The "It's 2 am and we talkin renovation" thread

About that overkill waterproofing and all the holes you're fixing to put in it nailing up your backer board......lol.

I taped the seams and corners with coats of Hydra Ban to about 12 inches above any water lines, quick coat of all the screw heads, then called it good. That's some fine backer board erection you got in the following pick though. I would not have had the patience to put up that liner.
Hydro Ban is good stuff.
If there wasn’t a football game I’d be painting on the waterproofing tonight

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Hydro Ban is good stuff.
If there wasn’t a football game I’d be painting on the waterproofing tonight

If there was a Vegas line on it, I'd put money on your shower never leaking. Then again if it does, I envision you being like the guy on the ISP commercial...."Smart speaker. Play smooth jazz, easy listening playlist. Uuugghhh."

you really put some effort into setting that shower up right.

That’s just the hall bath. wait till I get to the master

My out price on my 5x8 bathroom is going to be almost double what I had anticipated. Partly due to the extra structural work I had not been able to see. Partly due to the vanity my wife picked out. Sadly, my venture has shown that when we do these projects, supplies to install the goodies is probably 2/3 of the total expense. But, some of it is my fault for taking the easy way out. I normally by a $15 bag of good grout and thinset mortar. But on such a small space, I said hey, why not use pre-mix. Well, one bucket of pre-mix grout, and mortar, each were double what I'd have paid for my traditional route. So I basically paid 4x the amount I should have. And double the amount of what I actually paid for the tile itself. Stick to what you know. No shortcuts. Now it was good acrylic pre-mix grout. No shrinking, cracking or sealing. But, I paid for it. And the urethane grout I considered would have been double the acrylic with a 3 day cure before using. If you have the time and expense is no biggie, urethane grout is the prime choice. Especially for small spaces. not economical for a large floor unless you have no worries. Even with the additives you can put in dry mix grout, you still have to seal.

To come full circle on the intent of my first sentence, I'd hate to be paying for your supplies alone the way you prepped that.

That’s just the hall bath. wait till I get to the master

since you seem to be going the extra mile, when you prep your floors you can get that cloth tape that goes with hydro ban and run a corner line on your floor from the backer to the wall and hydro it in. The only place you'd ever have water go is down the air vent or out the door. We did a dishroom floor like that at Tech. And ran the hydro out about 18". And around all the floor drains. No more leaks under the walls and into the dining areas, or under the tile since we also used epoxy grout.

since you seem to be going the extra mile, when you prep your floors you can get that cloth tape that goes with hydro ban and run a corner line on your floor from the backer to the wall and hydro it in. The only place you'd ever have water go is down the air vent or out the door. We did a dishroom floor like that at Tech. And ran the hydro out about 18". And around all the floor drains. No more leaks under the walls and into the dining areas, or under the tile since we also used epoxy grout.

That’s how I work customers houses.
I will do that at mine also.

It’s funny, when you tear out old bathrooms the leak and damage is almost always at the elevation where tub meets the floor. Nobody ever waterproofs there.

Coincidence?

I think not.

I’ve got guys at another job tearing out a small bathroom to retile just the floor. 5 minutes ago I took a phone call to say there’s a problem.

Guess where.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
That’s how I work customers houses.
I will do that at mine also.

It’s funny, when you tear out old bathrooms the leak and damage is almost always at the elevation where tub meets the floor. Nobody ever waterproofs there.

Coincidence?

I think not.

I’ve got guys at another job tearing out a small bathroom to retile just the floor. 5 minutes ago I took a phone call to say there’s a problem.

Guess where.
yep. On those old tubs there was also not much of a back lip. So if you didn’t keep it caulked there was trouble.

VN Store

Back