant challenges, and only thing I think maybe we're "sub par" on is recruiting. Not totally dissatisfied, but will need higher level recruiting especially in the trenches to truly close the gap w/ top tier SEC teams....but know that takes time. That being said, alot to be excited about, which is not something we've been able to say too much the past 10+ years.

Reactions: hUTch2002
This reminds me of the seasons with Tyler Bray. Our offense seemed to move the ball with ease but our defense could not stop anybody during those seasons. That resulted in us not winning as many games as we should have. I believe you have to play complimentary football to be successful.

Our offense is in good hands and I expect them to continue to improve under Heupel. I believe Hooker's success was huge to show future QB recruits what Heupel could do for them too. However, for us to take the next step forward as a team we will have to improve the defense. I know Tennessee social media is pointing out all of these offensive records, which is fantastic in Year 1, but the defensive stats were horrendous. I know a lot of that was due to the speed of our offense, new system, and lack of depth. I am looking forward to what the future holds for Tennessee Football. I am excited where the program is headed. Go Vols!

This reminds me of the seasons with Tyler Bray. Our offense seemed to move the ball with ease but our defense could not stop anybody during those seasons. That resulted in us not winning as many games as we should have. I believe you have to play complimentary football to be successful.

Trying hard not to be that guy but "Thanks Butch" :p

These are truly interesting statistics when you consider that we played the two best teams in college football this season. And then when you figure on top of that that we had not even settled on hooker as our quarterback until three or four games into the season, it boggles the mind what these numbers could have looked like.

How we stacked up in those categories with other Power Five Programs: (data from ESPN and NCAA)

Total Yards: 9th Passing: 18th Rushing: 7th
TD's: 5th
PATs: Can't find that stat (would guess 5th or higher based on TDs being 67 as well)
1st downs: 11th
Rush 1st downs: 2nd. 2 tied 1st with 165, one more than UT, thus I don't consider us 3rd
Fewest INTs: T-1st
Passing Efficiency: 3rd behind OSU and UGA

TOTAL DEFENSE: 10th from the bottom. It was easier to count that way.

Could you imagine what we can do with just a decent defense? Go Vols!

The Roger Maris effect * ;)

But yeah I agree, It is impressive after the previous 3 abysmal years.
Man takes his talking dog to a talent competition. On stage the man asks, “Dog, what’s on the top of these houses.” Dog says, “Roof, roof, roof.” Audience groans. Man says, “Who holds the single season home run record?” Dog says “Roof, Ruth, Roof”. Audience boos and chases them off stage. Back stage, dog asks, “Should I have said Maris?”

...maybe it was funnier before Aaron and Bonds...

Somewhere in Oklahoma Eric Gray is questioning his inner circle and future NFL potential. Could of declared and made life changing money this year.

VN Store

Back