The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

Never he claimed he would big guy. šŸ˜‚. You should pay more attention to the arguments you drop in on.
"I believe that starts again this year with a 8 win season. It's going to be mostly because improved QB. Brian Maurer will be the QB to lead us back. "
Could be wrong but that sounds like you were saying we would get 8 wins this year and it would be because of better QB play, and Maurer would be that QB.

"I believe that starts again this year with a 8 win season. It's going to be mostly because improved QB. Brian Maurer will be the QB to lead us back. "
Could be wrong but that sounds like you were saying we would get 8 wins this year and it would be because of better QB play, and Maurer would be that QB.
Like I said..... pay more attention to the arguments you drop in on playboy. You just quoted Little vol and attached it to me but no harm no foul.

My quote was JT will POSSIBLY be named #2 regardless of who ā€œwinsā€ the job because thereā€™s much more to lose by BM losing a redshirt year.

Reactions: LittleVol
All you did was say people gave negative feedback and used people disagreeing with you as an excuse to justify your arrogance towards them.

And omg the irony, is this another example of me putting words in your mouth?

You really don't "hear yourself" do you?
It's one hypocritical accusation after another.
I asked you to compare the level of fan support to individual players of various rank coming out of HS. You refused to answer because if you answer honestly itā€™ll help defend my case against youā€™re accusations. Simple as that. But it doesnā€™t matter anyway. You donā€™t have to answer when we both know the answers. Right?

That was me Playboy šŸ˜šŸ˜˜.

Nobody was talking about Johnny Football either before his red-shirt freshman year.

Good times are coming!

Like I said..... pay more attention to the arguments you drop in on playboy. You just quoted Little vol and attached it to me but no harm no foul.

My quote was JT will POSSIBLY be named #2 regardless of who ā€œwinsā€ the job because thereā€™s much more to lose by BM losing a redshirt year.
Evidently this contest is not over yet

"Itā€™s worth noting that Chris Weinke and Chaney are certainly looking for their backup quarterback, as both J.T. Shrout and Brian Maurer were getting 2-3 more reps a piece than Jarrett Guarantano was and thereā€™s not physical issues or concerns with JG"

Evidently this contest is not over yet

"Itā€™s worth noting that Chris Weinke and Chaney are certainly looking for their backup quarterback, as both J.T. Shrout and Brian Maurer were getting 2-3 more reps a piece than Jarrett Guarantano was and thereā€™s not physical issues or concerns with JG"
I know itā€™s not over. This whole thing started because Charger didnā€™t like my thoughts on the possibility that JT may be #2 regardless of the outcome of the competition. It crossed my mind that if BM turns out to be the qb that heā€™s capable of being, then itā€™s not a stretch to think the coaches could be on the same page of thinking and would rather him be #3 in order to persevere his RS.

Thats not the first time i've read a post by either of you and mistaken one for the other.

That was me Playboy šŸ˜šŸ˜˜.

Nobody was talking about Johnny Football either before his red-shirt freshman year.

Good times are coming!
Nobody else is going to start while JG is healthy but I wonder who wins the starting job after JG leaves. Maurer or Bailey? It will be interesting to see that battle play out.

Reactions: k-town_king
Nobody else is going to start while JG is healthy but I wonder who wins the starting job after JG leaves. Maurer or Bailey? It will be interesting to see that battle play out.
I think it will be Bailey, too much talent to sit the bench. Maurer may turn out to be a stud but every thing about HB points to him being a starting QB in the SEC. He's not coming to TN to sit the bench for 3 years and play his RS Sr year.

Reactions: k-town_king
I think it will be Bailey, too much talent to sit the bench. Maurer may turn out to be a stud but every thing about HB points to him being a starting QB in the SEC. He's not coming to TN to sit the bench for 3 years and play his RS Sr year.

I agree. HB will start as a freshman...in the SEC

More important than who our QB will be is how our young DL progresses. The SEC is a LOS league. So, here's my prediction and analysis... last season we had a reasonably good defensive line and a not so good offensive line. This year it will flip and JG will light it up compared to last year and we will be able to run the ball better than we have in a while. BUT other teams will run it down our throat. With Gooden out we better hope Solomon gets eligible or we may have the highest rated defensive back field in the SEC...because no one will have to throw a forward pass to score. Hyperbole to make a point but my fear is weā€™re going to be so bad up front on defense weā€™ll have to score 40 to be in the game.

I agree. I think Bailey takes the starting job after JG is gone.

Thats not the first time i've read a post by either of you and mistaken one for the other.
Youā€™ve never heard me say Maurer should or will start at any point while JG is healthy and available. What you have heard me say is heā€™s the most athletic, most accurate and has highest ceiling.

Now THIS could be an interesting debate. I have to go Maurer even if Bailey is here. I agree Bailey is too good to ride pine but BM has a stronger arm and quicker feet. Accuracy is about a wash. Pocket presence is a wash but BM is able to escape. BM is also quicker through his progressions and doesnā€™t take as high risk of throws.

No reason for that to happen either, it may but he doesn't seem to be that type kid
Iā€™m sure his decision to come to UT had a lot to do underestimating both Maurer and Shrout. He may change his mind and transfer if/ when he learns just how underestimated BM was/is. Outside of a little size thereā€™s nothing BM canā€™t do just as well. But there are several things that Bailey canā€™t do that BM can. Nothing against Bailey but Maurer is just a harder qb to defend against.

Youā€™ve never heard me say Maurer should or will start at any point while JG is healthy and available. What you have heard me say is heā€™s the most athletic, most accurate and has highest ceiling.

You don't have to say it.

Everyone will remember very quickly why the QB position has been in doubt.

Some people would rather see the team lose just so their weird loyalties can be satisfied. Blame the O-line if they want! That is even more reason to play Maurer.

One likes to see himself as a QB. One IS a QB.

You don't have to say it.

Everyone will remember very quickly why the QB position has been in doubt.

Some people would rather see the team lose just so their weird loyalties can be satisfied. Blame the O-line if they want! That is even more reason to play Maurer.

One likes to see himself as a QB. One IS a QB.
I got a response yesterday morning about ints being the difference in winning and losing in the SEC. Although I agreed I thought about it later in the day. A DECENT defense will allow 10 points off of 3 turnovers average. A good one will allow 7. A great one 3. The reason Iā€™m being this up is Maurer will certainly create more turnovers than JG. But knowing heā€™s going to hang 3 (hypothetical)tds before he throws 1 int on most defenses makes me want to disagree because thatā€™s only about 3 points under a Pruitt driven defense.

I got a response yesterday morning about ints being the difference in winning and losing in the SEC. Although I agreed I thought about it later in the day. A DECENT defense will allow 10 points off of 3 turnovers average. A good one will allow 7. A great one 3. The reason Iā€™m being this up is Maurer will certainly create more turnovers than JG. But knowing heā€™s going to hang 3 (hypothetical)tds before he throws 1 int on most defenses makes me want to disagree because thatā€™s only about 3 points under a Pruitt driven defense.

Analytics are nice and all, but one thing they can't measure is team chemistry. I'm talking about an infectious, confident mindset that only grows as the team recreates a pattern of success over and over. From to play to play. To series to series.

This can work in reverse too. Play gets worse over time. Drew Richmond was a starter when Dobbs was here...
What happened to him?

I also pointed out in a post a few weeks back that winning 35-33 is better than losing 20-10.
It's great that he doesn't turn the ball over, but you have to play the position! You have to make the defense respect you by attacking them as a QB is supposed to do. And EVERY other position of offense is following their lead. Proactive vs Reactive.

Leading by your play on the field and making your cast better.

Everyone thought Peyton Manning had such a great supporting cast in college at WR. What did Kent do in the NFL? Nash? Only Peerless had a respectable NFL career. Copeland looked like he was All-SEC WR under Manning too. When T Martin became the starter though...his numbers dropped significantly. Peyton Manning made his offensive line better and WR's better. Which made the offense great! Which in turn made the defense play with a sense of confidence, knowing that their offense could put points back that they let go of. All of that started with Manning. The QB...

Analytics are nice and all, but one thing they can't measure is team chemistry. I'm talking about an infectious, confident mindset that only grows as the team recreates a pattern of success over and over. From to play to play. To series to series.

This can work in reverse too. Play gets worse over time. Drew Richmond was a starter when Dobbs was here...
What happened to him?

I also pointed out in a post a few weeks back that winning 35-33 is better than losing 20-10.
It's great that he doesn't turn the ball over, but you have to play the position! You have to make the defense respect you by attacking them as a QB is supposed to do. And EVERY other position of offense is following their lead. Proactive vs Reactive.

Leading by your play on the field and making your cast better.

Everyone thought Peyton Manning had such a great supporting cast in college at WR. What did Kent do in the NFL? Nash? Only Peerless had a respectable NFL career. Copeland looked like he was All-SEC WR under Manning too. When T Martin became the starter though...his numbers dropped significantly. Peyton Manning made his offensive line better and WR's better. Which made the offense great! Which in turn made the defense play with a sense of confidence, knowing that their offense could put points back that they let go of. All of that started with Manning. The QB...
Very well said. I couldnā€™t agree more. I do think JG will get better this year. Especially with the things several people have mentioned under a guy like Chaney. If we can see it he definitely can as well. If he doesnā€™t, I still donā€™t know that a change is made this year and if so, or JG gets hurt I think it all depends on what stage of the season it takes place. If itā€™s early I see them giving JT his due opportunity. If itā€™s late and thereā€™s still something to play for, it wouldnā€™t surprise me to see BM jump JT presuming the depth chart has JT at #2. Although RIGHT NOW Iā€™m not sold that BM is as ā€œreadyā€ as most would like him to be before he takes the field.
I do however believe that next year or definitely in 2021 Maurer flat out wins the job and becomes a breath of fresh air to many that doubt him now. If he happens to get on the field in 2019 I would be more shocked if he didnā€™t run away with it and cause a chain reaction of big decisions to follow.

VN Store

Back