The Grill and BBQ thread

The center is just shredded pepperjack

The other key ingredients are green peppers, white onion, minced garlic, pepperjack instant mashed potato mix, homemade steak rub, Woodford Reserve bourbon
Instant potatoes vs. bread crumbs? If so, genius!

Anybody ever been to a Buc'ees? I guess they are in the midwest and Texas, making some inroads to the southern states now.

Anyway, my wife went to visit a sister in Georgia and she stopped at a Buc'ees on the way home. She got me a brisket sandwich from there. That thing probably sat in the car for 3 or 4 hours, then in the fridge for a couple of hours. Heated it up in the oven. I have to say, that is one of the absolute best brisket sandwiches I have ever had. Did not have high hopes for it, but man... the brisket was smoked perfectly and just melted in my mouth. Highly recommended if you come across one of those travel centers.

Anybody ever been to a Buc'ees? I guess they are in the midwest and Texas, making some inroads to the southern states now.

Anyway, my wife went to visit a sister in Georgia and she stopped at a Buc'ees on the way home. She got me a brisket sandwich from there. That thing probably sat in the car for 3 or 4 hours, then in the fridge for a couple of hours. Heated it up in the oven. I have to say, that is one of the absolute best brisket sandwiches I have ever had. Did not have high hopes for it, but man... the brisket was smoked perfectly and just melted in my mouth. Highly recommended if you come across one of those travel centers.

My fam in TX is obsessed with Bucees but I've only ever had their packaged junk food, which is good

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
20210221_165148.jpgI saw these at Costco today. They had a pile of them. I wonder how many folks in West Knoxville are ready to throw down $100/#. You better be dang confident in your grilling technique!

Honestly, I'd have to research how to best cook A5 beef. With that degree of marbling, I would think reverse sear might be the way to go. (It certainly worked on the big filets I did tonight!)

Definitely reverse sear, after which it can clean the house, wash my car, do the marketing, then present itself on my plate with a twice-baked potato....hold the ketchup

Reactions: VolNExile
View attachment 353305I saw these at Costco today. They had a pile of them. I wonder how many folks in West Knoxville are ready to throw down $100/#. You better be dang confident in your grilling technique!

Honestly, I'd have to research how to best cook A5 beef. With that degree of marbling, I would think reverse sear might be the way to go. (It certainly worked on the big filets I did tonight!)

Sous vide then sear?

Sous vide then sear?
That would probably work, as well. When I SV steak, I end up just searing in the cast iron dutch oven I use for the slow cook. Hard to justify getting the grill up and hot just for 2 minutes of cooking 🤣

Honestly, I think reverse sear at 200-225 over a good heat deflector and drip pan with fluid gives very similar results. Just depends on my mood (do I want the smoke and flame-kissed effect of charcoal?) and the weather.

That would probably work, as well. When I SV steak, I end up just searing in the cast iron dutch oven I use for the slow cook. Hard to justify getting the grill up and hot just for 2 minutes of cooking 🤣

Honestly, I think reverse sear at 200-225 over a good heat deflector and drip pan with fluid gives very similar results. Just depends on my mood (do I want the smoke and flame-kissed effect of charcoal?) and the weather.

I used to sear on the BGE then shut the heat down and finish, but since I've gotten an immersion circulator I've cooked then thrown on the hot BGE or seared on skillet.

I would just sear in a cast iron skillet for about 3-4 minutes per side. Wouldn't need the grill for those. Add a drop or two of Liquid Smoke.

Doing a Boston Butt on the smoker this weekend. Never done one before. I've got a rub and a brine I'm pretty confident in. My question is this: do I need to trim it or leave the fat on?

As far as Buc-ee's is concerned, there's one about 30 minutes north of Gulf Shores. We discovered it this past year. It's like a hedonistic convenience store. They have every possible junk food you can think of, along with dozens of flavors of beef jerky. Plus the brisket, tacos, cheeses, etc. And the bathrooms are the nicest, biggest, cleanest I've ever seen. I almost felt bad for using it.

Does anyone here use a temperature regulator for your grill/smoker? I have a WSM and have been looking at digiq and IQ works. Any knowledge in these products would be a huge help!

Doing a Boston Butt on the smoker this weekend. Never done one before. I've got a rub and a brine I'm pretty confident in. My question is this: do I need to trim it or leave the fat on?

As far as Buc-ee's is concerned, there's one about 30 minutes north of Gulf Shores. We discovered it this past year. It's like a hedonistic convenience store. They have every possible junk food you can think of, along with dozens of flavors of beef jerky. Plus the brisket, tacos, cheeses, etc. And the bathrooms are the nicest, biggest, cleanest I've ever seen. I almost felt bad for using it.
I'll sometimes trim it down, if it's got a thick cap on it. I never take it all the way off though. I usually leave a 1/4 inch or so. Then cook fat side up in the smoker.

VN Store

Back