The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

I've heard that "bought in" thing often enough to be pretty cynical about it.

I like Pruitt. I think at a minimum the players left if he gets fired will be coached up in the right way. That could set someone else up well.

The same was sad about Butch's recruiting during 2015 and 2016 when the lack of player development became glaringly apparent. We really just need Pruitt to succeed, there's no guarantee that the next guy would have it easier because of him at this point.

Reactions: jakez4ut and sjt18
I've heard that "bought in" thing often enough to be pretty cynical about it.

I like Pruitt. I think at a minimum the players left if he gets fired will be coached up in the right way. That could set someone else up well.
So ur saying Pruitt will eventually be fired....

Reactions: Mccage
Like I said in another post, if we get thoroughly dominated on both sides of the ball by Mizzou and Vandy again, then stick a fork in the UT football program because it will be done.
I am buying a win vs Candy. Missouri is iffy.......to say the least.

So ur saying Pruitt will eventually be fired....
No. I'm saying that he has proven he is a very good coach of the game when it comes to player development. Being an HC is a lot more than that. If he fails at the other part, I think the next coach would then be set up better than Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, or Pruitt have been.

Reactions: tbh and jakez4ut
The reason I brought up the bought in statement was based off what Phillips and Tuttle said. Hopefully the guys and coaches all do their jobs and live up to their potential. If that happens,I think there is a good chance for a surprising season.
I wasn't trying to poke you. I understood what you were saying. We've both seen and heard this before though. I want to believe it.... but right now it is just words.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I am buying a win vs Candy. Missouri is iffy.......to say the least.

I think Mizzou either wins big or loses big. I don't think they are middle of the pack. Could see them getting 8-9 wins in regular season or getting 7-8 losses. Kelly Bryant is x factor.

Reactions: kbear01
I think Mizzou either wins big or loses big. I don't think they are middle of the pack. Could see them getting 8-9 wins in regular season or getting 7-8 losses. Kelly Bryant is x factor.
Agreed. So many questions to be answered at QB for Missouri. Historically, they beat UF one week, and get hammered by Ole Miss or Arkansas the next. I'd could never bet on The Tigers.

Kelly Bryant is not that good and they are on probation, I think Mizzou will be downright awful by the end of the season.

Kelly Bryant is not that good and they are on probation, I think Mizzou will be downright awful by the end of the season.

How exactly is the NCAA punishment handed down to them going to affect their play during the 2019 season?

Are you hoping the one year post-season ban will make them so despondent about not being able to go to a bowl game that the entire team will play poorly all season?

Reactions: FLVOL_79
He can play. Finally in the right system with a good staff and an improved line. For those of you afraid to be optimistic, get ready.

Lol, this does not fit the narrative of our NegaVols!! JG is progressing right on schedule. The next 2 years with him at the controls looks very promising to me.

Don't kid yourself, the only reason you are championing a list that has Charlie Brewer and D'Eriq King above Tua and Trevor Lawrence is because JG is on it as well.

I may be reaching / wishing, but the Auburn and Kentucky games give me hope. Our game plans were great against those teams and the players seemed to execute well most of the time. We seemed to have a pretty good game plan against Georgia, but the ball didn't bounce our way a few times and we were just handled physically. SC again, good game plan, but Pruitt is a newb head coach and didn't call time out on the goal line fumble. Who's to say we didn't have a good plan against Florida as well, but they just exploited the crap out of our O-line and blew up any chance of competing early.

I can't explain Mizzou and Vandy, so they're anomalies... unless it happens again.

Also, on the goal line fumble against SC, that post game presser was the one time I felt like Pruitt really dropped the ball. He should have owned up to that, but instead said something about not being able to challenge plays. Everyone knows you call time out and give them more time to review it. There was an angle on camera where the ball was clearly out, and he even said he could see it clearly from the sideline.

This was brought from the article by another poster. Not my answer, just what they said.

On every play, a PFF analyst will grade each player on a scale of -2 to +2 according to what he did on the play.

Screenshot-4601.png

PERFORMANCE VS PRODUCTION
We aren’t grading players based on the yardage they rack up or the stats they collect. Statistics can be indicative of performance but don’t tell the whole story and can often lie badly. Quarterbacks can throw the ball straight to defenders but if the ball is dropped, you won't see it on the stat sheet
Conversely, they can dump the ball off on a sequence of screen passes and end up with a gaudy looking stat line if those skill position players do enough work after the catch.

PFF grades the play, not its result, so the quarterback that throws the ball to defenders will be downgraded whether the defender catches the ball to notch the interception on the stat sheet or not. No amount of broken tackles and yards after the catch from a bubble screen will earn a quarterback a better grade, even though his passing stats may be getting padded.
This is an interesting take on QB performance. I like that the performance of the QB is the primary focus and not the result of the play. That being said, JG being ranked highly on this list is not a good thing or a bad thing IMHO. The fact that he can hit a receiver on a bubble screen and make the completion gives him points in the positive column, but there is not a detraction from his score if there was a wide open man in the seam or a receiver that burned a corner that JG didn't see. This just shows that he doesn't throw interceptions and has a decent completion percentage. I am not saying that he is a bad QB, but I cannot advocate on his behalf based in this metric alone. There were plenty of times that JG didn't read the defense and make adjustments that could have resulted in more chunk plays. He also didn't work through his progression that well and dumped the ball early with an easy completion and missed open receivers downfield.

Again, I am not against JG. I just don't think that this particular metric tells the entire story and presents a somewhat one sided set of stats that make him look better. Anyone who watched college football last year knows that Jake Fromm, Joe Burrow, and Kellen Mond played better than JG in 2018. I hope that he comes out on fire this year with Tee Martin working with him running Jim Chaney's offense behind a much improved offensive line... I just don't think that he deserves too much credit from last year outside of his toughness and leadership that in my opinion are above reproach.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
5EBA27E7-886E-4C7C-9B27-32B01B155ECF.png
So, 8th best SEC QB on what was the 13th best SEC team last year.....and 35th best starting QB out of 130 in D1 football.

Like so many of us have said about JG regarding his play last year....not a great QB, still needs to improve some parts of his game, but much better than his Vol fan critics give him credit for and a guy who can help the Vols win a lot of games if the players around him, especially in front of him, get much better.

Finally, wonder what other players we have on the roster who will be ranked 35th best in the nation at their respective positions.

Reactions: k-town_king
View attachment 208539
So, 8th best SEC QB on what was the 13th best SEC team last year.....and 35th best starting QB out of 130 in D1 football.

Like so many of us have said about JG regarding his play last year....not a great QB, still needs to improve some parts of his game, but much better than his Vol fan critics give him credit for and a guy who can help the Vols win a lot of games if the players around him, especially in front of him, get much better.

Finally, wonder what other players we have on the roster who will be ranked 35th best in the nation at their respective positions.

Athlon SEC Rankings:
  1. Tua Tagovailoa
  2. Jake Fromm
  3. Kellen Mond
  4. Felipe Franks
  5. Kelly Bryant
  6. Joe Burrow
  7. Jake Bentley
  8. Jarret Guarantano
  9. Keytaon Thompson
  10. Matt Corral
  11. Joey Gatewood
  12. Terry Wilson
  13. Ben Hicks
  14. Riley Neal

That's pretty much where I expected him to be given the attrition at QB in the conference.

VN Store

Back