The Grill and BBQ thread

what kind of barrell smoker do you have?

Barrel House Cooker 14 inch. they also have an 18. better accessories included than Pit barrel, and I didn't need a 55 gallon size drum. (If I ever up size close to that large a barrel, I'll go with the Oklahoma Joe Barrel that came out.) More than enough room for 3 people. Can hang up to a 20 pound turkey, or 6 racks of ribs, or 3 chickens. Comes with good selection of accessories, plus more to add. I can also lay on rack half brisket, or a fairly decent sized pork butt. I really like it. It's hassle free, will burn 8 hours, maybe more on one load of coal. Easy to use. Don't know if they have production constraints with high demand or legalities because of the similar name to Pit barrel, but sometimes they just don't have any stock.

Reactions: theFallGuy
Barrel House Cooker 14 inch. they also have an 18. better accessories included than Pit barrel, and I didn't need a 55 gallon size drum. (If I ever up size close to that large a barrel, I'll go with the Oklahoma Joe Barrel that came out.) More than enough room for 3 people. Can hang up to a 20 pound turkey, or 6 racks of ribs, or 3 chickens. Comes with good selection of accessories, plus more to add. I can also lay on rack half brisket, or a fairly decent sized pork butt. I really like it. It's hassle free, will burn 8 hours, maybe more on one load of coal. Easy to use. Don't know if they have production constraints with high demand or legalities because of the similar name to Pit barrel, but sometimes they just don't have any stock.
There were some legal issues at one point. PBC said they stole the design and violated an NDA. Apparently the folks that make Barrel House worked with the PBC folks before they went to market, when they were looking for someone to manufacture them. BHC signed an NDA during that time. Pit Barrel eventually decided to make their own product. Then a couple of years after the PBC became popular, the Barrel House came out. Pit Barrel sued them and Barrel House settled. They pay royalties to Pit Barrel now. The lawsuit ended more than a year ago. So I doubt that's the issue, at this point. My guess is they sell out because they work well.

Last edited:
Hit up Costco.... chiken this time. Will fire off the smoker tomorrow, leg and thighs with sausages as a snack.

When I do burgers it’s normally a quick last ditch dinner option. Throw on a few patties and don’t think much about it. Even though it’s simple, I followed Fatheads method. They were delicious.

When I do burgers it’s normally a quick last ditch dinner option. Throw on a few patties and don’t think much about it. Even though it’s simple, I followed Fatheads method. They were delicious.
Cast iron pan on the grill and invest in brisket burgers...wife won’t let me go back to any other method.

Ok... experiment... not so good results.

Looked up recipe for juicy burgers. Says to add bread crumbs, milk, seasoning, Worcestershire, Olive oil. Made a grind using sirloin and chuck, great blend for sure.
But after adding all the ingredients, I had basically meatloaf. So, I made paddies and grilled them. Sure enough, good taste, but it was to close to meatloaf for me.

Good news is I held back on half of the grind and just made paddies out of the meat... will go traditional with these.

Reactions: JCHateSteve

Looked up recipe for juicy burgers. Says to add bread crumbs, milk, seasoning, Worcestershire, Olive oil. Made a grind using sirloin and chuck, great blend for sure.
But after adding all the ingredients, I had basically meatloaf. So, I made paddies and grilled them. Sure enough, good taste, but it was to close to meatloaf for me.

Good news is I held back on half of the grind and just made paddies out of the meat... will go traditional with these.

If you haven't tried smoked meatloaf, you should. Take that mix mold it into a loaf shape, smoke it low and slow. Raise the heat, glaze with your favorite KC style sauce at about 150, and let it caramelize on until it hits 160. GOOD STUFF.

For burgers I am a minimalist. Hand pattied ground chuck in 1/3 to 1/2 lb portions, put a thumb print in the middle to prevent swelling, then reverse sear. I like to throw in whatever wood I have on hand, to give them a tinge of smoke flavor.

I've played with "better" grinds of beef for burgers. I always come back to Chuck with a dash of salt and pepper. Some things are classic for a reason.

Instead of the bread crumbs, try crushed Ritz crackers and some Dale's sauce. the crackers soak up the juices and Dale's.

Yeah, I've tried a couple of those recipes, using bread crumbs, egg, liquid, etc., and I have never been pleased.

I pretty much only change the type of meat I use, now. Ground prime tenderloin (chain and tail) and bison are two options I would highly recommend.

Newest addition to the family. Can’t wait to use it. Any suggestions from anyone who has experience with one?

Attachments

• A4CAFA13-B5C9-4BA2-8C11-A6F8C0F5E1F9.jpeg
    A4CAFA13-B5C9-4BA2-8C11-A6F8C0F5E1F9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: franklinpence

VN Store

Back