The Grill and BBQ thread

Anyone have a z grill? Apparently they used to manufacture the Traegers and broke off and made their own company/smokers. They’re doing a “mystery box” where they will ship you one of five different smokers for $399. The smokers are worth anywhere between $479 and $699 and all are 2021 models. I took a gamble and ordered 2. One for myself and one as a wedding gift for my brother. I figured I’d give my brother the best one that came to me. One of the ones that came in was the basic model, but the other was the top “secret” model worth $699. Thought that was pretty cool as proof you can definitely get the top model.
Z GRILLS PELLET GRILL BLIND BOX - 2021 LIMITED EDITION

Last edited:
Anyone have a z grill? Apparently they used to manufacture the Traegers and broke off and made their own company/smokers. They’re doing a “mystery box” where they will ship you one of five different smokers for $399. The smokers are worth anywhere between $479 and $699 and all are 2021 models. I took a gamble and ordered 2. One for myself and one as a wedding gift for my brother. I figured. One of the ones that came in was the basic model, but the other was the top “secret” model worth $699. Thought that was pretty cool as proof you can definitely get the top model.
I've never used one myself. The sites I generally trust haven't weighed in on them, that I can find. But the general consensus, from what I've read, is that they are a solid option for thier price point. If I was in the market for a pellet grill I'd take a hard look at that deal.

I've never used one myself. The sites I generally trust haven't weighed in on them, that I can find. But the general consensus, from what I've read, is that they are a solid option for thier price point. If I was in the market for a pellet grill I'd take a hard look at that deal.
I figured for $399 it was worth a gamble. It’s my brothers first smoker so I didn’t want something expensive for him to learn on and it seemed like it was a good bang for your buck especially since I got lucky and the $699 smoker came in. I already have a rec tec and Kamado Joe so it doesn’t matter to me all that much on how the basic model performs because I can’t see it beating out either of those but it’ll be nice to have to play around with and if I’m cooking a feast and need more cooking sq footage.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
I figured for $399 it was worth a gamble. It’s my brothers first smoker so I didn’t want something expensive for him to learn on and it seemed like it was a good bang for your buck especially since I got lucky and the $699 smoker came in. I already have a rec tec and Kamado Joe so it doesn’t matter to me all that much on how the basic model performs because I can’t see it beating out either of those but it’ll be nice to have to play around with and if I’m cooking a feast and need more cooking sq footage.
I'm coming from the budget end for sure. I'm using a Pit Barrel and a Weber Kettle with tons of accessories. Let us know how the Z grill does. That price point might get me to finally pass the barrel down and replace it. Pellet grills have always scared me a little because they have so many moving parts to break. For the money a Rec Tec costs I'd just get a kamado. But 399 is tempting.

I'm coming from the budget end for sure. I'm using a Pit Barrel and a Weber Kettle with tons of accessories. Let us know how the Z grill does. That price point might get me to finally pass the barrel down and replace it. Pellet grills have always scared me a little because they have so many moving parts to break. For the money a Rec Tec costs I'd just get a kamado. But 399 is tempting.
Will do. Will probably be a while until I set it up and use it though.

I've got four T-bones to cook tonight that came as part of the whole cow I purchased with a couple friends this year. They are cut much thinner than I'm used to grilling, no more than 1" thick. They do look good -- nicely marbled. Any tips? Just hot and maybe 3 min/side?

I've got four T-bones to cook tonight that came as part of the whole cow I purchased with a couple friends this year. They are cut much thinner than I'm used to grilling, no more than 1" thick. They do look good -- nicely marbled. Any tips? Just hot and maybe 3 min/side?

If they are thin like that. Hot and fast.

They were good. A different style steak than I usually cook, but nice char with the grill @ 600+ and flames kissing fat.
If I have thin steaks, I usually crank the heat heat up and do a short sear on each side. My dad and I have split a whole cow a couple of times recently and some of the cuts have come out thin.

If I have thin steaks, I usually crank the heat heat up and do a short sear on each side. My dad and I have split a whole cow a couple of times recently and some of the cuts have come out thin.
I probably went about 3"/side before resting. Prob could have gotten away with 2.5, but I was worried about the bone and the adjacent meat being too rare.

Anyone have a z grill? Apparently they used to manufacture the Traegers and broke off and made their own company/smokers. They’re doing a “mystery box” where they will ship you one of five different smokers for $399. The smokers are worth anywhere between $479 and $699 and all are 2021 models. I took a gamble and ordered 2. One for myself and one as a wedding gift for my brother. I figured I’d give my brother the best one that came to me. One of the ones that came in was the basic model, but the other was the top “secret” model worth $699. Thought that was pretty cool as proof you can definitely get the top model.

My dad has had one for about a year now and he loves it.

So I was looking on Darth Bezos Land (Amazon) for an everyday pizza stone, and they have a bunch for grills.

Other than cooking pizza on the grill, which I don’t think we’d bother with (old-skool Weber kettle charcoal grillers here), what would you use something like this for on a grill? The blurbs talk about roasting and whatnot, but I’m having trouble visualizing this. I wouldn’t mind getting double duty from a pizza stone; just don’t know how.

I‘m buying ceramic, not metal (didn’t know there was such a thing.)

Thx muchly

Reactions: JCHateSteve
So I was looking on Darth Bezos Land (Amazon) for an everyday pizza stone, and they have a bunch for grills.

Other than cooking pizza on the grill, which I don’t think we’d bother with (old-skool Weber kettle charcoal grillers here), what would you use something like this for on a grill? The blurbs talk about roasting and whatnot, but I’m having trouble visualizing this. I wouldn’t mind getting double duty from a pizza stone; just don’t know how.

I‘m buying ceramic, not metal (didn’t know there was such a thing.)

Thx muchly
I make pizza on my kettle. You should try it. It's dang yummy with a little Applewood smoke. I don't use my pizza stone for much else though.

Reactions: VolNExile
I got a Blackstone 2 summers ago and had a party. Cooking over that thing on a hot, humid Alabama night was miserable.

I assume you're talking about the propane griddle? I've got one and I love it when I use it. Everytime I think about firing it up from May to September, I just say, "nah, its too hot."

No pics, but I did some wings on the smoker on Saturday. Used Kinder's "The Blend" and a little canola oil. Charcoal and pecan chunks, 225 for two hours, then a couple minutes on direct flame for each side. Had some Calhoun's Thunder Road sauce, which was actually unnecessary. Should have just eaten them dry. That may be a new gameday staple at my house.

Here's a rack of babybacks I cooked yesterday. Seasoned with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning and Kosmos Q's Honey Killer Bee. Set the Grilla on Pro mode and let the temp swing between 215-240 for total cook time of about 5 hours.

View attachment 382506

Do people here prefer baby back or spare? I'm not sure and wondered what the consensus is?

VN Store

Back