The Grill and BBQ thread

Here’s what I bought. It was pre seasoned, but delicious View attachment 340091
$7.99/lb, I’ll keep that in mind for when I shop around here.

One of last year’s Covid purchases was a food vacuum sealer. (These things are the bomb, btw.) We take the meat out of the original wrapper before sealing, and then I write where and when it was purchased, the weight, and the price per pound. Some nice bwah-hah-hah moments comparing to regular store prices.

Reactions: volmanbill and SDV
$7.99/lb, I’ll keep that in mind for when I shop around here.

One of last year’s Covid purchases was a food vacuum sealer. (These things are the bomb, btw.) We take the meat out of the original wrapper before sealing, and then I write where and when it was purchased, the weight, and the price per pound. Some nice bwah-hah-hah moments comparing to regular store prices.
That’s a good idea. I need to look into those. When we moved to our house, it had a fridge already so we put ours in the garage. Now we have extra fridge and freezer storage. They have them on Amazon?

That’s a good idea. I need to look into those. When we moved to our house, it had a fridge already so we put ours in the garage. Now we have extra fridge and freezer storage. They have them on Amazon?
My wife got me the one below for Christmas and it has been great. Besides the custom bags, they also have containers that are compatible. I haven't tried it yet, but there's a marinate mode to infuse more efficiently.

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V4440-Automatic-Detection-Certified/

Reactions: SDV and VolNExile
Yep, I’m afraid that we have been feeding the beast a lot, as there were none to be found in stores. Another bonus, when you forget to thaw something for dinner, you can submerge the packet in a large bowl of warm (not hot) water, and even a chuck roast thaws relatively quickly.

We bought a KOIOS VS2233 Vacuum Sealer and two additional rolls (Houseables Vacuum Sealer Rolls Sous Vide 8 in x 50 ft and 11 in x 50 ft.

Since a recent update, my phone doesn’t want to post images grr

Reactions: SDV
If you want to seal stews, casseroles, and other runny things, freeze them first in a ziplock freezer bag and THEN vacuum seal (in a vacuum bag, not the ziplock.) Otherwise when the vacuum starts up, the liquid goes everywhere.

Reactions: SDV
If you want to seal stews, casseroles, and other runny things, freeze them first in a ziplock freezer bag and THEN vacuum seal (in a vacuum bag, not the ziplock.) Otherwise when the vacuum starts up, the liquid goes everywhere.
Or buy a vacuum sealer that has a "wet" function. I can make deer stew or chili or things of that nature and if you elevate the sealer above the level of the bag and contents ( 4-6 inches) it will pull the air out and seal cleanly. I will wet marinate alot of meats then seal them so I can pull them out of the freezer and toss into a sous vide straight from the freezer then sear it.

Reactions: VolNExile
Thought this was pretty cool

1. How long did he have to stand in the cold water to tend the chicken.
2. How long did it take to cook as such.
3. Flash flood and your dinner is SOL.
4. Pretty darn neat idea if you got time on your hand at camp.

Reactions: StarRaider
On Wed. I was planning my SB menu. I was looking to make an "upscale" pig in a blanket. My wife was wanting ABT's. A couple of bourbons later I had the great idea to combine the 2. If they're worth a SH^t I'll post a final pic.

I cut my jalaps in half and seeded them. Filled with smoked gouda 'minner cheese mixed with BBQ rub. Bought some 1/4 lb. black angus dogs from a local market, cut in half & quartered. Place a piece on top of the cheese mix. Draped with bacon. On the smoker now.. I plan on letting them cool, then wrapping in puff pastry and baking. We'll see.

ABT's.jpg

VN Store

Back