The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

Unless he gets solid offensive line play in front of him, few of his improvements will matter. However, it is encouraging to see the specific feedback about where/how JG has gotten better. I am anxious to see tangible results this season.

That oline is not great by any stretch, but they were far worse at run blocking than they were pass protection. Watch that video all the way through, and count the seconds after snap. You are going to be sorely disappointed if you enter into the 2019 season believing that the offensive line is the only thing holding back the offense.

Last edited:

That oline is not great by any stretch, but they were far worse at run blocking than they were pass protection. Watch that video all the way through, and count the seconds after snap. You are going to be sorely disappointed if you enter into the 2019 season believing that the offensive line is the only holding back the offense.

For an example of a poor pre-snap read, folks can go to the 1:55 mark of the video. JG locks in on 4 when a WR from the left has one on one soft coverage on a drag route. If he had chosen that receiver and thrown at his break... it would have been an easy completion and 1st down.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
So a coach says a player has improved and the response is "I'll believe it when I see it." So the coach is a liar and you will make that determination. You can't make this stuff up. Now, watch the defensiveness.
Cmon man. You can believe what you want but to act like the guy who is getting paid specifically to coach JG isn't going to say he got better regardless of the truth is laughable.

Reactions: T-TownVol
For an example of a poor pre-snap read, folks can go to the 1:55 mark of the video. JG locks in on 4 when a WR from the left has one on one soft coverage on a drag route. If he had chosen that receiver and thrown at his break... it would have been an easy completion and 1st down.
There are definitely a lot of times where he made the wrong decision on throws or hesitated in that video. I also noticed many of the plays were either took too long to setup or were very jumbled and not fluid in that video. Nearly all of the throws to the running backs were slow developing and by the time the ball was thrown the running back was tackled. I also noticed that in a lot of plays, JG was in the shotgun, but had to take another 5 or more step drop when he got the ball because the offensive line was coming back that far before he could even start scanning the field. That amount of time doesn't help and it pushes him further back to try and make a throw.

The OL did have break downs. There were a FEW plays where there was a jail break. Those improved. There were others where the OL's were just physically manhandled. Those improved but much less.

That said, JG made them look worse than they were because he was TOO SLOW getting the ball out and was not effective throwing quick, anticipation passes. ALL QB's are faced with pressure. Some deal with it well. He didn't.

But I guess to some of you... throwing the OL under the bus unreasonably is OK so long as all criticism is deflected from JG.
Seems as if I have read this same post from you about 1,000 times. We get it; you don't like JG as a QB and likely never will, even if he is ends up in the top three rated QB 9 the SEC.

Reactions: k-town_king
From the 24/7 Article

Racioppi said he’s worked with Guarantano some this summer, too, and that he’s seen a different player from the one he worked with five months ago.

“I think, No. 1, his footwork’s definitely a little cleaner,” Racioppi said. “His throwing sequence is a lot cleaner. He’s doing a much better job of closing his shoulder when he’s stepping — which, you know, lets our hips be our main power source and lets our elbow get up so we’re more consistent and more accurate with the ball. And the second thing is, honestly, and I see this all the time with scholarship kids, they all have strong arms. That’s why they're scholarship kids. You know, Tennessee’s not gonna offer a kid that can’t throw the ball hard. But as they get older, they learn how to throw the ball, how to layer the ball over people, like second-level throws like digs and curls and deep over routes. It’s how to be a passer.

“A lot of times they go to college as throwers, and the ones that play and play well are the ones that develop into being passers, so they’re able to not just throw the ball hard and through windows, but they can get the ball over the top of people and throw the ball with touch and throw the ball to some spots and make the second- and third-level throws as accurate as those first-level throws and the ability to change the tempo of the footballs. I’ve seen that a ton.

"Like I said, he can throw with anybody, but it’s the ability to throw the ball kind of with a little touch and the ability to get the ball to people and leading people and throwing the ball to spots on time, he’s gotten much better at that.”

This is great and I really REALLY hope JG takes that next step this year but candidly, my concern is if our line can keep JG from playing off his back. Even so, the more Chaney can get JG connecting to spread the field, that should help take some pressure off the box. I think JG wasnt rated #1 in the country for no reason and hopefully now that he has been under some good coaching, it is going to show out. We arent exactly WRU anymore but we will have some good targets for him this year. I have confidence that Chaney's play design and deep knowledge of SEC play, will pay benefits this year.

but will he get rid of the ball?

-signed mouthbreather

There are definitely a lot of times where he made the wrong decision on throws or hesitated in that video. I also noticed many of the plays were either took too long to setup or were very jumbled and not fluid in that video. Nearly all of the throws to the running backs were slow developing and by the time the ball was thrown the running back was tackled. I also noticed that in a lot of plays, JG was in the shotgun, but had to take another 5 or more step drop when he got the ball because the offensive line was coming back that far before he could even start scanning the field. That amount of time doesn't help and it pushes him further back to try and make a throw.
Drops aren't optional. It is part of the play call. The OL will block accordingly... even if it is a really good OL.

Yet, ALL of those fantasy things you posted would HURT his income as a PAID coach. Not saying anything is the LAST thing he would EVER do when he has the opportunity to self-promote his coaching abilities.
We all hope that JG is improved, but this is off-season hype of a coach by said coach.

I agree to a certain point. However, it would be better to say nothing than praise a failure.

Despite looking like a punk at GT, he has had tons of grit and fortitude. It takes a lot for a highly rated kid to take beating and not be able to show his skill set much. I hope he does well for his sake and Tennessee.

I never questioned JG's arm, with a few exceptions with lack of touch. I wanted tl hear more about pre-snap reads and mobilty in the pocket. Not sure this guy really works on that much.

Too bad JG couldn't spend more time with UT's qb coach.

Seems as if I have read this same post from you about 1,000 times. We get it; you don't like JG as a QB and likely never will, even if he is ends up in the top three rated QB 9 the SEC.
Wrong. Completely wrong. I have been critical of his shortcomings. If he improves to be an effective QB that leads the Vols to points and wins... I'll like him regardless of his statistical ranking.

But I won't ignore the issues I see or just blame the OL for everything. Funny... those who do just that don't seem to bother you enough for you to call them out. If you don't like reading similar answers to similar arguments... then why read the posts? No one forced you.

If JG had the ability to hit hot routes and read D's then get the ball out on time... then the OL wouldn't have looked as bad. They had plenty of issues of their own. But it seems that many always qualify JG's issues with the idea that he would have been just fine if the OL didn't suck. They didn't suck all the time. Some of that was him.

One, that's an exaggeration. He did not get 1.5 seconds or less on every play. Two, all successful QB's have to learn to see when they're going to get quick pressure and adjust. He had not as of the end of last season.

I agree they need to improve a lot. Much of it is physical development and unfortunately the possibility that some simply aren't physically talented enough. But it doesn't help when they have a QB who doesn't move in the pocket very well to set their blocks up and who consistently takes too long to make decisions.

We both seem to see issues with both. I'd put it closer to 50/50.

I agree with you that JG certainly has some work to do but I guess my ratio would be more 66/33 OL/JG. I just would like to see how he does with a play caller that designs around him and a line that can actually block for him. There is no doubt he needs to get better reading incoming tho and adjusting faster. I am sure we both hope he does.

I agree with you that JG certainly has some work to do but I guess my ratio would be more 66/33 OL/JG. I just would like to see how he does with a play caller that designs around him and a line that can actually block for him. There is no doubt he needs to get better reading incoming tho and adjusting faster. I am sure we both hope he does.
I think you could say that and be pretty objective.

I'm honestly not sure what the idea on O was last year or what they were thinking of building toward. We talk about OL v QB but it is really in the context of an offensive model and philosophy.

I've liked Chaney since he came to UT the first time. He's proven to be adaptable. He gives me a boost of hope for both parts.

This is all the proof I need that JG can turn into a great QB. If the O-Line can protect him he can and will have a special season imo.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE

This is all the proof I need that JG can turn into a great QB. If the O-Line can protect him he can and will have a special season imo.

Don't you realize that to the nega-vols and losers, the Auburn and Kentucky games last years were throw back games to the good old times rather than an omen of things to come. Most of the players with losing attitudes have left the team or will not being seeing the field agains as a Tennessee Volunteer. The Oline, if for no other reason, will be better because we have have much better talent on the field. We open up with teams which will allow the Oline to gain experience as well as play in an organized manner. As I said before, I think the offense will average 10 points more per game and will give up at least 7 less points per game.
a number of the "killer" QBs are no longer playing in the SEC. Look for Tennessee to win one of the games against Alabama, Florida or Georgia. By the end of the Season, the VOLs will be playing the best football they have played in the last 8-10 years.

Not that "logic" is your strong suit...

But I would point you AGAIN to JG's interview earlier in the year when he talked about his relationship with Chaney and the changes. HE SAID that Chaney was giving him more responsibility and coaching him to hit the hot reads.

So... what do we learn from the FACT that JG specifically mentions Chaney's expectation that he do those things?

Did the previous coaches not realize that him doing those things would help the O? Did they intentionally disallow him out of some desire to lose? Were they just so completely incompetent with their years of experience to recognize how necessary those things are to an offense?

There is one logical conclusion. He was not allowed to do it because they were not confident he could without making too many mistakes.

Mistakes??? He has at the top of the SEC qb that made the fewest mistakes. I believe the coaches quote were they had to limit the offensive passing game to JG from getting hit. Fans said that limit it to keep from him getting killed. He was hit, knocked down or sacked 327 times last year.

I will admit he made mistakes and misread reads however every qb in country in college and the NFL did last year.

Something else to look at. This guy as had a different offensive coordinator every year he has been at UT. With Chaney he will have Heath Shuler type numbers. I promise that.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He is part of the problem.

A very small part. Anyone that’s wants to we can sit down and break film down frame by frame. Everyone will see the all the offense in general was the problem. I-line, receivers and even the backs missing blocks. JG biggest problem was he was beat to death, there’s no doubt he was very sore and hurt by game four. By Alabama he had to have some fear of being hit and how bad it was going to hurt.

Tired of these threads bashing a guy that is as good as Shuler. No one knows how to watch or elevate film and plays.

A very small part. Anyone that’s wants to we can sit down and break film down frame by frame. Everyone will see the all the offense in general was the problem. I-line, receivers and even the backs missing blocks. JG biggest problem was he was beat to death, there’s no doubt he was very sore and hurt by game four. By Alabama he had to have some fear of being hit and how bad it was going to hurt.

Tired of these threads bashing a guy that is as good as Shuler. No one knows how to watch or elevate film and plays.

Did you really compare to JG to Shuler? They are miles apart in almost every way possible. Might as well compare Colton Jumper to Al Wilson.

VN Store

Back