The Grill and BBQ thread

View attachment 480443

The first of my $1.99 Kroger briskets.

Burnt ends were real, real nice.
I've only done brisket once. I separated the flat and point prior to starting my cook. Wrapped both in butcher paper several hours in, then cut up the burnt ends and put them in an iron skillet with sauce. Is that the process you go through or do you separate and cut up the ends mid cook?

I've only done brisket once. I separated the flat and point prior to starting my cook. Wrapped both in butcher paper several hours in, then cut up the burnt ends and put them in an iron skillet with sauce. Is that the process you go through or do you separate and cut up the ends mid cook?
Exactly as you did. I like separating and cooking the point on an elevated rack. That way, the flat is uniform thickness. The point hit 195 while the flat was about 182. I cubed the point, hit it with a little rub, some sauce, and honey. Back on the rack for about 60 minutes while the flat finished and then rested for bit.

Reactions: clarksvol00
Exactly as you did. I like separating and cooking the point on an elevated rack. That way, the flat is uniform thickness. The point hit 195 while the flat was about 182. I cubed the point, hit it with a little rub, some sauce, and honey. Back on the rack for about 60 minutes while the flat finished and then rested for bit.
Thanks. The brisket worked out great when I did it last year. I'm in charge of an extended family get together this year so I'm doing two briskets, one or two whole pork shoulders, ribs, and half chickens on the pit. I'm confident about everything but the brisket. Looking for any advice I can get on the brisket.

Thanks. The brisket worked out great when I did it last year. I'm in charge of an extended family get together this year so I'm doing two briskets, one or two whole pork shoulders, ribs, and half chickens on the pit. I'm confident about everything but the brisket. Looking for any advice I can get on the brisket.
Dang, that's a feast! When trimming, I cut a small bit of the thin flat corner off at 90 degrees to the grain so I know how to slice it (sometimes it's hard to tell the grain once cooked). Leave some fat on top of the flat. A little liquid when you wrap helps tenderize (coffee, beef broth, red wine, etc).

Good luck.

Help me out with those directions again cousin!

Dang, that's a feast! When trimming, I cut a small bit of the thin flat corner off at 90 degrees to the grain so I know how to slice it (sometimes it's hard to tell the grain once cooked). Leave some fat on top of the flat. A little liquid when you wrap helps tenderize (coffee, beef broth, red wine, etc).

Good luck.
Thanks.

Patience and make time. It will take the longest. Our (me and son) 3rd brisket was the first edible one by brisket standards that pulled apart easily and melted in mouth. We set smoker at about 225 and went almost 11 hours. It absolutely will stall at 160-180, at which point you wrap it. Foil or butcher paper. Took it to 205. And don't be afraid to season a brisket.

Really intrigued by the chili. I've had a cast iron Dutch oven sitting around and decided to re-season it and look for ways to use it in the smoker. Over the top chili was one of the first things I saw and I considered making it, but it's too damn hot for chili.
One thing I've found useful for O.T.T. chili is to use leaner ground beef/ meats. Too much fat can drip into the pot and IMO makes it a little too greasy. 90/10 works pretty well.

Reactions: GVF and clarksvol00
Local grocery has whole pork loins discounted to $1.99 a pound. Looks like they’re around 9-10 pounds. I’ve done plenty of the 1-1.5 pound tenderloins. Anyone have any experience with one this size? Cut it into smaller pieces & freeze part maybe?

Local grocery has whole pork loins discounted to $1.99 a pound. Looks like they’re around 9-10 pounds. I’ve done plenty of the 1-1.5 pound tenderloins. Anyone have any experience with one this size? Cut it into smaller pieces & freeze part maybe?
We used to buy those at Sam's. Generally we'd cut each end to get a rib roast and sirloin roast. Then cut the middle into chops.

PorkLoin-3.jpg

I've seen recipes too do whole ones. But I rarely need to feed that many people.

Big difference in tenderloins and whole loins. They are serviceable, but I would brine and low and slow, then sear.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back