The Grill and BBQ thread

Anybody got experience with an Oklahoma Joe smoker? I’m pretty sure it’s the Walmart house brand. Gonna try my hand at smoking, curious as to if this one is a good starter set.
Got one. Nice quality. My smoking game hasn’t taken off because it’s a bear getting supplies around here. Academy is my go to for wood chips and hardwood charcoal and that’s a production. Finally invested in a Pit Boss pellet smoker from Walmart (wife’s insistence), and also replaced my 6 year old Char-Broil propane grill with a Cuisanart upgrade. 5 burner with a smoking tube. Maiden voyage planned for tomorrow on the pellet smoker if the damn rain stops!
413AD78D-1E14-449B-A32A-8473E763A973.jpeg8B373EB6-B3EA-4402-9A90-D6D0513D3F68.jpeg

Anyone have experience cooking with an Argentinian grill? I went to a steakhouse last night that cooked with one and it was really good.

I have been using a rib rub recipe with cinnamon... dang that adds a special flavor. So good, neighbors rave over the flavor. Anyone try this?

Reactions: volinbham
Not grilling or BBQ but 2 new condiments I've tried: Crunchy Garlic in chili oil and Mina Harissa (Morrocan?)

The Crunchy Garlic is like spicy chili crisp - fantastic on rice. Put the Harissa on scrambled eggs today - fantastic. Going to try it as a marinade next. Have to go to the Chinese supermarket to find some spicy chili crisp - heard it's fantastic as well.

umami_gazou.png

181089-mina-harissa-spicy-10-oz--m149497-original.jpg

Reactions: volmanbill
Just eating in the Patigonia area of Argentina. Nothing special about their grills that I noticed. I thought it was the fire (hot coals) and the wood from a scrubby tree that grew there.
Anyone have experience cooking with an Argentinian grill? I went to a steakhouse last night that cooked with one and it was really good.

Love it when ham turns the darker color. Care to share the glaze?
I started with a recipe on the BGE forum and combined a couple other ideas:

½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available)
¼ cup honey
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 – 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 shot espresso
1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
Juice from a small orange
1/2 shot Bourbon (I used Corsair Triple Smoke)

Simmer to reduce until slightly thickened.

Results...

I was amazed how different this tasted. It had a "cleaner" smoke taste that penetrated deeper. Even my better half commented on it. After having lunch, I vacuum sealed (another xmas toy) the rest to reheat by sous vide later. '21 is going to be a well fed year if nothing else.

2C518ABA-1BFD-4537-A638-6D3768664435.jpeg

Last edited:
Anybody have a Vision kamado grill? Considering getting the Professional C-Series. Apparently Consumer Reports rates Vision as the 2nd best kamado style grill right behind Kamado Joe. They rate BGE dead last.

Thoughts?

Anybody have a Vision kamado grill? Considering getting the Professional C-Series. Apparently Consumer Reports rates Vision as the 2nd best kamado style grill right behind Kamado Joe. They rate BGE dead last.

Thoughts?
I don’t have a Vision but I have the Kamado Joe and to me it was worth every penny. Love that thing.

Thoughts?
Amazing Ribs is pretty high on them.
You can't really set them up for two zone like the Joe. But the difference in price is definitely note worthy. The only other kamados I know of that will do 2 zone are the new Slow and Sear Kamado and the Weber Charcoal Summit. Both of those will run you about the same as a Joe. The vision is probably the best Kamado at it's price point. Not having two zone is a deal breaker for me. But some folks don't feel as strongly about it as I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNRaleighNC

VN Store

Back