The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

I guess, besides the Auburn game, all I recall was underthrown passes, or defended passes.

I recall some pretty decent passes, some jump balls and some complete trash. I’ll agree that 33% decent passes won’t get it done.
Would you say that 66% of the time JG had good protection?

Watch how fast his "footwork" improves if he's not running for his life this year.

Watch how his footwork "doesn't improve" when he, once again, is running for his life on any 5 step drop or shot gun snap.

Funny how that works

Not disagreeing with your point, but I would’ve liked to see JG “run for his life” a bit more (aka scramble or tuck it and run). Maybe he was instructed not to run, but he was typically very immobile and played like a statue.

Watch how fast his "footwork" improves if he's not running for his life this year.

Watch how his footwork "doesn't improve" when he, once again, is running for his life on any 5 step drop or shot gun snap.

Funny how that works
Watch how much better the OL looks if he learns to see pressure and get the ball out quicker. Watch and see how much better the OL looks if he learns to hit receivers in voids left by blitzers.

He could manage the pocket a little better too.

You aren't wrong. Improvements in the OL will make JG look better and maybe cover some of his weaknesses. Likewise, if he improves he'll make the OL look better and cover some of their weaknesses. Both had issues last year... not just the OL.

I’ll keep saying it: JG is not a legit SEC QB. It’s really that simple. He was the #1 DUAL threat QB - a class that included Jalen Hurts - and he moves like he’s wearing concrete boots. You can deal with some footwork issues from a mobile QB who provides you another option in the offense, but he clearly doesn’t offer that option. He can’t read defenses and hasn’t hit a hot route yet. He does get up after getting sacked, so I guess it’s not a total loss, but that is a pretty low bar.

Have you guys ever paid attention to JG's footwork when he's passing? All his passes seem to be thrown off his back foot. I know Peyton used to be called, "Happy Feet", because he was always on his toes, feet shoulder length apart, while scanning the field. JG tends to be too wide with his feet from the time he sets up to throw. His long, down field throws, are mostly all thrown with his weight on his back foot, causing him not to be able to step in to throws. They wind up being jump balls for his receivers, instead of leading them down field for a TD. He also almost never steps up into the pocket, while I know he hasn't always had time to step up, as a QB I thought that was one of the first things they were taught as a player. I happened to be at the Missouri game last year, and as my grandsons and I were watching the game. I watched JG come to the line, while a OLB or DE was inching up to the line. On the snap he never glanced that way or stepped up into the pocket, allowing that same guy to almost behead him, knocking him out of the game. As good a player as I think he is, I just don't understand the small things that he doesn't do, may be keeping him from being in the talk for top QB's in the league. What do you guys with much more knowledge than I, have to say about this? As always, GBO!

Peyton was slow...slower than JG, but was more elusive and effective than JG because of his happy feet...

Sometimes, buying enough time to throw it away, is a winning play for a QB and the team...

Moving around in or out of the pocket is a weakness of JG’s..

Rarely was there clean pockets to throw out of in his defense, but he’s never going to attain that next level without better footwork and pocket presence.

Those happy feet made Peyton stay on his toes. It was mocked, but he knew what and why he was doing it. Practiced it everyday for 22+ years.

As for JG, your right. Dude has an ARM to be able to get those throws downfield off his back foot. Imagine what he will do with better line, coaching, and mechanics. The raw talent is there

Funny how that works
Problem is he didn't run for his life. He stood there like a tackling dummy.

That's because he has been getting hammered by the defensive line every time he drops back to pass.
As I said in the post, I had my grandsons with me at the Missouri game, one witch is a high school QB and he noticed JG pre-snap looking at the guy inching up. On the snap, he never looked that direction again, but instead locked in on the receivers on the right. That's when my grandson, his name is Payton, named after the basketball though, stated that he should have anticipated that pressure. GBO!

Reactions: 08Vol
As I said in the post, I had my grandsons with me at the Missouri game, one witch is a high school QB and he noticed JG pre-snap looking at the guy inching up. On the snap, he never looked that direction again, but instead locked in on the receivers on the right. That's when my grandson, his name is Payton, named after the basketball though, stated that he should have anticipated that pressure. GBO!
We all know those high school players and coaches are seeing things JG and the actual professional coaches don't. 🙃🙃🙃

I often agree with Jeopardy answers after they are revealed...doesn’t make me Nostradamus.

Edit: Poor form on my end. I’m sure your grandson was correct in his evaluation. I’ll leave the comment up and take the heat for being a ****

Last edited:
I happened to be sitting right behind the home goal post on the sack/FF/ int last yr against Florida. I seen it coming presnap so I understand the concern and I'm sure the coaches have noticed and working on it with him. I haven't noticed many issues with his footwork though and knowing that you don't have that great of an o line can definitely give you happy feet if you're not one that can "feel" it coming. I expect to see an improvement in JG this season. The spring game was a good teaching tool for him. The only difference in his first 4 drives vs the rest was simply delivering the ball on time.

Reactions: 08Vol
Yay, another “let’s bash JG” thread. Well done, pretty much sent out the bat signal for the usuals to, once again, tell us how much he can’t do anything right. Congrats.

Reactions: k-town_king
Have you guys ever paid attention to JG's footwork when he's passing? All his passes seem to be thrown off his back foot. I know Peyton used to be called, "Happy Feet", because he was always on his toes, feet shoulder length apart, while scanning the field. JG tends to be too wide with his feet from the time he sets up to throw. His long, down field throws, are mostly all thrown with his weight on his back foot, causing him not to be able to step in to throws. They wind up being jump balls for his receivers, instead of leading them down field for a TD. He also almost never steps up into the pocket, while I know he hasn't always had time to step up, as a QB I thought that was one of the first things they were taught as a player. I happened to be at the Missouri game last year, and as my grandsons and I were watching the game. I watched JG come to the line, while a OLB or DE was inching up to the line. On the snap he never glanced that way or stepped up into the pocket, allowing that same guy to almost behead him, knocking him out of the game. As good a player as I think he is, I just don't understand the small things that he doesn't do, may be keeping him from being in the talk for top QB's in the league. What do you guys with much more knowledge than I, have to say about this? As always, GBO!
He goes from 0-5mph in about 8 seconds

VN Store

Back