7. Jake Bentley
  8. Jarret Guarantano
  9. Keytaon Thompson
  10. Matt Corral
  11. Joey Gatewood
  12. Terry Wilson
  13. Ben Hicks
  14. Riley Neal

That's pretty much where I expected him to be given the attrition at QB in the conference.

Aren’t the majority of those QBs below him new besides Terry Wilson? That says a lot.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
View attachment 208539
So, 8th best SEC QB on what was the 13th best SEC team last year.....and 35th best starting QB out of 130 in D1 football.

Like so many of us have said about JG regarding his play last year....not a great QB, still needs to improve some parts of his game, but much better than his Vol fan critics give him credit for and a guy who can help the Vols win a lot of games if the players around him, especially in front of him, get much better.

Finally, wonder what other players we have on the roster who will be ranked 35th best in the nation at their respective positions.
DEO99osXkAIl8TD.jpg

View attachment 208539
So, 8th best SEC QB on what was the 13th best SEC team last year.....and 35th best starting QB out of 130 in D1 football.

Like so many of us have said about JG regarding his play last year....not a great QB, still needs to improve some parts of his game, but much better than his Vol fan critics give him credit for and a guy who can help the Vols win a lot of games if the players around him, especially in front of him, get much better.

Finally, wonder what other players we have on the roster who will be ranked 35th best in the nation at their respective positions.

So 2nd lowest ranked returning QB is what it’s saying.

FL will be tough but I don't think they are that much farther ahead than us like the media is portraying it to be. We turned the ball over 7 times that game and still outgained them yardage wise and held them to less yards on defense. The mental factor sets in Everytime we play them. I think Miss St. Will take a slight step back this year and Missouri will be a challenge.
This mental factor you refer to has mostly been from Botch Jones absolutely throwing 2-3 FL games away from his idiocy. FL is overrated this preseason no way top ten. We may even be ranked higher than them if KY steals another. FL I put at about 19.
And I think we will take it to Missu and put them in their place with Vandy. We actually have a little depth finally for easier end of season games.

“According to Pro Football Focus, Guarantano was sacked six times in less than 2.5 seconds from the snap, the most in the SEC. His “average time to throw” was 2.35 seconds, the quickest in the SEC. That all shows just how quickly Guarantano can get rid of the ball and still make plays.”
It shows me he is tough. Also shows me that is exactly why we crapped the bed towards the end of the season. New O Coordinator and probably 3 5 star linemen with Trey Smith and stud recruits with no one really lost. We are in the money this season. 8 wins solid, could be 9 look out!

They all have better OLs
And/or those QB's make better decisions and reads taking pressure off their OL.

Again, you all try to lay 100% of the blame on the OL. JG had issues that contributed to the problems. His ranking in these pre-season rags isn't unfair. He has problems. But you also have to factor in OL expectations. They contributed to his problems.

BOTH the OL and JG need to improve significantly for UT to improve from being probably the worst overall O in the SEC.

Reactions: cbatey1
And/or those QB's make better decisions and reads taking pressure off their OL.

Again, you all try to lay 100% of the blame on the OL. JG had issues that contributed to the problems. His ranking in these pre-season rags isn't unfair. He has problems. But you also have to factor in OL expectations. They contributed to his problems.

BOTH the OL and JG need to improve significantly for UT to improve from being probably the worst overall O in the SEC.
Lmao. You are persistent. Wrong or not.

Even though you know for a fact he didn't make the line reads and calls you say he didn't do them well. Hard to make the right read at the line when you aren't the one doing that job.

The rankings are fair.He has been anywhere from 2-8. Sounds about right after Tua. Pff, which is based on actual data and is the most respected analysis site, has him second in the SEC.

Even though you know for a fact he didn't make the line reads and calls you say he didn't do them well. Hard to make the right read at the line when you aren't the one doing that job.

The rankings are fair.He has been anywhere from 2-8. Sounds about right after Tua. Pff, which is based on actual data and is the most respected analysis site, has him second in the SEC.
Ive been watching you 2 go back and forth for quite a while now. Ive read nearly every post. I have nothing against JG nor do I think he does. But he is not wrong. Neither are you. I think he's actually being extremely fair. The blame doesn't belong to just one side or the other. They're are issues that the o line can't fix until JG fixes his. They're are also issues that JG can't fix until the o line fixes theirs. From what I've read that's been his point all along.

Reactions: OJ and sjt18

Even though you know for a fact he didn't make the line reads and calls you say he didn't do them well.
Is it intentional or are you really that dense? If a QB cannot make coverage reads both pre and post snap then he has no business starting for any college program that uses the forward pass. That is NOT THE SAME as making audibles at the line... which he was responsible for some of those too (ever notice him signaling the RB behind his back? Most CFB O's ask their QB to make the OL calls. Dobbs did it all the time. Dormady did it. I believe JG did it at least some... and if he was not asked to do so then that HURTS your claims.

He does not appear to be changing plays... which again doesn't help your claim that he's a master of every skill a college QB can or should master.

Hard to make the right read at the line when you aren't the one doing that job.
If you really don't know any more about football than that... you really shouldn't comment much less argue with anyone who knows a little bit. QB's have to read coverage and pressure before the snap and after. That's how they decide where to go with the ball and how much time they have to get it off. It is a fundamental, basic QB task.

Yeah. As someone else said... that's the way you NEED to view it to perpetuate your cult delusions.

Have you guys ever paid attention to JG's footwork when he's passing? All his passes seem to be thrown off his back foot. I know Peyton used to be called, "Happy Feet", because he was always on his toes, feet shoulder length apart, while scanning the field. JG tends to be too wide with his feet from the time he sets up to throw. His long, down field throws, are mostly all thrown with his weight on his back foot, causing him not to be able to step in to throws. They wind up being jump balls for his receivers, instead of leading them down field for a TD. He also almost never steps up into the pocket, while I know he hasn't always had time to step up, as a QB I thought that was one of the first things they were taught as a player. I happened to be at the Missouri game last year, and as my grandsons and I were watching the game. I watched JG come to the line, while a OLB or DE was inching up to the line. On the snap he never glanced that way or stepped up into the pocket, allowing that same guy to almost behead him, knocking him out of the game. As good a player as I think he is, I just don't understand the small things that he doesn't do, may be keeping him from being in the talk for top QB's in the league. What do you guys with much more knowledge than I, have to say about this? As always, GBO!

Well, hopefully this year we can provide JG a pocket consistently that he could actually step up into should he so choose. I agree he doesnt seem to pick up on rushing defenders or blitz cues, but I'm not sure if that was lack of smarts, lack of film room /proper film study, or QB development (or combination). Hoping that Chaney and Weinke will fix that or at least help that. Peyton and Dobbs certainly spoiled us with their intelligence and film study and being able to read pre snap defenses. As far as the feet, I'd like to chalk that up to JG being "antsy" playing behind the swiss cheese line last year, basically not getting set and trying to get rid of the ball quickly.....but someone with more football knowledge than I will probably have a different and correct diagnosis than I.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Have you guys ever paid attention to JG's footwork when he's passing? All his passes seem to be thrown off his back foot. I know Peyton used to be called, "Happy Feet", because he was always on his toes, feet shoulder length apart, while scanning the field. JG tends to be too wide with his feet from the time he sets up to throw. His long, down field throws, are mostly all thrown with his weight on his back foot, causing him not to be able to step in to throws. They wind up being jump balls for his receivers, instead of leading them down field for a TD. He also almost never steps up into the pocket, while I know he hasn't always had time to step up, as a QB I thought that was one of the first things they were taught as a player. I happened to be at the Missouri game last year, and as my grandsons and I were watching the game. I watched JG come to the line, while a OLB or DE was inching up to the line. On the snap he never glanced that way or stepped up into the pocket, allowing that same guy to almost behead him, knocking him out of the game. As good a player as I think he is, I just don't understand the small things that he doesn't do, may be keeping him from being in the talk for top QB's in the league. What do you guys with much more knowledge than I, have to say about this? As always, GBO!

I thought qbs began a pass with more weight on the back foot and then transferred or “stepped through” the pass for accuracy and distance.

He seemed to step through when he has time, maybe I’m wrong. It’s a new season, hopefully this one will be worth remembering.

I thought qbs began a pass with more weight on the back foot and then transferred or “stepped through” the pass for accuracy and distance.

He seemed to step through when he has time, maybe I’m wrong. It’s a new season, hopefully this one will be worth remembering.

The worrisome thing is when he did have time, he still throws a jump ball .

VN Store

Back