The Grill and BBQ thread

Does anyone here use a temperature regulator for your grill/smoker? I have a WSM and have been looking at digiq and IQ works. Any knowledge in these products would be a huge help!

I've got a Pit Barrel Cooker and bought a DigiQ and a Pit Viper blower fan through BBQGuru. I absolutely love it. Had it 5-6 years now.

1614814335762.jpeg

Attachments

• 58EF45D0-E727-44DD-845D-B38EE192B9D3.png
    58EF45D0-E727-44DD-845D-B38EE192B9D3.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 10
Nice set up. How’s hanging ribs? Does it keep a steady temperature?

PBC sheep swear by the hanging method, but I don't find it any better or worse than my old offset. Before I got the blower it would hold around 275 for pretty much 5-6 hours, now I can get it to hold whatever I want. I’ve had it as low as 215 for almost 9 hours on a single basket of briquettes, and I’ve blasted chicken at 350. The digiQ makes it dead simple to hit a temp and it’s really good at keeping it there.

I have lost a couple of racks of ribs and one pork butt because they fell off the hooks. I’ve also found that using sugar at all in the rub will turn everything dark and brown. It’s damn near impossible to get that sweet smoker red coloring.

PBC sheep swear by the hanging method, but I don't find it any better or worse than my old offset. Before I got the blower it would hold around 275 for pretty much 5-6 hours, now I can get it to hold whatever I want. I’ve had it as low as 215 for almost 9 hours on a single basket of briquettes, and I’ve blasted chicken at 350. The digiQ makes it dead simple to hit a temp and it’s really good at keeping it there.

I have lost a couple of racks of ribs and one pork butt because they fell off the hooks. I’ve also found that using sugar at all in the rub will turn everything dark and brown. It’s damn near impossible to get that sweet smoker red coloring.
Wow sounds like might have to pull trigger. I was trying to make myself say yes for the price and you have done it. Thank you.
Always wondered if that happens where ribs just fall off hook and into coals. Yeah, only time I’ve really ever seen the red mahogany color is from pellet smokers, mines normally dark.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

The PBC is a fantastic first smoker. It's basically set and forget for 12 hours all by itself. I've pretty much moved past it, at this point. I've done most of my smoking on a Weber Kettle with a slow and sear for a couple of years now. I only used the barrel when I needed extra capacity. Last fall I picked up a riser for the kettle that fixes the capacity issue and adds a rotisserie and pizza oven to it's capability. So I haven't used the PBC in several months. The PBC is awesome for ease of use. But it's a gateway drug kind of smoker.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Stupid good deal of the month: my wife picked up a package of huge double-cut bone in pork chops at Costco and I smoked/reverse-seared them last night after a 2-hour brine and seasoning with Reload Magnum. They were incredible, and the 8# 6-pack was only $13.

Sorry, didn't snap a pic.

This was my result on Saturday. Brined this butt overnight in apple cider, a little bit of the rub, and a half pint of Jim Beam. The rub is brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and cumin. Charcoal and apple wood for about 6 hours, tried to keep it around 250.

I gotta say, for the first time doing this, I was pleased. I’m proud of that bark for sure. But look closely: the ring! It’s very faint, but it’s there.

Not bad for a rookie, huh?

Attachments

• 805C049F-4883-47F7-9C70-8B7949955BD9.jpeg
    805C049F-4883-47F7-9C70-8B7949955BD9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 50B73CFB-F1ED-4FC3-AEEA-586F9CF9F270.jpeg
    50B73CFB-F1ED-4FC3-AEEA-586F9CF9F270.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • DE4F0058-0E98-4E6E-9C70-3807F323B40C.jpeg
    DE4F0058-0E98-4E6E-9C70-3807F323B40C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
This was my result on Saturday. Brined this butt overnight in apple cider, a little bit of the rub, and a half pint of Jim Beam. The rub is brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and cumin. Charcoal and apple wood for about 6 hours, tried to keep it around 250.

I gotta say, for the first time doing this, I was pleased. I’m proud of that bark for sure. But look closely: the ring! It’s very faint, but it’s there.

That looks awesome! Great bark! Nice job!!

Reactions: VFLEatinFresh

Very nice. I wouldn't worry too much about the smoke ring. The cider and bourbon, IMO, are the reasons it was faint. The acids in them, science, etc.

Did the Jim Beam come through after the cook?

Very well done! No pun intended. Seriously, it looks great.

I’ve been contemplating getting a Meater for a while now. They seem great, I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Would love to hear your feedback after you’ve used it.

Using it for the 1st time today, and the app is really cool. It gives meat temp, target temp, and ambient temp. The ambient temp is off by about 15 degrees but it may have to do with where the smoker measures the heat vs. where the meat probe is. Also, I didn't insert the probe into the the short plate until after 3 hours so it took a while to settle down.

The preset target temps are good (for instance the beefs ribs has a preset target of 203). That's about where I planned on checking them. You can adjust those to your preference. It will send alerts that you can set. So far, so good.

Meater.png

Last edited:
Using it for the 1st time today, and the app is really cool. It gives meat temp, target temp, and ambient temp. The ambient temp is off by about 15 degrees but it may have to do with where the smoker measures the heat vs. where the meat probe is. Also, I didn't insert the probe into the the short plate until after 3 hours so it took a while to settle down.

The preset target temps are good (for instance the beefs ribs has a preset target of 203). That's about where I planned on checking them. You can adjust those to your preference. It will send alerts that you can set. So far, so good.

View attachment 357303

Did you have any issues with the Bluetooth connection range? A lot of the reviews I saw on Amazon mentioned it being a little finicky.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Did you have any issues with the Bluetooth connection range? A lot of the reviews I saw on Amazon mentioned it being a little finicky.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. It worked fine as long as I was close by. There is a way to tether it off WiFi but you need a 2nd phone or tablet.

VN Store

Back