The Hot Sauce Thread

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Favorites? Anyone else grow their own peppers or blend their own sauces?

I'll start: My favorite go-to is Blaire's Death Sauce. Hot but not crazy, lots of habanero, garlic, and chipotle flavor.

I grow habbies and japs. My signature Big Orange Fury is orange habbies, mango, garlic, and the rest is secret. Recently, my brother sent me some of his home-grown ghosts...wow.

Reactions: 1 person
Love going to Firehouse to sample the different hot sauces.

Tapatio and Tabasco are my go to hot sauces. Siracha for asian food.

Love going to Firehouse to sample the different hot sauces.

Funny, my son and I had a contest there a few days ago. The one we ate at had a bottle of 100% Pain...I remembered it well from years back. Just as hot as I remembered.

Honestly, Louisiana, Franks, Cholula, Texas Pete, etc aren't even spicy to me anymore... More like a ketchup-style condiment. I've been through bottles of Dave's Insanity, After Death, Jamaican Hell Fire, and some delicious one that had a screaming guy with dreads on the label ("Batch #???" was the name -- can't remember the number) that changed my take on heat.

Slight divergence, but don't ever challenge the Thai restaurant chef to "bring it."

My first ghost pepper sauce. Notice it is outdoors. If you ever get the notion to cook or blend them, DO NOT do so in the house!!!

Attachments

• _20150307_213223.jpg
    _20150307_213223.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
Green Tabasco, Sriacha, and Frank's are my faves. I don't like hot just for the sake of the hot. And if it's too hot, I can't taste it, so kind of defeats the purpose.

Pepper Palace is my favorite place to try different sauces. I tried their hottest sauce, Flash bang. It's pretty much flavored military grade pepper spray that is so much hotter than any natural pepper. I tried a very tiny drop and my mouth was on fire for 30-35 minutes.

Green Tabasco, Sriacha, and Frank's are my faves. I don't like hot just for the sake of the hot. And if it's too hot, I can't taste it, so kind of defeats the purpose.

For me, as well. Loved the hot sauce contests in my younger days. Not now. My go to sauces are Sriracha and Cholula's chili garlic and Cholula's Chipotle. All very tasty and not extremely hot.

For me, as well. Loved the hot sauce contests in my younger days. Not now. My go to sauces are Sriracha and Cholula's chili garlic and Cholula's Chipotle. All very tasty and not extremely hot.

Both my sons are all over the "how hot can I go" thing. My youngest got my oldest a set of hot sauces for Christmas. :lol:

Don't like hot sauce. It's dang nuts to eat something on purpose that burns and causes pain.

Reactions: 2 people
Rick's Changing Chameleon. It's not super hot, but it's darn good. Put it on about everything, especially cold pizza.

Dang, now I want some.

I don't have much to bring to this thread. My go to typical grocery store hot sauces are Frank's Red Hot Buffalo and Texas Pete's Pepper Sauce(the one with the green peppers in the bottle).

I did the hot sauce "run" a long time ago. I went through some different Dave's sauces a few Blair's and it was a learning experience truthfully. Some sauces are literally made just to burn and cause pain while others actually taste good and bring some heat. One in particular I think was Blair's Mega Death sauce that was actually really hot but fairly nasty flavor wise. There is an art in creating a sauce that's hot but still tastes good.

Pranked a co-worker one time with Dave's Insanity years ago. She would put hot sauce on everything, I think it was just Louisiana or Crystal. She left the office one day and I grabbed her hot sauce, dumped out as much as I could and proceeded to pour in Dave's Insanity. She came back and poured it all over her pork chops and green beans and started eating. I was just kind of watching and the sweat started, she got the hiccups, ate some more and then turned to me and said "whooo this is hoooot!" I couldn't hold it in and just busted out laughing. In retrospect had it been anyone else it could have gone horribly bad but she handled it.

I played another unrelated prank on her that was completely hilarious as well. The reaction on her face was just priceless.

VN Store

Back