The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

Time for the JG haters to go ballistic.

Advanced stats consistently show JG is much better than people realize and the O-line was much worse. It's why all the pipe dreams of a miracle QB who overtakes JG for the job are just that. JG has many things he needs to work on to become an elite QB, but he was one of our best players last season.

And sure, JG needs to make "quicker decisions", but the reason you think this is because he's constantly under pressure in a very short amount of time. No one would think that if he had Georgia or Bama's O-line. It's not even really the best criticism of JG. IMO, where JG struggles most is throwing on the run; he consistently underestimates how far the ball is going to fly when he throws on the run.

But overall, JG is the least of our problems. Fix the O-line. Fix the D-line. Add depth. Keep recruiting well. Develop players. Then we'll win. Unfortunately, I think we're probably at least a year away on the lines.

53 people liked this post..................................................................

I think it's "right" to try and support whoever coach chooses as the starter. Have to back him if he's in there.

Just a thought though: at one point, did we start to care more about analytics and performance metrics stats, than the most purest stat of all - winning and losing -?

All I can say is, remember why you became of fan of Tennessee Football. "A winning tradition"

I believe that starts again this year with a 8 win season. It's going to be mostly because improved QB. Brian Maurer will be the QB to lead us back.

53 people liked this post..................................................................

I think it's "right" to try and support whoever coach chooses as the starter. Have to back him if he's in there.

Just a thought though: at one point, did we start to care more about analytics and performance metrics stats, than the most purest stat of all - winning and losing -?

All I can say is, remember why you became of fan of Tennessee Football. "A winning tradition"

I believe that starts again this year with a 8 win season. It's going to be mostly because improved QB. Brian Maurer will be the QB to lead us back.
When it became painfully obvious UT was sold a bill of goods in regards to landing the best dual threat QB in the nation thus resorting to cherry picking a few analytics as a coping mechanism.

Reactions: Steven5198

You and FLvol should make your own threads

It's called the debate thread..

Not the "agree" thread.
What’s funny is you would have a lot more supporters in your opinion if the services payed more attention to what they get paid for. If he were a mid to high 4* or a 5* your opinion would actually be the popular one.

Not JG related but QB related. Will probably repost in next practice thread, where more read but relevant enough for here.

Way too soon to really have this conversation, but you can see Shrout has a huge arm. Just as big, if not bigger than Guarantano’s.
That’s a small part of the position, but he can really sling it. At this point in camp, you have to give Shrout the advantage based on his experience and having almost a full year longer to learn than Maurer. Maurer also definitely needs to add some weight. Guarantano looks like a college quarterback. Maurer still looks like a high school quarterback. Shrout is kind of in the middle.

We haven’t heard anything really since Maurer arrived about the status of the competition.
Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney was just kind of teaching the offense this spring; it didn’t sound like the competition had really started in earnest. And the Vols have had only two practices in pads at this point.
To circle back to the bottom line of your question, I’d say Shrout has the narrow edge in what’s still a wide-open competition based solely on his “experience.”
Ubben

The Auburn game from last season is on SEC Network and JG looks great the 1st half. 5 or 6 big time throws, a couple of run audibles and a great blitz recognition on the TD pass to Chandler.

Alright.... let me start by telling you I’ve gained respect for the way you post. You never seem to come AT anyone BUT when it comes to me you seem to take more than just a jab. I’ll be the first to tell you I don’t like it when I see someone twisting someone else’s words, degrading their opinions, putting words in their mouth or attempt to start “rumors” by painting them into something they are not. So I damn sure don’t like it done to me and that’s where you pissed me off. I’m a grown mature man, not some teenaged girl and that’s the kind of crap that reminds me of such. Treat me with respect and I’ll do the same.

As for my condescending lectures you talk about I’m not sure what you mean. I offered a reasonable suggestion of possibility and nothing more before yourself and Butchna escalated it.

If you’ve ever felt lectured I apologize. My intentions are never ill. I’ve been a OC and qb coach since mid 2000s and sometimes I may try and point out things that others may not see. Which may explain the “wild things” I suggest sometimes but I assure you when it comes to qbs I’m no dummy regardless of how it may sound.
If you'll go back to me "putting words in your mouth" you might notice a question mark, not a statement.

You constantly talk down when speaking, like everyone is ignorant and only understands rankings. You suggest that's what everyone is doing, repeatedly.
Though no one even mentions them but you in every other post.

Along with your need to tell everyone what they're seeing on the field because apparently, once again, we wouldn't know.

You're continous use of "level with yourself" etc.. because it never once crossed your mind that maybe you're opinion isn't automatically the correct one.

And truly nothing personal but I don't really care what pissed you off. Because the above tone and phrases..., you've been using for months, way before anyone escalated anything tonight.

So yeah
Treat me with respect and I’ll do the same.
Why don't at least consider how your *explanations* come across to everyone else, then think about this line again.

If you'll go back to me "putting words in your mouth" you might notice a question mark, not a statement.

You constantly talk down when speaking, like everyone is ignorant and only understands rankings. You suggest that's what everyone is doing, repeatedly.

Along with your need to tell everyone what they're seeing on the field because apparently, once again, we wouldn't know.

You're continous use of "level with yourself" etc.. because it never once crossed your mind that maybe you're opinion isn't automatically the correct one.

And truly nothing personal but I don't really care what pissed you off. Because the above tone and phrases..., you've been using for months, way before anyone escalated anything tonight.

So yeah

Why don't at least consider how your *explanations* come across to everyone else, then think about this line again.
You’ve been around a while. I don’t think I need to post a list of blue chip busts that have come through UT because it’s a long one. But I bet you remember how excited people were for every one of them coming in don’t you?

Shortly after the spring game someone posted a thread that Brian Maurer will be the starter by season end. Remember that one? Tell me.... how positive was the feed back that OP got? Over all not very pretty. I know you’re going say “he threw 2 ints!” But tell me how many comments were made about Wanya Morris getting pancaked several times in the same game in ANY thread? Maybe a handful of times with very little response?

How excited were we to get Darnell Wright? Now compare that to How excited were we to get Means? While we’re on this subject how about comparing the support of Brian Maurer on his thread to the support of Harrison Bailey on his. You’ve watched both of their highlights I’m sure but I still have yet to find anyone that admits they see HB throwing into dbl and triple coverage on a constant basis. Something you don’t see a lot of with BM but somehow HB is the “more polished” passer?

You want to know why I can’t stand the services and why I think most (not all) concentrate on rank rather than skill set? Because it’s in your face as well as mine everyday.

And let me ask you something charger. Have you ever personally witnessed the process of a recruit and the politics that come with it? I’m going to guess not because you wouldn’t be so upset at someone that has if you’d seen it for yourself.

Whats funny is that you're serious. You legit think Maurer is gonna take JGs job. Whats even more amusing is the fact that Maurer won't even be the backup. Shrout is gonna be the backup QB.

So yeah

I just LOL at pretty much everything he says these days.
I wonder what Behr thinks about all this?
Reveal yourself, Behr! I summon thee!

Reactions: chargervol
Never he claimed he would big guy. 😂. You should pay more attention to the arguments you drop in on.

You’ve been around a while. I don’t think I need to post a list of blue chip busts that have come through UT because it’s a long one. But I bet you remember how excited people were for every one of them coming in don’t you?

Shortly after the spring game someone posted a thread that Brian Maurer will be the starter by season end. Remember that one? Tell me.... how positive was the feed back that OP got? Over all not very pretty. I know you’re going say “he threw 2 ints!” But tell me how many comments were made about Wanya Morris getting pancaked several times in the same game in ANY thread? Maybe a handful of times with very little response?

How excited were we to get Darnell Wright? Now compare that to How excited were we to get Means? While we’re on this subject how about comparing the support of Brian Maurer on his thread to the support of Harrison Bailey on his. You’ve watched both of their highlights I’m sure but I still have yet to find anyone that admits they see HB throwing into dbl and triple coverage on a constant basis. Something you don’t see a lot of with BM but somehow HB is the “more polished” passer?

You want to know why I can’t stand the services and why I think most (not all) concentrate on rank rather than skill set? Because it’s in your face as well as mine everyday.

And let me ask you something charger. Have you ever personally witnessed the process of a recruit and the politics that come with it? I’m going to guess not because you wouldn’t be so upset at someone that has if you’d seen it for yourself.
None of this has anything to do with what I said??

I'm sorry there's people that disagree with you but that's what happens here. Doesn't give you the right to assume they're ignorant and only look at rankings. I know how underrated BM was because, like most, I actually watch the throws and games. Doesn't mean everyone will agree.

Stop, assuming and you might find they listen instead of getting defensive.

Reactions: butchna

Hey speaking of me missing things, did I miss you explaining who you are? I've been meaning to ask, but I thought I'd be able to piece it together without having to ask.

I noticed you've said you've been to a few practices and I've seen you say things before like the above. The politics of recruiting and you seem to know more than most of us about the recruiting services and evaluation of QB's etc.

What's the deal?

None of this has anything to do with what I said??

I'm sorry there's people that disagree with you but that's what happens here. Doesn't give you the right to assume they're ignorant and only look at rankings. I know how underrated BM was because, like most, I actually watch the throws and games. Doesn't mean everyone will agree.

Stop, assuming and you might find they listen instead of getting defensive.
It has everything to do with what you said. You brought it up and I answered the subject. If you can’t or don’t want to answer the questions I asked then stop assuming I’m talking down to anyone because you know as well as I do every question asked has a backbone to prove your assumptions wrong. It’s a fact that people look at rank and back it. You do as well just as I do to a certain extent.

It has everything to do with what you said. You brought it up and I answered the subject. If you can’t or don’t want to answer the questions I asked then stop assuming I’m talking down to anyone because you know as well as I do every question asked has a backbone to prove your assumptions wrong. It’s a fact that people look at rank and back it. You do as well just as I do to a certain extent.
All you did was say people gave negative feedback and used people disagreeing with you as an excuse to justify your arrogance towards them.

And omg the irony, is this another example of me putting words in your mouth?
I know you’re going say “he threw 2 ints!

You really don't "hear yourself" do you?
It's one hypocritical accusation after another.

Last edited:
@Behr ...this gif feels appropriate :)
WatchfulCaringAmurminnow-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: chargervol and Behr
Hey speaking of me missing things, did I miss you explaining who you are? I've been meaning to ask, but I thought I'd be able to piece it together without having to ask.

I noticed you've said you've been to a few practices and I've seen you say things before like the above. The politics of recruiting and you seem to know more than most of us about the recruiting services and evaluation of QB's etc.

What's the deal?
Knowing who I am won’t change the way some are if they disagree or agree with me so I’ve never explained in any kind of detail. So you didn’t miss anything really outside of maybe me being a qb coach since mid 2000s. I don’t advertise it but I finally mentioned it once. I have credentials that allow me into certain things that may be closed to the public on occasion as well. But once again that’s not important. I don’t like people calling me a liar so I keep some things to myself.

VN Store

Back