The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

I think so. The numbers and data show how good he actually was with the bad situation around him. With improved coaching and support he will have a breakout year and lead us back to relevancy.

The "eyetest" and "feelings" guys won't like this.

I see k-town is stirring the pot again.

Every person on here should be rooting for him to succeed. Whatever his shortcomings may be, he is still the most game-ready qb we have. I'm certain there are things he would say he needs to do better. Recognizing his hot reads, getting his protection in the right position. I think Chaney is going to give him more latitude to set himself up for positive plays. It's impossible though, to say how much is on him and how much is on the OL. They both function together. So I think we could all afford to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially when you think back on how many times last year he got absolutely curb stomped, got up, dug the grass out of his face mask, and got ready to go again. You know he is graduating, but he isn't going to transfer to a better situation where his protection might be better. He is all Vol and we should be supportive of that.

Are you kidding? Most ready we have!

Just wait until he throws interception or we lose a game or two. Our backups will improve dramatically on this board. Both will be borderline Heisman trophy candidates.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
My point is you are all about JG and making him look good. And, you know that every post about him is going to start some back and forth and name calling on here. What's the point?

Reactions: lifeisdeep and Behr
Wow. Who wouldn't believe JG will ball out this year?!? When you have scientific stats like "big time throws" and manipulated adjusted completion %, the sky is the limit!!!

Some homers so desperate to not suck they will believe anything. JG is an accidental Pied Piper of mediocrity.

I actually assumed that his listing of the "rating" was in reference to the listed stat, given that's what the original tweet was concerning.

However, I'm not suprised that he was actually championing the rating of "big time throws" as a banner occurance of the equivilant of a baseball stat. Because when it comes to JG, the rating always trumps the raw production; always.
I dont think a lot of football fans, especially here, will understand the baseball stat reference. That being said, literally every positive article or post on JG's performance relies solely on baseball-esque stats.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Who give a **** about these bs stats..In 3 years what big time throw has JG made? His stats are overrated..They never mention TD stats or yards its always about completion rates..Who cares!!

Tennesse neees more than just JG to step up and lead this team, leadership at UT has been almost nonexistant as of late and thats very sad indeed!
Tennessee's better teams of the past, had many leaders with "real Tennessee Pride" and a driving desire to compete and win.
Can Pruitt instill that Tennessee Pride once again, I sure hope he can, because without it, I'm afraid our success will continue to be evasive.

This is from a QB coach JG has been working with, guess we'll see.

“I think, No. 1 his footwork’s definitely a little cleaner,” Racioppi said of Guarantano’s improvement. “His throwing sequence is a lot cleaner. He’s doing a much better job of closing his shoulder when he’s stepping, which, you know, lets our hips be our main power source and lets our elbow get up so we’re more consistent and more accurate with the ball. And the second thing is, honestly — I see this all the time with scholarship kids — they all have strong arms. That’s why they’re scholarship kids. You know, Tennessee’s not gonna offer a kid that can’t throw the ball hard, but as they get older, they learn how to throw the ball, how to layer the ball over people, like second-level throws like digs and curls and deep over routes. It’s how to be a passer. …
“Like I said, he can throw with anybody, but it’s the ability to throw the ball kind of with a little touch and the ability to get the ball to people and leading people and throwing the ball to spots on time, he’s gotten much better at that.”
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...tennessee-qb-jarrett-guarantano-has-improved/

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Give him a halfway decent OL and he'll post Heisman numbers. He certainly has the WRs for that. But if the OL doesn't give him a chance to get the ball to them or block effectively for the excellent RBs we have, it's all for naught. I personally believe we're going to see a surprisingly good UT team this season. We may not beat Bama but we will either beat or put a horrifying scare in Georgia, humble them a bit, I dare say.

This is an open book test.

Every player and every coach needs to show improvements compared to last year’s results.

I expect they will put in the work necessary to accomplish the improvements needed.

My advice is to replace “hope” with “expect”, fans should be able to expect the players and coaches to put in the work.

After I take my vacation all vacations are cancelled.

I’ve being practicing getting loud for the games by cheering for my kiddos. They are a silly bunch but enjoy the encouragement, even if it’s for finishing their dinner.

From the 24/7 Article

Racioppi said he’s worked with Guarantano some this summer, too, and that he’s seen a different player from the one he worked with five months ago.

“I think, No. 1, his footwork’s definitely a little cleaner,” Racioppi said. “His throwing sequence is a lot cleaner. He’s doing a much better job of closing his shoulder when he’s stepping — which, you know, lets our hips be our main power source and lets our elbow get up so we’re more consistent and more accurate with the ball. And the second thing is, honestly, and I see this all the time with scholarship kids, they all have strong arms. That’s why they're scholarship kids. You know, Tennessee’s not gonna offer a kid that can’t throw the ball hard. But as they get older, they learn how to throw the ball, how to layer the ball over people, like second-level throws like digs and curls and deep over routes. It’s how to be a passer.

“A lot of times they go to college as throwers, and the ones that play and play well are the ones that develop into being passers, so they’re able to not just throw the ball hard and through windows, but they can get the ball over the top of people and throw the ball with touch and throw the ball to some spots and make the second- and third-level throws as accurate as those first-level throws and the ability to change the tempo of the footballs. I’ve seen that a ton.

"Like I said, he can throw with anybody, but it’s the ability to throw the ball kind of with a little touch and the ability to get the ball to people and leading people and throwing the ball to spots on time, he’s gotten much better at that.”

This is great and I really REALLY hope JG takes that next step this year but candidly, my concern is if our line can keep JG from playing off his back. Even so, the more Chaney can get JG connecting to spread the field, that should help take some pressure off the box. I think JG wasnt rated #1 in the country for no reason and hopefully now that he has been under some good coaching, it is going to show out. We arent exactly WRU anymore but we will have some good targets for him this year. I have confidence that Chaney's play design and deep knowledge of SEC play, will pay benefits this year.

It looks to me like the game still hasn't slowed down for JG. I look for Chaney to limit his reads and roll him out so he only needs to read half the field.

Wtf constitutes a "Big Time Throw"?
Either...
1) Hitting a wide open receiver in stride with a 50 yd bomb... that's a big time throw for sure.
or
2) Throwing the ball up for grabs, again 50 yds downfield and hoping our guy jumps higher than theirs... if he catches it, its a big time throw (I guess).

JG has had a plethora of the second.... not sure I recall games where he has version-1.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
From the 24/7 Article

Racioppi said he’s worked with Guarantano some this summer, too, and that he’s seen a different player from the one he worked with five months ago.

“I think, No. 1, his footwork’s definitely a little cleaner,” Racioppi said. “His throwing sequence is a lot cleaner. He’s doing a much better job of closing his shoulder when he’s stepping — which, you know, lets our hips be our main power source and lets our elbow get up so we’re more consistent and more accurate with the ball. And the second thing is, honestly, and I see this all the time with scholarship kids, they all have strong arms. That’s why they're scholarship kids. You know, Tennessee’s not gonna offer a kid that can’t throw the ball hard. But as they get older, they learn how to throw the ball, how to layer the ball over people, like second-level throws like digs and curls and deep over routes. It’s how to be a passer.

“A lot of times they go to college as throwers, and the ones that play and play well are the ones that develop into being passers, so they’re able to not just throw the ball hard and through windows, but they can get the ball over the top of people and throw the ball with touch and throw the ball to some spots and make the second- and third-level throws as accurate as those first-level throws and the ability to change the tempo of the footballs. I’ve seen that a ton.

"Like I said, he can throw with anybody, but it’s the ability to throw the ball kind of with a little touch and the ability to get the ball to people and leading people and throwing the ball to spots on time, he’s gotten much better at that.”

This is great and I really REALLY hope JG takes that next step this year but candidly, my concern is if our line can keep JG from playing off his back. Even so, the more Chaney can get JG connecting to spread the field, that should help take some pressure off the box. I think JG wasnt rated #1 in the country for no reason and hopefully now that he has been under some good coaching, it is going to show out. We arent exactly WRU anymore but we will have some good targets for him this year. I have confidence that Chaney's play design and deep knowledge of SEC play, will pay benefits this year.
My two thoughts are that I don't buy into off season "superman" hype any more...like Hurd running twice the speed of light on a treadmill...or Kongbo doing cone drills improving his agility. I just want to see on-field results, then I'm "in". I like JG alot, and want nothing but the best for him. I also think that Chaney has worked wonders w/ folks like Crompton and Peterman (Pitt), and others, so if he can do the same for JG, and simplify/amplify his game, we're going to be in better shape than we thought. I'm sure all our kids are working hard, but so is the competition. Just want to see it all come together...it's been awhile.

Pray he's able to have an awesome season. Maybe the line will give him more than 3 seconds. But last year he sure couldn't feel the pocket collapsing. Many times if he'd stepped up he could have avoided pressure and possibly made a play. I also felt he didn't move through progressions fast enough.

VN Store

Back