The Grill and BBQ thread

Thanks! Is what I'm thinking about trying tonight to have ready sometime tomorrow.

Any guesstimate on how long to get to 165?

Also total cook time?
Depends on weight. Usually around 40 minutes a pound. But they're is a lot that can effect that.

Reactions: KptVFL
They’re getting better! It’s about getting the ingredients in the wrap properly ratio’d.
520FF497-C051-482E-9BC1-85E906182381.jpeg058D46C7-C4D6-440D-A85F-DEAFC1AA6E0A.jpeg

First rack pulled is always the crispiest. Second rack was perfect! (Shoulda took a pic) and the third was a step up from perfect.

Last edited:
Did you place a container of water in the smoker? (I fill up a pie tin) That helps. Also spritzing it with apple juice or apple cider vinegar frequently. I would think tenderloin would have enough fat content to negate much dryness. All part of the journey.
I don't think tenderloin has a lot of fat running through the the tenderloin. I've always cooked those at a higher temp for a shorter time.

Yeah I'm way off. Even my wife knew better. ;)
The history of bbq is pretty interesting and informative. Cuts like shoulder/ribs/brisket are high in collagen, while loins/steaks have less. The "good" cuts that were quick and easy to cook were reserved for the well-off, while everybody else got the "trash" cuts. Those require a low and slow cook to break down the collagen in the meat, which requires a lot of time (partially because of the stall) and a higher internal temp.

Edit: that may seem like a tangent, but it just came to mind while thunk about why certain cuts are completely different cooks.

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna and KptVFL
HELP: I have ventured into a new world of steak cookery. We had our half of beef this time processed at a different place that had a variety of cutting options. So, I need help knowing how to cook two new to me steak cuts.
Denver
Chuck-eye
Both 1”
Gas Grill and or smoker available.
We are Med/Med Rare typically.
Time/temps/techniques for a fairly standard experience needed.

Mother's Day request from my wife. No pressure. Lol!

After about 4 1/2 hours. Right before wrapping. 🤞

View attachment 551454

Finished product was butter! Wifey was pleased.

Rested for 1 hr in cooler and 1 hr on counter and pulled. Was still hot as bejeezus in the middle. Had about 2 cups of drippings. Skimmed a lil fat off the top and mixed in once pulled.

20230514_180858.jpg

Suggestions on freezing leftovers?

HELP: I have ventured into a new world of steak cookery. We had our half of beef this time processed at a different place that had a variety of cutting options. So, I need help knowing how to cook two new to me steak cuts.
Denver
Chuck-eye
Both 1”
Gas Grill and or smoker available.
We are Med/Med Rare typically.
Time/temps/techniques for a fairly standard experience needed.
If the Denver steaks were cut against the grain, they will grill nicely like a strip or ribeye. The chuck eye is the next rib up from the ribeye. I've never cooked one, but it looks like they could be handled like a ribeye, or they could be stewed low and slow like a chuck roast.

Were not a bit. Amazing result!

Rubbed with probably a 1/2 cup of brown sugar and put around a 1/2 stick of butter on them when I wrapped them.

Didn't have a pie pan so just put some water in a grease pail liner and put on the grates.
Looks good.
I usually put a beer in my water pan and use a spray bottle with 10 oz of apple juice and 1 oz of vinegar. Shake well.

We just bought a Traeger 575 Pro this past weekend. We have it seasoned and ready to go. Now to decide which smokey delight we will try first.

Reactions: KptVFL

VN Store

Back