The Grill and BBQ thread

Great color on that bird.
I had quite a few “dark meat only” family members eating breast meat. 24 hour wet brine, creole butter injection everywhere and frozen compound butter under the skin. Not sure all of those were necessary but I told my wife that if we were hosting our first Thanksgiving at our new home I was going to guarantee there would be absolutely no dry meat to be found.

I had quite a few “dark meat only” family members eating breast meat. 24 hour wet brine, creole butter injection everywhere and frozen compound butter under the skin. Not sure all of those were necessary but I told my wife that if we were hosting our first Thanksgiving at our new home I was going to guarantee there would be absolutely no dry meat to be found.
That all sounds really good. Sadly this year is going to be madness. Just drove to mid NC to visit the wife’s grandparents. Driving back Saturday and then Sunday will be my family’s Thanksgiving. And I’m providing the bird. So I can’t do a brine because there won’t be enough time to make it worthwhile so I’m going to be injecting as much as possible. Gonna try spatchcocking for the first time ever and will put butter and rub underneath and on the skin.

That all sounds really good. Sadly this year is going to be madness. Just drove to mid NC to visit the wife’s grandparents. Driving back Saturday and then Sunday will be my family’s Thanksgiving. And I’m providing the bird. So I can’t do a brine because there won’t be enough time to make it worthwhile so I’m going to be injecting as much as possible. Gonna try spatchcocking for the first time ever and will put butter and rub underneath and on the skin.
I honestly prefer a spatchcock but my wife apparently thought we were going to need to feed 80 instead of 8 and a 22 pound bird would’ve never fit splayed out.

I don't find both injecting and buttet under the skin to be necessary. I just do one or the other. It sure wouldn't hurt to do both though. I like a good spatchcock chicken. But do my turkey whole. I bet yours was delicious from the sound of it.

I honestly prefer a spatchcock but my wife apparently thought we were going to need to feed 80 instead of 8 and a 22 pound bird would’ve never fit splayed out.

I’ve got a 19.5 lb bird since I will be feeding 20 people. Hopefully it won’t be too big for my smoker because this spatchcock idea sounds delicious and would really help with time.

It's going to be a great day of sports on the tube. Here's a "little" 9lb. short rib plate I picked up at Simpson's Meats when I was in TN last week. Anyone in the Knox area I highly recommend this place. It's on Murdock which is off Lovell Rd. Jim Simpson is the owner and Jason is another fella that works there. Super helpful and great quality.

If you're a burger fan, grab a pound of their ground beef and pound of their bacon/burger grind and mix them together. You really don't need to season it. That mix is outstanding.

SR112421.jpg

Gonna do a 5 lb. chub bologna on Christmas Eve. Never done one before. What would be the best rub, and the best wood to use?
I've done it two different ways but used hickory for both and thought it worked well. 1st was a basic bbq rub salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, turbinado sugar. I scored the chub and used yellow mustard to bind the rub. The other way I did it was scoring the chub and using no seasoning. Every 30 minutes or so I would apply honey mustard until the final 45 minutes and then I just applied raw honey. Both were great. If you are looking forward to sandwiches for the leftovers, I'd recommend the bbq rub. The sweeter chub wasn't as good on a sandwich.

Reactions: VFLEatinFresh
View attachment 421837
Wife got me a 22 pound turkey for Thanksgiving and now I’m given a 13 pound rib roast for Christmas Eve. She’s taken this hosting in our new house thing to the extreme.

You, sir, are in for a treat if you've never had a rib roast from Double R Ranch...same company as Snake River Farms. I've cooked several of these and each one was outstanding! Post some pics of the cook if you can. Oven or grill/smoker or combo?

Reactions: NochNoch
You, sir, are in for a treat if you've never had a rib roast from Double R Ranch...same company as Snake River Farms. I've cooked several of these and each one was outstanding! Post some pics of the cook if you can. Oven or grill/smoker or combo?
This bad boy is going on the smoker.

View attachment 421837
Wife got me a 22 pound turkey for Thanksgiving and now I’m given a 13 pound rib roast for Christmas Eve. She’s taken this hosting in our new house thing to the extreme.
Wife came home yesterday and gave me 12 lb rib roast and said "Here's your Christmas present". The real present was 5.99 a pound going back today to get another and throw in freezer.

Never had the pleasure and am very much looking forward to my first experience with their meat. We have to host and I have to cook for everyone but the good thing is that my wife’s uncle did the buying and had it shipped to us. That roast and two racks of lamb from D’artagnan.

Never had the pleasure and am very much looking forward to my first experience with their meat. We have to host and I have to cook for everyone but the good thing is that my wife’s uncle did the buying and had it shipped to us. That roast and two racks of lamb from D’artagnan.
If you've got room for 1 more....! Seriously, that is going to be a spread!!!!! Good luck and have fun with it.

If you've got room for 1 more....! Seriously, that is going to be a spread!!!!! Good luck and have fun with it.
If you find yourself anywhere in the Tidewater Viriginia area around Christmas Eve, you are more than welcome at my table! I’d say we’ll have way too much food for the number of people who’ll be here but then I remember the uncle doing the ordering is 6’8” and 300 LBs so try to get here early!

Reactions: Boca Vol
If you find yourself anywhere in the Tidewater Viriginia area around Christmas Eve, you are more than welcome at my table! I’d say we’ll have way too much food for the number of people who’ll be here but then I remember the uncle doing the ordering is 6’8” and 300 LBs so try to get here early!

Appreciate it.

We had planned on spending part of the holidays at our place in Kill Devil Hills. Circumstances changed and we wound up selling it. It closed last week. Sad, but it's a long way from Sarasota to the OBX.

I love to smoke and grill all kinds of meat. I was looking for something different to smoke yesterday.
I was walking down the meat case at Publix and I see a small leg of lamb. I have never cooked lamb. I googled how to cook it. Decided I would try it in the smoker. I bought a small one because I was pretty sure I would be the only one eating it. Boy, was I wrong. The youngest boy comes outside just as I am taking it off the smoker. He says man Pops that smells awesome. What is it? I tell him it is leg of lamb. Just gets a weird look on his face. I let it rest for a little while and started slicing it. I was going to fix rice and some sort of veggie to go with it. He slides in and says can I have a piece? He says oh that is fantastic. He grabs a plate and takes off with three slices. He must have told the rest of the herd because they came running. To make a long story shorter, no need for rice or veggies. I just barely got two end pieces. I don't think he told them what it was because they kept calling it roast. Who knew? SMH

I love to smoke and grill all kinds of meat. I was looking for something different to smoke yesterday.
I was walking down the meat case at Publix and I see a small leg of lamb. I have never cooked lamb. I googled how to cook it. Decided I would try it in the smoker. I bought a small one because I was pretty sure I would be the only one eating it. Boy, was I wrong. The youngest boy comes outside just as I am taking it off the smoker. He says man Pops that smells awesome. What is it? I tell him it is leg of lamb. Just gets a weird look on his face. I let it rest for a little while and started slicing it. I was going to fix rice and some sort of veggie to go with it. He slides in and says can I have a piece? He says oh that is fantastic. He grabs a plate and takes off with three slices. He must have told the rest of the herd because they came running. To make a long story shorter, no need for rice or veggies. I just barely got two end pieces. I don't think he told them what it was because they kept calling it roast. Who knew? SMH

Awesome story! Don't you love trying something new, not knowing if anyone will like and it winds up getting devoured? Great job!

VN Store

Back